Which rifle for hunting?

Which rifle for hunting?

November 5th, 2008, 12:12 am #1

I am looking for a rifle with a synthetic stock. I think I would prefer a .22 but what I need is to be able to take a nutria at 50 yards. I would assume that would take a .22 but that is why I am posting here. It sure seems like .22s from Gamo are scarce. Has it always been that way?

November 5th, 2008, 3:31 am #2

It seems like most of the places that carry Gamo rifles aren't airgun shops rather they are sporting goods stores that sell some air guns. If you can find a .22 shadow I think it would be the gun you are looking for, get it tuned to squeeze out a little more power and you have a chance at landing game at 50 yards. I'm not sure if .177 wouldn't be better for long range shots since it has a flatter trajectory and may have a slightly longer range, one of the ballistics experts would have to confirm. Honestly though I'm not sure a spring powered pellet rifle is the ideal weapon for an animal the size of a nutria at that range.

November 5th, 2008, 4:21 am #3

I am looking for a rifle with a synthetic stock. I think I would prefer a .22 but what I need is to be able to take a nutria at 50 yards. I would assume that would take a .22 but that is why I am posting here. It sure seems like .22s from Gamo are scarce. Has it always been that way?
Maybe the English made Gamo's like a 1250. I would think more along the lines of a Diana 54 in .22 which may be about tops for a springer. The Diana 350 is readily available used in excellent condition. A rather long gun that is not easy to shoot well out of the box. It is said they take a good bit of practice to sort them out but, once done, they are quite accurate and hard hitting. Which is why you see them listed for less than $300 (sometimes $250) with only a handful of pellets through them.

Yes, you will have more luck finding a .22 in something other than a Gamo.

November 5th, 2008, 5:13 am #4

I was hoping that I could get a springer that hits hard enough to hunt out to 50 yards. my first thought was to go with an s410 or a FX T12 but I was hoping to get by without the investment.

I would like to know what people think about hunting with the .177 vs the .22 though. At the 40 to 50 yard range can a .177 take a nutria with good shot placment?
Last edited by mdimdi on November 5th, 2008, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 5th, 2008, 9:50 am #5

At that distance I wouldn't try anything bigger than squirrel or birds with .177 springer. A .22 will retain more down range energy. Like RedFeather mentioned, a 350 in .22 is a good choice to humanely dispatch something the size of nutria with a head shot. If you are hung up on the synthetic stock and price you can look at the Walther Falcon Hunter. You can get it in .25 which would be even better for retained energy. You would have to fill the stock and do some trigger work to make it better. However being made by Hatsan, parts will probably be available only from Umarex.

Happy Canuck

November 6th, 2008, 12:20 am #6

...of 50yd springer capabilities.

An adequate combination of point-of-impact power and field accuracy just isn't there.

Steve

November 6th, 2008, 1:20 am #7

With something like Eun Jun pellets? Could be good out to fifty and have a bit of punch. Still, placement is key here and I don't know if the Sheridan barrels will stabilize a pill that big. Plus, by the time you've pumped that sucker up, the nutria will be off at a hundred yards.

November 6th, 2008, 2:30 am #8

perhaps a model i mentioned, the s410 or the t-12? they should be up to the job right? And for the record 50 yards would be the max, i dont really think i would do much of that.

November 6th, 2008, 3:48 am #9

Can handle it easy at 40 to 50 yrds with a good kill zone shot.

November 8th, 2008, 12:07 am #10

My 1250 shoots .22 JSB Exacts with a V0 of 870 ft/s. Knowing the BC of the pellets, a little math gives me a V50 of 720 ft/s. Combined with the weight of the pellet, 16 gr. this gives an E50 of 18 fpe. Don't know if this is enough to drop it, perhaps with a headshot. But based on my experience printing groups on paper I would never take the shot with any of my springers. Perhaps a heart/lung shot with a .25 PCP. Or a head shot with a .22 PCP, but first after having seen the effect on an allready dead speciment since I've got no idea of how tough these critters are.