You ever over-think a simple problem?

You ever over-think a simple problem?

June 3rd, 2012, 2:17 am #1

Well, I have. Several times. Most recently, it has been in relation to my P-rod. When I first got it, I couldn't get it to group to save my soul. Rather than going with the most simple solution, the one I have done on EVERY Crosman pistol I have owned, I made things hard on myself. I combed through dozens of posts about why P-rods scatter shots, about how pressure changes cause shifting POIs, about what pellets group best. I posted asking for solutions, all the while, ignoring the one thing I ALWAYS do with Crosmans. After all, how could such a fancy gun, compared to the "lowly" 1377 or "plain" 2240 have such a basic problem? So, I continued to read about how P-rods foul barrels and require frequent cleanings (which I also did), I researched what fill pressures and spring tension/hammer throws were best, and I tried everything I read - except that one little thing. Today, I received some highly recommended H&N FTT pellets with the 5.55mm head, and when they didn't group, I was ready to put it on the classifieds. But before I did, I spent 10 minutes doing that one little thing that Crosman MUST have learned to do before sending out a gun by now, but apparently has not. I pulled off my barrel, took off the air stripper, recrowned it, and ran a patch with JB bore paste down the barrel 25 times. Problem solved. So, numerous hours of frustration and well over 1,000 pellets later, it's stacking pellets at 25 yards and making headshots on cowbirds. Arrgh!!! Will I ever learn? Probably not, but in the meantime, I've (finally) got myself a sweet shootin' little P-rod to pass the time with!
Chris

June 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm #2

Sweet stuff, kudos for diy. Did it end up liking the 5.55 mm after the JB?

June 4th, 2012, 1:04 am #3

Thanks. Yes, it really seems to like the 5.55 FTTs. I am hitting where I aim pretty consistently. Just since yesterday it had taken 3 cowbirds, a rat and a squirrel. The rat, squirrel, and one of the birds were headshots ranging from 10 to 20 yards. By no means difficult shots, but the accuracy is repeatable shot after shot, which makes me happy.

June 5th, 2012, 10:41 am #4

Chris I was wondering how you were doing with the Prod. Glad you found the problem. I went through the same, mine would stack two or three in the exact same hole with JSB 14.3s 5.52s and then would through a flyer low and right 1/4" or more and I thought it might be me pulling the trigger. I was happy with it for a while after polishing the breech and bore but it still would suddenly throw a flyer. I bought a LW barrel from Jim and compaired the bore ID and rifling to the stocker and wow no comparison. If you get the LW you wont need those large 5.55 pellets anymore and any flyers will be from you or bent pellet skirts. Also the stock barrel can have a tight leade in that will under size the pellets and cause flyers, after I polished the inleade on my stocker the flyers stopped.
Last edited by REARSPROCKET on June 12th, 2012, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2012, 4:46 pm #5

Yeah, LW barrels are pretty nice. My Airforce Talon has one, and I have yet to find a pellet it won't shoot pretty well. It makes one hole groups at 25 yards with several brands and types of pellets. Since getting the P-rod, I have designated it my "beyond 30 yards gun", and it's current diet is the 18.1 grain JSBs at about 875 fps. Wicked combo. As far as the P-rod goes, I am content with the combo I have for now, but like you, I do get the occasional flier that I'd like to eliminate. At some point I may upgrade to the LW barrel, but right now money's tight and I have to pick my battles. If Crosman ever decides to make a .177 version, I may buy the parts to switch it over and go with one of the .177 LW barrels from Jim. I know I can get a 1701 upper and do this right now, but I really dig the magazine for the follow up shots. So, I'll wait patiently and save my pennies until that time comes.
Thanks,
Chris

June 9th, 2012, 3:18 am #6

Well, I have. Several times. Most recently, it has been in relation to my P-rod. When I first got it, I couldn't get it to group to save my soul. Rather than going with the most simple solution, the one I have done on EVERY Crosman pistol I have owned, I made things hard on myself. I combed through dozens of posts about why P-rods scatter shots, about how pressure changes cause shifting POIs, about what pellets group best. I posted asking for solutions, all the while, ignoring the one thing I ALWAYS do with Crosmans. After all, how could such a fancy gun, compared to the "lowly" 1377 or "plain" 2240 have such a basic problem? So, I continued to read about how P-rods foul barrels and require frequent cleanings (which I also did), I researched what fill pressures and spring tension/hammer throws were best, and I tried everything I read - except that one little thing. Today, I received some highly recommended H&N FTT pellets with the 5.55mm head, and when they didn't group, I was ready to put it on the classifieds. But before I did, I spent 10 minutes doing that one little thing that Crosman MUST have learned to do before sending out a gun by now, but apparently has not. I pulled off my barrel, took off the air stripper, recrowned it, and ran a patch with JB bore paste down the barrel 25 times. Problem solved. So, numerous hours of frustration and well over 1,000 pellets later, it's stacking pellets at 25 yards and making headshots on cowbirds. Arrgh!!! Will I ever learn? Probably not, but in the meantime, I've (finally) got myself a sweet shootin' little P-rod to pass the time with!
Chris
What is an air stripper ?

June 9th, 2012, 4:04 pm #7

It's that thing on the end of the barrel with the holes drilled in it with the o-ring that also provides support to the shroud. The purpose of the holes is to direct air away from the muzzle and into the shroud. I suppose it could also be a muzzle brake, but air stripper was just what happened to come to mind when I was writing the post.
Chris