Which are the quietest PCP rifles out of the box?

Which are the quietest PCP rifles out of the box?

April 25th, 2012, 7:22 pm #1

I have to perform some discreet pest control, and my RWS 48 .177 is just way too loud.

While searching the 'net looking for something quiet, it seems the consensus is that PCPs are the quietest platform. What I have not found is the actual dB readings for these rifles, only very ambiguous ratings.

For those of you who own/owned PCPs, which .22 or .25 rifles would be the quietest? I understand that the pellet impact will still be loud.

Thanks,
George
Last edited by mbogo470 on April 25th, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2012, 2:01 am #2

Only data I've found has been from Straight Shooters, and its all about springers:
http://www.straightshooters.com/decibel ... rguns.html

Looks like your RWS is ranked in the low 80's dB range.

Really is hard to judge sound. Not just the loudness, but the sharpness/unusualness of the sound in a suburban environment. Guess one every day example is if you are talking to someone (conversation...about 60-65db) and one of you farts. Not as loud (usually), but EVERYONE notices. Meaning, if your neighbors are listening for it or it contrasts with background noise, they will notice it even if it seems quiet.

Have done a little home research. Typical suburban day-time background noise is about 40dB.

With PCPs, slower settings that use less air per shot are quieter.
Good shroud systems can keep things in the middle 60 dB with 15-20foot pounds at 20 feet.
Very very good systems can get it down ito the high 50's low 60's.
A 20 dB increase is usually seen as about 4x LOUDER.
A 5 dB increase is usally seen as noticable.

While I do not have one to test, does seem like for the $, an M-Rod tuned to about the same energy as your RWS (lets call it 20 foot pounds) would be noticably quieter.

(OF course, if you go PCP, will have to figure a way to fill it...and that adds to the cost...but can consider that fill system to be useable on another PCP...which tends to get us to buy a second.)
Last edited by gubb33ps on April 26th, 2012, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2012, 3:05 am #3

Howdy, I can't say for sure but the Marauder is very quiet, In addition the remington nitro piston short stroke (NPSS)is also very quiet although it is a springer Very accurate and quiet. I'm hoping I don't get into troublr for bring a springer to a PCP fight (lol) Good luck. don

April 26th, 2012, 3:07 am #4

I have to perform some discreet pest control, and my RWS 48 .177 is just way too loud.

While searching the 'net looking for something quiet, it seems the consensus is that PCPs are the quietest platform. What I have not found is the actual dB readings for these rifles, only very ambiguous ratings.

For those of you who own/owned PCPs, which .22 or .25 rifles would be the quietest? I understand that the pellet impact will still be loud.

Thanks,
George
It is so quiet that you will think it is malfunctioning.....It's not!

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop

April 26th, 2012, 5:01 am #5

Several of the guys around here use them for HFT. They are very very quiet.

My daughter's disco with the TKO is almost that quiet. And there are several aftermarket shrouds/LDCs that offer that kind of performance. But it's hard to beat the Marauder.

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264

April 26th, 2012, 7:04 am #6

Thanks,
George
All my .177, .22, and .25 springers are loud compared to a Marauder.
I have the Marauder in .22 and .25 calibers.
The 22 Mrod is really, really quiet...and as someone just said, you may think that your mrod malfunctioned...but it did not!!!
I've done tests where my wife shoots the 22 mrod in the backyard, while I listen in the front yard...I heard nuthin!!!
The 25 is not anywhere near as quiet as the 22.
When I listen for the 25 mrod in the front yard, I can hear like an air stapler.
I dont know about other PCP rifles, cause I dont have any others.
My vote for you goes to the 22 Marauder...you'll be amazed.

The thing about measuring pellet gun sound, to measure the sound accurately, you need a very expensive SPL(sound pressure level)meter.
This type of SPL meter has an "Impulse"(35 milliseconds)response time setting.
The affordable SPL meters have a "Fast"(125 milliseconds) and "Slow"(1 sec)response time setting.
We need somebody who has a SPL meter with an Impulse setting and some PCPs to test.
I've got a nice SPL meter, but it doesnt have the impulse setting, just the typical fast/slow.
Last edited by DaveEnnis on April 26th, 2012, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2012, 2:08 pm #7

Thanks,
George
will be the M-rod. Great intro to pcp's, power and budget wise, but a little on the heavy side. My neighbor was amazed that he only heard the pellet impact while sitting on his pool deck ~20yds away. The .25 tend to be louder, but more consistent in accuracy than the .22 from the factory. If you're going to hand pump, I'd pony up the extra for a Hill MKIII pump w/dessicant filter. Pumping is so much easier above the 2500 psi mark, compared to the Benji pump, and more volume per stroke.

April 26th, 2012, 3:36 pm #8

of this crowd, with the .25 a close second.

I will start shopping for one.

Thanks,
George

April 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm #9

I am left-handed, and want to be able to manipulate the bolt with my left hand.

George

April 27th, 2012, 2:21 pm #10

not stock. I suppose if you wanted to machine the receiver / breech you could.