Why not aluminum for valves?

Why not aluminum for valves?

September 24th, 2008, 2:14 pm #1

Guys,
I was curious why no one used aluminum for valves in the 22xx guns. Brass is almost three times as expensive as 7075-T6.

Any particular reason?

MM

September 25th, 2008, 2:22 am #2

Aluminum 2250 valves etc.. but I have built four of the five actions I have made from scratch with aluminum valve bodies. So far my pistol has had several thousand shots thru it and not any noticeable wear on the face seal when I last tore it down to fix an o-ring leak. Shoots nice and hard too.... My valves are delrin top hat designs on steel small diameter shafts that seal with a parachute style seal on the aluminum face. I just lap them in on the lathe and they have worked well first time more often than not.... Does that help any? peace....

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net
Safe Journey Space Fans, Wherever you are....

September 25th, 2008, 1:22 pm #3

Good to hear you've not had any problems with your valves. I want to make my son a valve for his 2250 that will give more shots per powerlet...Noah is going through them like candy. I don't have a bulk tank. I do have a couple rods of aluminum, both 60xx and 70xx, and was curious why it wouldn't work. There is really very little metal to metal contact on these valves so galling shouldn't be a problem. I assume brass is choosen for it's lubricity..but dunno for sure.

Regards,
MM

September 26th, 2008, 12:29 pm #4

Yeah I do not think you should have any problems with an aluminum valve body as long as it is machined properly and I would recommend making it outta 7075 instead of the 6061 if you have both, it machines better and is a little harder I find. If you are worried about long term use you could always machine a hardened steel seat into it and be done with it....peace and good luck...

Pete

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

September 26th, 2008, 2:21 pm #5

Hey Pete, Good to hear from an experienced machinist such as yourself. I'm going to try a couple ideas this weekend. Along with more shots, I'd like to make the valve stem with a replaceable o-ring seal instead of the all-in-one that the stock valve has.

Later,
MM

September 26th, 2008, 2:31 pm #6

you should try to machine a delrin valve head on a steel valve for it. Once you can do that a whole new world opens up to tuning and modifying airguns as well as building them from scratch. Good luck and do not forget to take and POST pictures...peace....

I got some more work to do this weekend on my adjustable FT stock for my Homebuilt Ft rifle and when it is finished I will try to post some pics. Sure is nice to have this round column mill for the inletting and and woodcutting and other stuff and be able to keep my heavier mill only for metalworking and rotary use until I get this cnc package together anyways....peace.....

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

October 1st, 2008, 1:10 pm #7

I've seen your work in person...very well done.

I think you'll love your CNC mill. I love mine.

Regards,
MM

October 2nd, 2008, 11:39 pm #8

Then where the hell are all the pictures and parts made on it? Ya holding out on us man!!!! Damn I cannot wait to get mine up and running. If I ever get these damn rifles finished and I can just shoot them and enjoy them I will probably get going on that conversion again. It is just a pia to get all the ballscrews installed and machine properly. PICS PLEASE>>>>peace man...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net

October 3rd, 2008, 1:21 pm #9

I do apologize for not posting many pictures. I'm in the process of completing several different projects. My time has been severely limited with work, and until recently, the Nationals...I've also been out of town quite a bit so time making chips has been limited, to say the least.

If you recall, the acrylic plaques for National champion were cut by me on the mill. The bases were inletted on the mill as well.

I'm on a terror to get my piston debouncer finished (with good progress made this week) as well as a laser resettable field target. Then I got onto making barrel tuners for my rimfires...the list goes on.

Come to think of it, I've been doing a lot more turning than milling....

I'll be gone for a wedding all weekend but I'll try to get some picts next week.

Take care,
MM

October 3rd, 2008, 4:48 pm #10

by the way, what the hell is &#10, &#13, and all that supposed to mean? looks like jibberish to me. Send some pics of that baby, did you build it or buy it? peace man...

Pete Matos
865-363-9218
Matospeter@charter.net