World Auto Makers Rated For Long-Term Reliability:

World Auto Makers Rated For Long-Term Reliability:

March 14th, 2012, 5:51 pm #1

Consumer Reports has been rating cars since 1936.(When I came along!)

Every car (Over 270 rated in this issue) has its reliability and frequency-of-repair records compiled and published in every April issue of Consumer Reports, which is the Annual Auto Issue.

Each car is rated in 16 categories over its past 6 years of service. The data is compiled from owners who sent in their complaints.

For many years, Honda and Toyota have enjoyed the top spots in reliability...until this year.

Here are Consumer Reports findings of 13 automakers' proucts, starting with this year's top rating: SUBARU:

SUBARU
MAZDA
TOYOTA
HONDA
NISSAN
VOLVO
HYUNDAI
BMW
VOLKSWAGEN
FORD
MERCEDES-BENZ
GENERAL MOTORS
CHRYSLER

Harold

March 14th, 2012, 7:16 pm #2

all i want to know as an owner is that it will last a long time, and not be prone to unreasonable and expensive repairs.
there are places to go for information. owners groups are a great resource. your local mechanic will have a very close idea. the ultimate arbiter is the junkyard guy who knows exactly how many miles cars get before being driven in. very few people take the time to talk to these guys.
show me a mitsubishi car that has very high miles before going to the junkyard, and there a few other usual suspects.
btw hal congrats on the car please keep us in the loop about the fuel mileage and owner experience.
you are to be commended for being a gas miser.

small caliber joy

March 14th, 2012, 7:50 pm #3

The used car market is the best form of knowing.

For Example,

Here in Mexico we get all the used cars 7 years and older that you guys don't want anymore.

A '95 Toyota Camry costs the same as a 2000 Ford Contour.

So at least here Japanese cars are the workhorses, they won't let you down, parts are not hard to find and not too expensive, easily fixed.

I remember a friend giving me sh!t for my '95 Camry while he had a 2004 Contour. I just told him in 5 years my car will still be on the streets while his would be in the junk yard.

6 months later he had transmission problems that noone could fix after several trips to the mechanic, he dumped the car and bought a Toyota. Same story with Dodge, Chevrolet, GMC etc.

German cars are good and reliable but parts are expensive.

Sick 'em Hoff!!!

March 14th, 2012, 7:59 pm #4

Every car (Over 270 rated in this issue) has its reliability and frequency-of-repair records compiled and published in every April issue of Consumer Reports, which is the Annual Auto Issue.

Each car is rated in 16 categories over its past 6 years of service. The data is compiled from owners who sent in their complaints.

For many years, Honda and Toyota have enjoyed the top spots in reliability...until this year.

Here are Consumer Reports findings of 13 automakers' proucts, starting with this year's top rating: SUBARU:

SUBARU
MAZDA
TOYOTA
HONDA
NISSAN
VOLVO
HYUNDAI
BMW
VOLKSWAGEN
FORD
MERCEDES-BENZ
GENERAL MOTORS
CHRYSLER

Harold

People like my Father who make decisions based on reading consumer reports lead boring lives. None of the manufacturers of my cars are even on the list. The fun ends when consumer reports is on the coffee table.

March 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm #5

all i want to know as an owner is that it will last a long time, and not be prone to unreasonable and expensive repairs.
there are places to go for information. owners groups are a great resource. your local mechanic will have a very close idea. the ultimate arbiter is the junkyard guy who knows exactly how many miles cars get before being driven in. very few people take the time to talk to these guys.
show me a mitsubishi car that has very high miles before going to the junkyard, and there a few other usual suspects.
btw hal congrats on the car please keep us in the loop about the fuel mileage and owner experience.
you are to be commended for being a gas miser.

small caliber joy
Ol' Hal

March 14th, 2012, 8:38 pm #6

People like my Father who make decisions based on reading consumer reports lead boring lives. None of the manufacturers of my cars are even on the list. The fun ends when consumer reports is on the coffee table.
Maybe,but we make informed decisions based on good information! Consumer Reports does a great job of keeping us informed.

Ejwills

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

March 14th, 2012, 8:42 pm #7

And I also lead a boring life!

See?

Hal

March 14th, 2012, 8:51 pm #8

as many resources as it takes,which means  Consumer Reports is  one of many references ;when it comes to home entertainment they don't know squat,but for cars and appliance's and such they are a good source....by the way I almost bought the Mazda type you did,it was a peppy  good looking vehicle...my friend did buy one, a bright copper colored one.
Last edited by boscoebrea on March 14th, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 14th, 2012, 11:49 pm #9

SUBARU
MAZDA
TOYOTA
HONDA
NISSAN
VOLVO
HYUNDAI
BMW
VOLKSWAGEN
FORD
MERCEDES-BENZ
GENERAL MOTORS
CHRYSLER

Harold

One thing for sure, not where there's road salt.....even though Subaru has replaced the Saab as the state car of Vermont.

March 15th, 2012, 12:58 am #10

SUBARU
MAZDA
TOYOTA
HONDA
NISSAN
VOLVO
HYUNDAI
BMW
VOLKSWAGEN
FORD
MERCEDES-BENZ
GENERAL MOTORS