Woo Hoo, Puma Sharps Innova Arrived! - PICS

Woo Hoo, Puma Sharps Innova Arrived! - PICS

April 30th, 2010, 2:48 am #1

Well I've been on a MSP kick lately and Paul Self on the classifieds finally got the better of me with his ads for these Chinese variants of the Japanese Sharps Rifles that have developed quite a following over the years(myself included!).

Paul accurately described that these guns feel like the entry level US made msp rifles from Crosman, Daisy, etc. but that the power levels are significantly greater and that accuracy was quite good.

Well after opening the box, and taking hold of the rifle and giving it a glance over, yes it does feel like an affordable Crosman 760 pumper, perhaps a bit lighter in weight though. The bolt operation is very similar to a BSA Hornet/Ultra/Sportsman HV with the bolt being spring loaded. To open the bolt, you depress a tiny lever on the right side of the breech and the bolt pops rearward.

The receiver is made of plastic/synthetic material but feels durable and the barrel is threaded at the end for accessories! Pumping this rifle makes one think MAC1 Steroided Benjamin/Sheridan, perhaps slightly more difficult to be honest, lol, it was quite surprising!!! After pumping it a couple times it also made me think "Put some of MAC1's Secret Sauce" on the pumping linkage pivot points!!!" so I applied Secret Sauce and then cleaned the barrel in preparation of testing.

Due to the design of the gun, the more you pump, the heavier the trigger pull weight. That said, the trigger is decent, offers one adjustment screw and at lower pumps is light enough, its just that you don't hit any second stage wall or any sorts, you just kind of pull through and it fires. Admittedly, I couldn't leave well enough alone and removed the trigger blade to access one of the trigger springs to swap in a lighter and shorter one!!!

I set up my F1 Chrony, grabbed a tin of 8.44gr Exacts to gather the following:

Pump # FPS
1 337.9
2 454.6
3 545.7
4 606.7
5 628.1
6 647.3
7 674.5
8 701.5
9 728.5
10 764.6
11 783.6
12 784.5

Roughly 12fpe, good power but will it group at any power level? I quickly mounted a Tasco Varmint 2.5 - 10 x 42AO Mildot Scope and set up a target on the side of my house to shoot before the sun dropped down.

It's windy and cold so I limited the range to 15 yards so the house would block the wind! Testing it at 3 pumps showed me that it would spray JSB Express but Exacts would print one tiny hole about the size of a .20 pellet without much effort.

Will do more pellet testing and mount a William's Aperture Sight on it next! All in all, very happy with this purchase, may get another to serve as a loaner! Thanks again Paul, this rifle was well worth the money for my needs!

Regards,

Tony

April 30th, 2010, 5:04 am #2

Tony give us the real story. You have enough guns to go to airgun war, so I respect your opinion.From one to ten? One being a new model red rider, and ten being a 397 how is it? Is it worth $100? You mentioned 760, that cant be a good thing. Might need the stock foam filled.

April 30th, 2010, 6:49 am #3

I just aquired one in .177 and I'm amazed.It's a pump pnuematic like a Sheridan or Benjamin. It's Chinese and was $93.00 shipped.There has been a fellow selling them on the airgun classifieds and the Yellow classifieds.It's all black stock is plastic metal is fairly nicely polished and blued.Rear peep sight front globe with post.End of barrel is threaded 1/2x20,this is actually the plastic front sight base the barrel is recessed.The receiver is groved for a scope.The trigger might be adjustable but I haven't gone that far into it yet.I haven't looked at accuracy yet.I can't get past the velocity.I'm getting 950+ fps with forteen pumps,can't believe it.Going to go pump at a time next time.It has automatic cocking like the old Crosman pumps.It dumps all the air every shot also.I used an LDC i had and it works pretty good.Still has a pop at 950 fps but it's alot less than with out it.Just wondering if I should be as amazed as I am.

April 30th, 2010, 8:57 am #4

Well I've been on a MSP kick lately and Paul Self on the classifieds finally got the better of me with his ads for these Chinese variants of the Japanese Sharps Rifles that have developed quite a following over the years(myself included!).

Paul accurately described that these guns feel like the entry level US made msp rifles from Crosman, Daisy, etc. but that the power levels are significantly greater and that accuracy was quite good.

Well after opening the box, and taking hold of the rifle and giving it a glance over, yes it does feel like an affordable Crosman 760 pumper, perhaps a bit lighter in weight though. The bolt operation is very similar to a BSA Hornet/Ultra/Sportsman HV with the bolt being spring loaded. To open the bolt, you depress a tiny lever on the right side of the breech and the bolt pops rearward.

The receiver is made of plastic/synthetic material but feels durable and the barrel is threaded at the end for accessories! Pumping this rifle makes one think MAC1 Steroided Benjamin/Sheridan, perhaps slightly more difficult to be honest, lol, it was quite surprising!!! After pumping it a couple times it also made me think "Put some of MAC1's Secret Sauce" on the pumping linkage pivot points!!!" so I applied Secret Sauce and then cleaned the barrel in preparation of testing.

Due to the design of the gun, the more you pump, the heavier the trigger pull weight. That said, the trigger is decent, offers one adjustment screw and at lower pumps is light enough, its just that you don't hit any second stage wall or any sorts, you just kind of pull through and it fires. Admittedly, I couldn't leave well enough alone and removed the trigger blade to access one of the trigger springs to swap in a lighter and shorter one!!!

Pump # FPS
1 337.9
2 454.6
3 545.7
4 606.7
5 628.1
6 647.3
7 674.5
8 701.5
9 728.5
10 764.6
11 783.6
12 784.5

Roughly 12fpe, good power but will it group at any power level? I quickly mounted a Tasco Varmint 2.5 - 10 x 42AO Mildot Scope and set up a target on the side of my house to shoot before the sun dropped down.

It's windy and cold so I limited the range to 15 yards so the house would block the wind! Testing it at 3 pumps showed me that it would spray JSB Express but Exacts would print one tiny hole about the size of a .20 pellet without much effort.

Will do more pellet testing and mount a William's Aperture Sight on it next! All in all, very happy with this purchase, may get another to serve as a loaner! Thanks again Paul, this rifle was well worth the money for my needs!

Regards,

Tony

id get one if they came in 22.
Last edited by itsnotom on April 30th, 2010, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2010, 11:07 pm #5

Pump # FPS
1 337.9
2 454.6
3 545.7
4 606.7
5 628.1
6 647.3
7 674.5
8 701.5
9 728.5
10 764.6
11 783.6
12 784.5

Regards,

Tony

?

May 1st, 2010, 11:20 am #6

I just aquired one in .177 and I'm amazed.It's a pump pnuematic like a Sheridan or Benjamin. It's Chinese and was $93.00 shipped.There has been a fellow selling them on the airgun classifieds and the Yellow classifieds.It's all black stock is plastic metal is fairly nicely polished and blued.Rear peep sight front globe with post.End of barrel is threaded 1/2x20,this is actually the plastic front sight base the barrel is recessed.The receiver is groved for a scope.The trigger might be adjustable but I haven't gone that far into it yet.I haven't looked at accuracy yet.I can't get past the velocity.I'm getting 950+ fps with forteen pumps,can't believe it.Going to go pump at a time next time.It has automatic cocking like the old Crosman pumps.It dumps all the air every shot also.I used an LDC i had and it works pretty good.Still has a pop at 950 fps but it's alot less than with out it.Just wondering if I should be as amazed as I am.

<p>So the 1/2x20 thread is plastic?  How is that holding up to your "accessory?"  Or did you screw it on once and leave it?  I'd be worried about durability and alignment of the threads.</p><p>I'm intrigued!...</p><p>Andy</p>

Andy Wong aka larspawn@ameritech.net

May 2nd, 2010, 3:39 am #7

Tony give us the real story. You have enough guns to go to airgun war, so I respect your opinion.From one to ten? One being a new model red rider, and ten being a 397 how is it? Is it worth $100? You mentioned 760, that cant be a good thing. Might need the stock foam filled.
want to primarily use it for. The pumping effort for 12pumps would make it not the ideal gun for a day of long range plinking!!! For a gun that is going to be shot a lot at low to mid power, its quite nice to me for the money, knowing in advance that you are not expecting highly polished/blued/blackened metal everywhere or a 2 stage match trigger.

Based on your scale, for my intent with it, i.e. lots of lower to mid power shooting, occassional high power, I'd give it a 8 at least.

The Benjamin/Sheridan's are built more durable and even the current ones(especially a Steroided & Billet Levered One) could last a lifetime of heavy use given parts availability and build quality.

I may foam the stock but will just shoot it for a while and let guys at my airgun club shoot it and put some miles on it to see what they think for the price point...

Regards,

Tony

May 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am #8

?
the report is much less than say a stock 2240 pistol...

Regards,

Tony