Words of Wisdom please for a HFT Newbie

Words of Wisdom please for a HFT Newbie

June 13th, 2012, 8:29 pm #1

I've NEVER shot HFT in competition before ... but I will be for the Oregon Western Championships at the end of this month

My scope knob software died on me so I have no way to figure out a click tape and I leave tomorow to begin my 4 week RV tour / Odyssey up the west coast
to Oregon and beyond ... with the whole family in tow ....

anyway my kids are all shooting HFT so I am going to join them and give it a whirl with my Whizzer ....

Mill dots and hold over will be the name of the game for me - even though I am used to clicking and shooting open division
with a big Nikko Diamond Scope ... I'd love to get some words of wisdom from those of you that
regularly shoot HFT

I'm thinking of trying to shoot Prone with a bipod when possible as I am still limber enough to get up and down ....

anyway see ya in Grants Pass -

cont. safe shooting to all

James

lhd

June 13th, 2012, 8:39 pm #2

Is the NEED a "soft rest" to perform really well. I don't think a bipod would be very good unless you have resiliant padding between it and the gun. I also feel it would be quite awkward cocking the gun while lying on the ground.

But I know you like a challenge, so try it out and see. Since the venue is at only 1200 feet or so, springers should work just fine.

June 13th, 2012, 9:03 pm #3

I've NEVER shot HFT in competition before ... but I will be for the Oregon Western Championships at the end of this month

My scope knob software died on me so I have no way to figure out a click tape and I leave tomorow to begin my 4 week RV tour / Odyssey up the west coast

anyway my kids are all shooting HFT so I am going to join them and give it a whirl with my Whizzer ....

Mill dots and hold over will be the name of the game for me - even though I am used to clicking and shooting open division
with a big Nikko Diamond Scope ... I'd love to get some words of wisdom from those of you that
regularly shoot HFT

I'm thinking of trying to shoot Prone with a bipod when possible as I am still limber enough to get up and down ....

James

I would say that you are better off using the standard FT position, if you are steady in that position.

Whizzers need 6 operations to load (at least the three strokes ones), so doing it from the prone position does sound like a challenge to your stamina, if not to your strength and flexibility.

Rod used two thick kneepads (one each side) to "register" his hands' positions. He does not allow the rifle to sit on any hard part of his anatomy. He also uses a thick glove where the gun is held loosely. His buttpad is sand filled and real hard and heavy. He uses a Bushnell and clicks up and down, so no help for you there, but there are good scopes with mils, and half mils reticules out there that should be useful to you.

As per the rifle/scope, it seemed peculiar that he uses a steel RWS adjustable mount of the old school. I know these bases are hard to setup for some, but I also know that they are VERY rigid when properly setup, so you MAY want to look into that aspect.

If you are limber and have a strong back to hold you steady using the FT position, you might be better off using that than changeing your game a few weeks prior to the Match.

Make sure you know what are the subtensions in MOA's of your reticule at the magnification you will be using (remember: not more than 12X at any time, and only if 12X is marked on your scope, if it is not, then the immediate, lower mark). If you know the subtensions, then Chairgun will give you your trajectory in MOA's above or below LOS and you can use this to hold over, under and sideways for wind. You do not need a clicking tape.

HTH and Good luck!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

June 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm #4

Is the NEED a "soft rest" to perform really well. I don't think a bipod would be very good unless you have resiliant padding between it and the gun. I also feel it would be quite awkward cocking the gun while lying on the ground.

But I know you like a challenge, so try it out and see. Since the venue is at only 1200 feet or so, springers should work just fine.
Watching you knock them down with that LD USFT Special design is awe inspiring !

Hopefully I'll get to practice a little whilst on my road trip ..... and get a feel for sticks and seat or bipod and mat ....

I agree on a soft cushion between the bipod and rifle - it hates a hard rest

My father is Ex SAS (UK Special forces) and he taught me to shoot prone ..... sniper style .... I think I was only 8 years old !

I rarely shoot prone these days ... but I'm sure it will all come back to me .. LOL

'question' do you range with the scope or just eye ball the distance and give it your best quess ?

I'm using a Hawke Eclipse 30mm scope and I custom machined a big wheel for the range distances ... and I'm shooting my soft sprung JW60 .177
which is shooting around 13.5 ft lbs with 10.5 H&N Baracudas

ranging exact distance is VERY challenging at x12 power ... I guess like anything it just takes lots of practice !

Here is my JW60 all set up for HFT

June 13th, 2012, 9:37 pm #5

I would say that you are better off using the standard FT position, if you are steady in that position.

Whizzers need 6 operations to load (at least the three strokes ones), so doing it from the prone position does sound like a challenge to your stamina, if not to your strength and flexibility.

