why does a scope's max magnification matter?

why does a scope's max magnification matter?

-bp

February 4th, 2011, 6:03 am #1

so long as it can be 'turned down' to 12x (or whatever's required)?

a 50x scope at 12x is no better than a 12x scope. in fact, it could be worse.

what's the reasoning?

it's not cost; there are cheap 50x scopes. they're not very good. probably a hindrance and not a help.

any rule should have a sound reason behind it.

-bp

February 4th, 2011, 6:18 am #2

arguments that a good scope, like a Nikko Stirling Diamond 10 - 50 x 60 or Big BSA 10 - 50 x 60 will range better at 12x than say a 4 - 12 x 40AO set at 12x...

I'm no optics engineer, don't know the science behind it...

Regards,

Tony

February 4th, 2011, 8:02 am #3

what's the reasoning?

it's not cost; there are cheap 50x scopes. they're not very good. probably a hindrance and not a help.

-bp
I'm not sure how or why the big discussion on 12x scopes got started. The rules are pretty clear, scopes can be set to no more than 12 power for HFT. Personally all my hunting scopes are 6-20 or 6-24 power and work just fine at 12 power.

If someone has a 50x Nikko and has it mounted on there sporter rile so be it, and if they want to shoot HFT using a bucket, bipod and a sling as their only aides they will fit right in the class.

Jim in Sacramento

February 4th, 2011, 10:23 am #4

what's the reasoning?

-bp
Using Tony's previous example of a higher mag scope on the marauder pistol that can be used for PFT and as a hunting rig etc. My HFT rig is multi purpose. I use it for both HFT and silhouette. I had planned on switching out my inexpensive Leapers 8-32 for one of Hawkes tactical scopes this year. I really want to be able to dial up the scope for when I want to and not be locked in to some max allowed magnification. I have no problem with the way the new rule is written now. Dial it to 12x, or the next lowest mag mark and shoot it. I want to try to grow the sport and not have to tell someone the shows up with a Centerpoint that they bought at the local supercenter that they can't shoot. Hopefully the max magnification issue is a non issue.

Just my thoughts

Greg

February 4th, 2011, 11:56 am #5

what's the reasoning?

-bp
and their scores are getting to close to the top PCP shooters and springer shooters that wear the harness and shooting jackets and have the big knee rests and stablizers. In the name of making it fair for everyone they must punish the HFT class for no valid reasons. Why is it that in most FT events the HFT class is typically the second biggest class. I say if you really want to address a real disparity don't force the springer shooters to compete against PCP's in hunter class. The rules are fine just the way they are. There is many of us older artheric people that would love to shoot in the open class but just cannot work their body's into those positions. Another idea. Allow hunter shooters that want to shoot in a higher class to jump into the Open classes with their equipment. Of course allow us to using the higher scope settings like the class does but leave all other HFT rules in place. That would allow other HFT shooters to get their awards but unfortunately someone in the open class may get theirs taken away by a class jumper so that will never happen. Can you tell I'm a little upset over this BS! IMHO
Last edited by dayjd on February 4th, 2011, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2011, 12:56 pm #6

arguments that a good scope, like a Nikko Stirling Diamond 10 - 50 x 60 or Big BSA 10 - 50 x 60 will range better at 12x than say a 4 - 12 x 40AO set at 12x...

Regards,

Tony
That was my experience when I shot hunter for a few months about 2.5 years ago. My 8-40 Hakko sidewheel ranged much better at 12X than my bushnell trophy 4-12.

I've counted to infinity......twice

February 4th, 2011, 1:18 pm #7

what's the reasoning?

-bp
Like 30mm tube, larger objective, finer glass and large side-wheel focusing, all of which make for better range-finding. A rule requiring all focusing be done before looking the scope would completely negate the advantages of high-dollar monster telescopes, and therefore level the playing field in Hunter Class. I would strongly support such a rule.

February 4th, 2011, 1:43 pm #8

That was my experience when I shot hunter for a few months about 2.5 years ago. My 8-40 Hakko sidewheel ranged much better at 12X than my bushnell trophy 4-12.

I've counted to infinity......twice
Greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

February 4th, 2011, 1:50 pm #9

Using Tony's previous example of a higher mag scope on the marauder pistol that can be used for PFT and as a hunting rig etc. My HFT rig is multi purpose. I use it for both HFT and silhouette. I had planned on switching out my inexpensive Leapers 8-32 for one of Hawkes tactical scopes this year. I really want to be able to dial up the scope for when I want to and not be locked in to some max allowed magnification. I have no problem with the way the new rule is written now. Dial it to 12x, or the next lowest mag mark and shoot it. I want to try to grow the sport and not have to tell someone the shows up with a Centerpoint that they bought at the local supercenter that they can't shoot. Hopefully the max magnification issue is a non issue.

Just my thoughts

Greg
In the thread below as it is a very valid concern of mine on several levels/areas that extend beyond the Optics.

Regards,

Tony

Edited due to tiny I-Phone Screen typing error!
Last edited by Trojan1994 on February 4th, 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2011, 1:51 pm #10

Regards,

Tony
the larger the objective is the shallower the depth of field is at any magnification. in cameras it is expressed as the F stop. An F 2.8 lense will have a shallower depth of field than an F 4 lense. The F 2.8 lense will have a larger objective for a given magnification. the shallower the depth of field, the better the range finding. a 60mm objective at 12 power is going to rangefind better than a 40mm objective at 12 power.