Who has an easy detailed way to make a sidewheel tape 3/8" with really nice numbers?....

Who has an easy detailed way to make a sidewheel tape 3/8" with really nice numbers?....

August 14th, 2011, 10:03 am #1

Tape is from 10-35 yards in 5 yard increments but, I want to be able to mark 10-20 in one yard increments marking off every 5 yards with numbers. Then I'd like to fill in every yard between each number with 1 yard marks tick marks. After 20 yards I want mark off every 2 yard after every major number.

Anyone come up with a really slick looking way of making a nice tape?

It is what it is, because it is!!!

August 14th, 2011, 1:37 pm #2

Here is how I do mine Greg:

1.First I tape a piece of paper to my sidewheel, or AO

2.Then I sit down and go through all the yardages I need, marking the paper with just a tick mark. I have a printed yardage chart with me as well so I know which tick mark equals which focused yardage.

3.When I am done with all the yardages I want, I should have a narrow paper tape with a series of tick marks between 10 yards and 56 yards no numbers yet, just tick marks.

4.I then scan that paper tape into my pc, saving it in a picture format.

5.Next I open that tape picture in MS Visio, but it could be some other type of drawing software too I guess.

6.Using Visio, I create an identical tape right next to the scanned tape.

7.Looking at my chart, and beginning with the 10 yard tick mark, I draw a corresponding line on the pc-generated tape and type in "10" in whatever font, font size, and color I want.

8.I repeat this same process for the rest of the tick marks. Sometime I "zoom" in to make sure I have both lines (new and original) perfectly adjacent to one another.

9.In the end, I move numbers around to make sure everything has room. I make some numbers bigger than others. I type in information I have about the rig set-up, like date, scope height, pellet, fps, and so on, and I add color to the tape and numbers.

10.When I print it and cut it out, its very easy to see if everything is correct simply by positioning it next to the original hand written tape and doing a visual check. I have never had one come out that was proportionally different as a result of the scanning and printing process. The last thing I do is tape it on the sidewheel and then cover it with another run of clear shipping-type tape to protect it.

The image below is all the evidence I could find having gone through 2 or 3 pcs since I did this last. This tape was not final version either, as I still have the finished tape on the kit and it still looks really good after 5 or 6 years.

I am sure there are other ways to do this process, but the above does produce a professional looking tape. Hope this helps Greg.

Rick McAllister

August 14th, 2011, 4:18 pm #3

Download:
http://sites.google.com/site/centraltex ... -sidewheel

Note: Visio files are intended for Leupold wheel, but you may edit to fit your needs.
HookEm

August 15th, 2011, 12:05 am #4

Tape is from 10-35 yards in 5 yard increments but, I want to be able to mark 10-20 in one yard increments marking off every 5 yards with numbers. Then I'd like to fill in every yard between each number with 1 yard marks tick marks. After 20 yards I want mark off every 2 yard after every major number.

August 15th, 2011, 4:20 am #5

I used a word program to print generic columns of hash marks (underlined spaces..font size 4 or 5 works pretty well) and then went back and typed in the yardages and holdover/clicks at the corrseponding marks and printed up the final tape.

Lonnie Smith
Associate Match Director DFTC
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org/home.html

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"
Last edited by AirSmithCA on August 15th, 2011, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 15th, 2011, 7:35 am #6