Will a power adjuster lower noise significantly?

Will a power adjuster lower noise significantly?

January 27th, 2009, 11:49 pm #1

I have been just about ready to buy a Discovery, but heard the pcp's make quite a bit of noise. If I would put a power adjuster on, would the noise level drop to the noise level of my Gamo 440?

For shooting starlings in my barn I figure 600fps in a .22 would be plenty, can you adjust that low?

Also where is a good place to get a power adjuster. I saw one on a web site for $35.00, but I am new to the airgun thing so don't have a good working knowledge of who might be good to get an adjuster from.

I have thought of waiting for the Marauder, but that looks a bit more $$.

A discovery+ a $35.00 mod sounds attractive, but then I have no shrouded barrel, and with silencer laws am not comfortable with a non-factory moderator. not to mention adding a shrouded barrel to a discovery probably?? would get me up into the Marauder price rage.

Thanks

January 28th, 2009, 1:54 am #2

mac1, it will come with an adjuster installed. you could talk to tim and tell him what you want and see what he can do. i shoot both of mine inside, down the hall to a target in the back room and don't find the noise level objectionable. they do crack a little in the middle of the shot string, but it isn't that bad. john

January 28th, 2009, 2:12 am #3

I have been just about ready to buy a Discovery, but heard the pcp's make quite a bit of noise. If I would put a power adjuster on, would the noise level drop to the noise level of my Gamo 440?

For shooting starlings in my barn I figure 600fps in a .22 would be plenty, can you adjust that low?

Also where is a good place to get a power adjuster. I saw one on a web site for $35.00, but I am new to the airgun thing so don't have a good working knowledge of who might be good to get an adjuster from.

A discovery+ a $35.00 mod sounds attractive, but then I have no shrouded barrel, and with silencer laws am not comfortable with a non-factory moderator. not to mention adding a shrouded barrel to a discovery probably?? would get me up into the Marauder price rage.

Thanks
Maybe you could try using C02. I think that quiets them down a little, but I haven't tried it yet.

January 28th, 2009, 5:27 am #4

around 650fps

January 28th, 2009, 6:17 pm #5

Thanks
I bought my disco with the intent of running it solely on CO2. The most efficient setting would be the point where muzzle energy is the same with a light vs heavy pellet. Then shoot the heavy for noise reduction. Especially nice in a cement basement where the noise is amplified.

January 28th, 2009, 6:21 pm #6

that sounds encouraging. Maybe I'll try that. If I can get a discovery to do what I need it will be a lot cheaper than a marauder

January 29th, 2009, 12:35 am #7

Hi David,
Being you are new PCP/Co2 rifles you need to know there is allot more to powering a Discovery on Co2 than just filling it and start shooting. You can of course do just that
but consider this. The Discovery is set up to use a 2000 psi power source, compressed air.
Co2 on the other hand is somewhere around 900 psi! The stock striker spring is designed to function between 2000 psi and 1200 psi. So what do you think is going to happen when it works against 900 to 700 psi! I'll tell ya, it's going to waste a bunch of gas per shot and that wasted gas is going to be NOISE! If you want to use Co2 with any efficiency you need to take it back to the 2260 from where it came. Real simple to do just replace the striker spring with the 2240/50/60 spring. Even after the spring change I don't think you could call it 'quite'. Now with your 'power adjuster' you MAY be able to get 600 fps!
The noise level will go up appropriately. No free lunch my friend, just the way it is!

D R

January 29th, 2009, 1:51 am #8

The disco valve spring feels heavier to me than the 2260. Also there's the drag on the stem from the O ring on the Disco that the 2260 doesn't have. I think I'd shoot it as it comes and check it out. As you say, a worst case situation just change 1 or 2 springs. Or if the gun is bought from someone like Tim @ Mac1, he could probably ball park it before it leaves his shop.
Anthony

January 29th, 2009, 3:16 am #9

...is very close to the very early Crosman co2 bulk fill rifles in performance. No doubt about it, they drink co2. Considering the speed (620-650 fps in .22) iDiscovery would rate as one of the fastest co2 rifles you can buy (AirForce 24" barreled figures would be faster, but that's about it in factory stock form).

But it is going to be loud.

January 29th, 2009, 3:16 am #10

The disco valve spring feels heavier to me than the 2260. Also there's the drag on the stem from the O ring on the Disco that the 2260 doesn't have. I think I'd shoot it as it comes and check it out. As you say, a worst case situation just change 1 or 2 springs. Or if the gun is bought from someone like Tim @ Mac1, he could probably ball park it before it leaves his shop.
Anthony
I keep hearing about Mac1, but don't see anything on a Mac1 website about the discovery. Am I on the right site, or does he just work on discoverys on the side?
Any contact or website info to make sure I'm looking at the right Mac1 website?
Thanks

I am wondering how much $ are you guys getting into a mac1 discovery and what is done to it?