You can ruin a barrel by over cleaning.........

You can ruin a barrel by over cleaning.........

September 8th, 2010, 11:57 am #1

had one come into the shop yesterday, had gotten an e-mail from the customer saying the barrel was filthy when he got the rifle so kind of had an idea what to expect. I had done the JB bore paste on it before it left the shop and had run a few patches through to get the excess out, did my usual push a pellet through to check. When the barrel arrived it had 1/2 to 3/4 of the rifleing removed by incorrect cleaning, it had been cleaned so much that the choke had been removed and you couldn't see the rifleing at the muzzle. Back off a bit on the cleaning and just shoot it in. Needless to say no warranty on that one....remember tha barrels are mild steel, no tempering to speak of

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Last edited by mikeiniowa on September 8th, 2010, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2010, 1:08 pm #2

What would be appropriate? I have cleaned mine 2 times since I got it. Used Goof off on a cotton bore mop about 4 or 5 passes and that's about it.

September 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm #3

scrubbing a barrel to death with paste and a bore brush will remove soft metal rifling real quick. You should never have to scrub a barrel that much! Just pull a patch with a little goo-gone or Rem oil every couple hundred shots and you should be fine. If your barrel is leading up that bad, clean or change your ammo!

September 8th, 2010, 3:50 pm #4

had one come into the shop yesterday, had gotten an e-mail from the customer saying the barrel was filthy when he got the rifle so kind of had an idea what to expect. I had done the JB bore paste on it before it left the shop and had run a few patches through to get the excess out, did my usual push a pellet through to check. When the barrel arrived it had 1/2 to 3/4 of the rifleing removed by incorrect cleaning, it had been cleaned so much that the choke had been removed and you couldn't see the rifleing at the muzzle. Back off a bit on the cleaning and just shoot it in. Needless to say no warranty on that one....remember tha barrels are mild steel, no tempering to speak of

mailto:flyingdragonairrifles@hotmail.com
Even heavy cleaning (from the breach) shouldn't wipe out the choke. If you are too lazy to pull the bolt on a bolt gun or take down a sliding chamber springer, maybe you shouldn't have bore paste in your shop?

Sorry for the rant, I've seen so many brass barrel guns with great rifling,I almost cry over the few ruined by carelessness.

September 8th, 2010, 8:14 pm #5

Worn barrels are usually the victim of the cleaning rod not the brush.

Can't let 'em rub you know. That's why the pull through is popular these days.

And just how do you split the weed whacker line to hold the patch?

Cheers

Cal

September 8th, 2010, 9:18 pm #6

Even heavy cleaning (from the breach) shouldn't wipe out the choke. If you are too lazy to pull the bolt on a bolt gun or take down a sliding chamber springer, maybe you shouldn't have bore paste in your shop?

Sorry for the rant, I've seen so many brass barrel guns with great rifling,I almost cry over the few ruined by carelessness.
Letting a rod bing-bong on the sides of the breech end doesn't do a barrel any good either.

If you are going to use a rod, even from the breech, use a thin one, make a delrin guide to keep it centered, and don't use so tight a patch that the rod bows when in use.

September 9th, 2010, 1:17 am #7

Has plastic coated cable for safe pull thru cleaning. Still, dont overdo it.

September 9th, 2010, 1:54 am #8

Letting a rod bing-bong on the sides of the breech end doesn't do a barrel any good either.

If you are going to use a rod, even from the breech, use a thin one, make a delrin guide to keep it centered, and don't use so tight a patch that the rod bows when in use.
When cleaning bores on open action arms,
The bare rod goes in from the muzzle, then the patch is inserted in the slot, carefully folded just so
The solvent or oil is applied, and the patch is then pulled through.

Some "debris" is at times pushed into the magazine or other breech regions when the rod goes in, to be cleared out later. but... That's the way I do it!

Evils lurk in all dark corners!

Cal

September 9th, 2010, 1:54 am #9

nt
Last edited by CalG on September 9th, 2010, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 9th, 2010, 1:56 am #10

When my ISP decides to slow way down, which it does all too often.

Without my clicking the submit button, multiple copies of the post show up.

Thank you for your generosity, Comcast !

And thank you for your bearing along, readers
Last edited by CalG on September 9th, 2010, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.