Whirlpool Gas Dryer doesn't heat. Anybody know gas dryers?

Whirlpool Gas Dryer doesn't heat. Anybody know gas dryers?

May 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm #1

Here's what happens. I set the dryer time or to auto & then hit the start button. The dryer starts turning for approx 20 sec & I hear a click that sounds like a solenoid. Maybe 10% of the time, I hear the desired faint "whumpf" of the gas igniting after the click. The rest of the time it's silent and just runs cold til the time's up.

There is a good supply of gas to the dryer. I already checked that.

I'm thinking it's the valve that allows the gas flow, or the igniter or something related but I haven't done any serious trouble-shooting yet and don't know all the dryer terminology.

This video series looks very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRNoyxn ... re=related

Since I have to order the parts online anyhow, I'd like to have the most likely parts on-hand before really tearing into the dryer. (assuming they don't cost more than a new dryer) I figure this will minimize downtime & I can sell the un-used parts on ebay easily enough.

Any suggestions as to what parts are most likely, and the best place to order such parts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

May 6th, 2012, 3:23 pm #2

And I much preferred it to a electric one.

Hve no idea how to fix yours, but I heard the story of a guy skydiving and he could not get his rip cord to work, as he fell thru the clouds he met this guy coming up thru the clouds burnt to a crisp.

He asked the guy, "do you know anything about rip cords and parachutes?"

The burnt guy replied, "no but do you know anything about gas dryers?"

Good luck, they are worth fixing.

May 6th, 2012, 3:35 pm #3

Here's what happens. I set the dryer time or to auto & then hit the start button. The dryer starts turning for approx 20 sec & I hear a click that sounds like a solenoid. Maybe 10% of the time, I hear the desired faint "whumpf" of the gas igniting after the click. The rest of the time it's silent and just runs cold til the time's up.

I'm thinking it's the valve that allows the gas flow, or the igniter or something related but I haven't done any serious trouble-shooting yet and don't know all the dryer terminology.

This video series looks very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRNoyxn ... re=related

Since I have to order the parts online anyhow, I'd like to have the most likely parts on-hand before really tearing into the dryer. (assuming they don't cost more than a new dryer) I figure this will minimize downtime & I can sell the un-used parts on ebay easily enough.

Any suggestions as to what parts are most likely, and the best place to order such parts?

Easy to fix and generally the first part to fail. The resistance in the glow bar tends to increase over time and it won't get hot enough to ignite, or it will initially ignite but won't allow for a relight. Just a thought.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

May 6th, 2012, 5:53 pm #4

If it lights once then fails to relight, its likely the coil packs. They're about the cheapest parts to replace. Take the opportunity to clean out the lint under there while you're in it.

Here's the post on my dryer problem :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... erts+here-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... xed...+LOL

Haywire
Last edited by haywire1 on May 7th, 2012, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 12:23 am #5

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 7th, 2012, 1:19 am #6

If it lights once then fails to relight, its likely the coil packs. They're about the cheapest parts to replace. Take the opportunity to clean out the lint under there while you're in it.

Here's the post on my dryer problem :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... erts+here-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/417256/m ... xed...+LOL

Haywire
+1 ... Simple repair & fairly inexpensive - nt

May 7th, 2012, 2:05 am #7

Speed Queen dryers. Most common parts to fail in your cicumstance would be the coils.
You can tell if they work by putting your
screwdriver on top of each one. when they energize your srewdriver will stick to the tops. Just a tech tip. Be careful. Also it helps to know when each one energizes. They
click.

May 7th, 2012, 3:11 am #8

When I pried open the peek hole in the lower left front and tried starting the dryer, there was only a brief glow that went out. Tried starting again and no glow.

I ordered the coil kit, igniter, thermodisc flame sensor, belt & idler pulley for about $65 shipped.

May 7th, 2012, 3:48 am #9

from the drier. Start the drier and see if the burner runs normally. If it does then your vent hose is restricted. There are usually at least 2 limits and a fusible link. Since the burner comes on at all the fusible link can be ignored. Do you have a volt meter?

May 7th, 2012, 3:50 am #10

Easy to fix and generally the first part to fail. The resistance in the glow bar tends to increase over time and it won't get hot enough to ignite, or it will initially ignite but won't allow for a relight. Just a thought.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."
<p>The igniter will also crack, then they will glow for a bit, separate from the heat expanding it and stop glowing before the gas starts, so it will shut off again and may keep cycling like that, occasionally lighting but missing some of the ignition cycles so the clothes do not dry fully.  In the case of mine, the resistance checked out good (while cold), but a close visual inspection revealed the crack in the element.  Had me fooled for a bit till I saw the hairline crack and figured out what was going on.</p><p>That was the issue with mine some years ago.  Since then, the washer quit, so I got all new ones. (they were 20+ years old)</p><p>Figured it was time and a good sale was on for front loaders that my wife wanted anyhow.</p><p>Definately worth fixing in your case.  I did the same and it fixed the issue for me.  Previously the motor had quit a few years prior to that even, and since the pulley, belt etc. were so cheap, went with those parts also as you did.</p><p> </p>
Last edited by Revwarnut on May 7th, 2012, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.