Rod used two thick kneepads (one each side) to "register" his hands' positions. He does not allow the rifle to sit on any hard part of his anatomy. He also uses a thick glove where the gun is held loosely. His buttpad is sand filled and real hard and heavy. He uses a Bushnell and clicks up and down, so no help for you there, but there are good scopes with mils, and half mils reticules out there that should be useful to you.

As per the rifle/scope, it seemed peculiar that he uses a steel RWS adjustable mount of the old school. I know these bases are hard to setup for some, but I also know that they are VERY rigid when properly setup, so you MAY want to look into that aspect.

If you are limber and have a strong back to hold you steady using the FT position, you might be better off using that than changeing your game a few weeks prior to the Match.

Make sure you know what are the subtensions in MOA's of your reticule at the magnification you will be using (remember: not more than 12X at any time, and only if 12X is marked on your scope, if it is not, then the immediate, lower mark). If you know the subtensions, then Chairgun will give you your trajectory in MOA's above or below LOS and you can use this to hold over, under and sideways for wind. You do not need a clicking tape.

HTH and Good luck!

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
except I think Roz shoot OPEN not Hunter .....

I know the open game ... I'm just not experienced with Hunter ...

anyway I appreciate the words of wisdom !
cheer
james

lhd

June 13th, 2012, 11:23 pm #6

Watching you knock them down with that LD USFT Special design is awe inspiring !

Hopefully I'll get to practice a little whilst on my road trip ..... and get a feel for sticks and seat or bipod and mat ....

I agree on a soft cushion between the bipod and rifle - it hates a hard rest

My father is Ex SAS (UK Special forces) and he taught me to shoot prone ..... sniper style .... I think I was only 8 years old !

I rarely shoot prone these days ... but I'm sure it will all come back to me .. LOL

'question' do you range with the scope or just eye ball the distance and give it your best quess ?

I'm using a Hawke Eclipse 30mm scope and I custom machined a big wheel for the range distances ... and I'm shooting my soft sprung JW60 .177
which is shooting around 13.5 ft lbs with 10.5 H&N Baracudas

ranging exact distance is VERY challenging at x12 power ... I guess like anything it just takes lots of practice !

Here is my JW60 all set up for HFT

As out of well over 20 years of FT shooting, all but about four years total were by holdover versus clicking. But my experience with low powered scopes in FT use is around six years or a bit more.

I mostly range by eye, but use the scope as my primary at close range, but rely more and more on my eyeballing at longer ranges. I generally USE the scope PA everytime, but if it "seems wrong", I reset the distance on the PA ring by just putting to the number I think is right. As I said, I generally try to preset the ring before looking at the target anyhow.

I can't say its best for you, esp since nobody I know of seems to do it the same as I do, but it works for me. I learned this method hunting groundsquirrels, as the prefocus method seems to allow much faster locating of the targets when going from eye spotting to scope aiming. Many years of squirrel hunting with .22 RF has shown a good 12X to be superior, even at out to 150yds, than really high mag scopes, mostly because u find and track them easier and faster, so its about all I like for that.

June 14th, 2012, 3:12 am #7

except I think Roz shoot OPEN not Hunter .....

I know the open game ... I'm just not experienced with Hunter ...

anyway I appreciate the words of wisdom !
cheer
james

and Roz is not Rod.

STUDY the match scores. I was referring to Rod Bradley.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

June 14th, 2012, 3:35 am #8

regularly shoot HFT

James

If you're COMFORTABLE shooting from a bum bag, do that. nt

June 14th, 2012, 5:19 am #9

and Roz is not Rod.

STUDY the match scores. I was referring to Rod Bradley.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
but Rod still shoots Open and not Hunter .. right ?

June 14th, 2012, 3:18 pm #10

Rod shot WFTF Spring-Piston class/division.

His score (107) would have won in WFTF-PCP also, had there been no division between spring and PCP and only a WFTF class.

He shot VERY well and observing him was a lesson in itself.

He was ranging at high magnification and clicking, but He and his Whiscombe were spot on all the time. The VERY FEW misses were mostly because the pellets were drifting LESS in the wind than he was expecting, or the extreme inclination of some targets got his position off kilter.

As I said hereunder in the other thread: Sharing the lanes with Rod was a pleasure and a privilege.

I struggled with my lateral zero and was remiss in correcting when I should have. Once I corrected it as I should have from the beginning, the targets started falling as they should.

But, coming back to Hunter Class, piston Division; which is where this thread started at, my point is that at 18 ft-lbs in 0.177" (10.X grs. pellets), which the Whiscombes are capable of delivering, ranging at 12X is NOT that critical. The trajectory difference between the 50 yard and the 55 yards shot is a LITTLE ABOVE ¼ mil. while the kill zone at that range will be in the region of 0.8 mil across (True mils here).

That is where the knowledge of EXACTLY how your "dots" or marks ACTUALLY SUBTEND is critical. You have a clear, present and objective measurement of which are the limits of your shot right there in the reticule, and can take aim accordingly.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor