Would you buy an HPA bottle if the vendor wouldn't tell you who manufactured it?

Would you buy an HPA bottle if the vendor wouldn't tell you who manufactured it?

May 11th, 2012, 9:08 pm #1

I was in search of a small HPA bottle and one of the vendors (the one I'm going to purchase from) had no problem telling me the manufacturer. Another one I called refused to disclose that information. Now I'm going to be holding a potential bomb if the thing is poorly made so, to me at least, knowing that it was made by a reputable firm gives me a little peace of mind. Your thoughts?

May 11th, 2012, 9:51 pm #2

how do you know that you're going to be holding a "bomb" just because you don't know what company actually built the cylinder? Do you really think a failed cylider will literally explode randomly? Look up scuba rockets on Youtube: it's quite interesting and nothing like a "bomb". Let's say you do know who made the cylinder, how does that mean it is good/bad, unless there is a documented history of shoddy workmanship/materials?

Just something to ask youself: does it really matter?

May 11th, 2012, 9:55 pm #3

I was in search of a small HPA bottle and one of the vendors (the one I'm going to purchase from) had no problem telling me the manufacturer. Another one I called refused to disclose that information. Now I'm going to be holding a potential bomb if the thing is poorly made so, to me at least, knowing that it was made by a reputable firm gives me a little peace of mind. Your thoughts?
Why isn't the seller forthcoming with the information? Seems like a reasonable question. Makes you wonder what else he isn't telling.

May 11th, 2012, 10:19 pm #4

There is one company here in the U.S. that makes 90% of the regulators and bottles that bare the claim "Made in USA". This same company will manufacture for the single individual. I opt to go directly to the manufacturer. Reason? Price. Directly it is less money out of my pocket every time I did so.

There is another company out of China that makes regulators and bottles that are very similar to the U.S. made. Some vendors that claim "U.S. made" are actually selling the Chinese made. Not that the Chinese made is a bad product, which mine has been very good, it is the fact that some of us take to heart where the product is made. If we are lied to, it is that much worse.

On my Chinese made bottle, the one I was told "Made in USA", the scuba shop read the code on the bottle then corrected the assumption of made in USA.

There you have it.

Edit:
One potential reason the vendor will not tell you is the fact that you may go directly to the manufacturer yourself and actually save a few bucks.

Oh. My reference is the small HPA bottles and regs mainly used in paintball, but found their way to our guns - not scuba gear stuff.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
Last edited by Duane30 on May 11th, 2012, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 10:31 pm #5

how do you know that you're going to be holding a "bomb" just because you don't know what company actually built the cylinder? Do you really think a failed cylider will literally explode randomly? Look up scuba rockets on Youtube: it's quite interesting and nothing like a "bomb". Let's say you do know who made the cylinder, how does that mean it is good/bad, unless there is a documented history of shoddy workmanship/materials?

does it really matter how the tank fails if your hand is around 3K of pressure? I've seen the aftermath of a 80CUFT tank expolsion and I really want no part of that on any scale. My thought is that a company like Luxfer or Catalina who has a long track record of manufacturing safe pressure tanks would be a better bet than one made by an unknown. But that's just my opinion.

May 11th, 2012, 10:31 pm #6

Why isn't the seller forthcoming with the information? Seems like a reasonable question. Makes you wonder what else he isn't telling.
nt

May 12th, 2012, 12:28 am #7

unexpectedly after passing tests. These were approved vessels that also "shouldn't" have exploded.

http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/Cscuba.htm

May 12th, 2012, 11:41 am #8

There is one company here in the U.S. that makes 90% of the regulators and bottles that bare the claim "Made in USA". This same company will manufacture for the single individual. I opt to go directly to the manufacturer. Reason? Price. Directly it is less money out of my pocket every time I did so.

There is another company out of China that makes regulators and bottles that are very similar to the U.S. made. Some vendors that claim "U.S. made" are actually selling the Chinese made. Not that the Chinese made is a bad product, which mine has been very good, it is the fact that some of us take to heart where the product is made. If we are lied to, it is that much worse.

On my Chinese made bottle, the one I was told "Made in USA", the scuba shop read the code on the bottle then corrected the assumption of made in USA.

There you have it.

Edit:
One potential reason the vendor will not tell you is the fact that you may go directly to the manufacturer yourself and actually save a few bucks.

Oh. My reference is the small HPA bottles and regs mainly used in paintball, but found their way to our guns - not scuba gear stuff.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
the country of origin.