Your First FT Match - Age/Date, Gun, Scope, etc., what was it like?

Your First FT Match - Age/Date, Gun, Scope, etc., what was it like?

October 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm #1

For me it was around 2005/6, I had a Daystate X2R FT with Big Nikko and JSBH's. Shooting holdover on some dope that John L. from my club ran on Chairgun for me the night before. I was shooting at 20x but ranging at 50x. It was inconceivable at the time that I could ever shoot at a magnification higher than 20x with all that wobble!!!

Paired up with Mark White and Douge Burke, a couple of spring piston shooters...Hit more than I missed and I was hooked.

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony

October 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm #2

46/June 2002, Talon SS, Swift/ABO-MilDot 4-12X44, CP's 14.3 grs.

We met at the lowlands of the Ajusco mountain, near México City on wht had been the headquarters for the Military Pentathlon. We had fabricated some wooden targets as per the AAFTA directions. And we had a LOT of fun!

From there, we had shoots in Morelia, San Luis Potosí, Veracruz, and other places around México. Way back then there were no other airgun clubs in the country. Now, you can find 22 registered Clubs all over and more people getting interested and practicing.

Perhaps it is interesting to say that for the next 4 years I shot FT with a Crosman 2275 (the 2200 with the conmemorative wooden stock) rebarelled to 0.177" with the large BSA 10-50X60 on top. It was a $400 scope on top of a $150 rifle. But it worked! LOL!

If you are interested in History, there is a LOT in the old AAFTA newsletters that got digitized:

http://aafta.org/html/communication/com ... etters.php

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

October 21st, 2010, 4:18 pm #3

For me it was around 2005/6, I had a Daystate X2R FT with Big Nikko and JSBH's. Shooting holdover on some dope that John L. from my club ran on Chairgun for me the night before. I was shooting at 20x but ranging at 50x. It was inconceivable at the time that I could ever shoot at a magnification higher than 20x with all that wobble!!!

Paired up with Mark White and Douge Burke, a couple of spring piston shooters...Hit more than I missed and I was hooked.

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
.......I drug an old R-9 with a 6-18 Trophy on it down to Heflin, AL for one of Libertymans inaugeral matches. I think it was Sept 2009, I was 54. A bunch of the GOB came down too.

I got to spend the day shooting with Roz Sumpter and Paul. What a blast.

Knobs
Last edited by Knobs on October 21st, 2010, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2010, 4:33 pm #4

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
When ... about 18mths ago
Age ...I was 38 about to turn 39 ....
where ...at the CASA range at Angeles Shooting range in Sylmar CA
With who ... I was paired with the infamous Larry Durham and Tim McMurray who took turns abusing me
because I showed up for my 1st match with a Whiscombe and the big Hawke Sidewinder scope! LOL

Nah not really but I missed way too many targets and realized very early on that yes a decent accurate rifle is important -
but it won't win matches on it's own...

It all about the shooter and practice, practice, practice, practice, and then some more practice.

Hooked and throughly addicted to the sport ... just not enough time to shoot.

Cheers
James

Last edited by AngliaUSA on October 21st, 2010, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2010, 4:51 pm #5

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
in the spring of 2008 - just observed - but I was hooked. The next month I showed up with a used RWS 52 I got from Pomona - had a BSA 3-12x airgun scope mounted (that scope is still around - currently mounted on a Crosman Storm XT for our annual Crosman match). Didn't hit that many, but learned a LOT. BTW - I shot that same gun with Hawke Eclipse 6-24x SF on it lat month and did considerably better - finished 2nd in piston div. - but I'm still learning. I'll be turning 65 next month - who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

October 21st, 2010, 4:51 pm #6

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
<p>Shootinng my (then) 6 week only factory stock Marauder in .177 with a Leapers 4-16x50 mildot using Crosman PHP's .</p><p>shot 16/45 (or 48 cant ever remember). I do remember thinking how easy it was, and at the same time thinking how bloody hard it was. </p><p>After the first target fell, I was addicted.</p><p>I think it helped that the first match was at a great facility, was a well run match and was shooting with great bunch of knowledge guys.</p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy

October 21st, 2010, 5:07 pm #7

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
850 CO2 .177..CenterPoint 4x16...age 67..need I say more...??? lol...
Last edited by richwoods on October 21st, 2010, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2010, 5:28 pm #8

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
I shot a diana 52 with williams peep sights and a globe and post front sight. I shot a
4/44 and was happy as a clam. I vowed to stay with iron sights till I shot 30%.MY strategy was to re-learn some fundamentals that I had not used since I was in the army shooting an M14 with similar sights, 40 years prior. I made my 30% after a few matches and put a scope on it. then I sold it and got a TX200. Perhaps I epitomize the "entry level" shooter progressing with practice and paying attention. Its been a really fun ride thanks to the tutilage of the great folks in CASA. ok, i'm 65 now so the math is easy.
Last edited by LARRYPIRRONE1 on October 21st, 2010, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2010, 6:58 pm #9

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
I believe I showed up with a Gamo Hunter @ 4x Gamo Scope. As i recall I was teamed up with Ron Jobbes and hit 7/36. I also remember that after the Match several CASA folks like Alan Otsuka and Richard Shimizu stayed around and helped me re zero my gun and took turns trying out my gun to see just how bad the trigger was but non the less encouraged me to stick with it.

I believe the next match I showed up with my QB78 purchased earlier that year from Tim McMurray @ MAC1 and a 16x scope that LD loaned me after I visited him at his place for a fun shoot we set up after joining the yellow forum.

I remember being very discourage seeing all the high priced rigs and wondering if I really wanted to spend the money it would take to get a good rifle and scope. I switched back forth between my Gamo and QB78 for several months until I decided to purchase a real gun. Again Tim @ MAC1 came through and made me a great deal on an HW97 with Venom Kit. I topped it with a 20x Mag 44 scope and was hooked once I had the right tools my scores improved greatly and my first big win was the AZ State Match as High Piston in 2004. I also was 2nd in the California State Match losing to Joe Haddod by 1 point after leading on the first day. The rest is history now and I am still going strong.

I am 56 now so i guess I would have been about 49 then.

" The world is not really round It is full of Peaks and Valleys"
Dave F.

lhd

October 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm #10

How bout you?

Regards,

Tony
In Ojai, California. I think I must have used my Silhouette rig, which was a mildly tuned HW77, fitted with a Weaver T16, shooting Superdomes lubed with Lemon Pledge. It was one of the first FT matches ever held in the USA, and it got me hooked. I have since competed regularly in one club or another, and hope to be able to continue for at least a few more years, health permitting.