Where to retire?

Where to retire?

April 15th, 2012, 9:54 am #1

I'm hoping (Lord willing and the creek don't rise) to retire in ~5 years.

Much as I like it here, CA is now circling the financial toilet bowl with no hope of recovery. All retirees will soon be paying much more in taxes than they do now.

Looking for a place where weather extremes aren't too severe and taxes aren't too high. We'd like to live in a small town near a larger (but not too large) city. I don't think my Wife would do well in a totally rural setting but we'd at least like to have a couple of acres to plant gardens, have chickens, etc.

A friend of mine retired to Black Mountain, NC (near Asheville) a few years back. Tells me he never thought there was a place on Earth like it.

Any suggestions?

April 15th, 2012, 1:13 pm #2

Life , this one and one more . . . . .
Last edited by ralphy101again on April 15th, 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2012, 1:14 pm #3

Much as I like it here, CA is now circling the financial toilet bowl with no hope of recovery. All retirees will soon be paying much more in taxes than they do now.

Looking for a place where weather extremes aren't too severe and taxes aren't too high. We'd like to live in a small town near a larger (but not too large) city. I don't think my Wife would do well in a totally rural setting but we'd at least like to have a couple of acres to plant gardens, have chickens, etc.

A friend of mine retired to Black Mountain, NC (near Asheville) a few years back. Tells me he never thought there was a place on Earth like it.

Any suggestions?
the heat and humidity.

April 15th, 2012, 1:57 pm #4

Any suggestions?
I live near Maryville which is a small town a few miles south of Knoxville. It's close to the Smokies and very scenic. The weather is not so extreme here and the cost of living isn't bad either.
Air guns are legal for small game (about anything but deer) and you can shoot/hunt on Sunday. North Carolina didn't allow hunting on Sunday when I lived there, not sure if that's changed, kinda doubt it.
I live about ten minutes from downtown and can shoot in my back yard. Shooting & hunting is a normal part of life around here.

April 15th, 2012, 3:08 pm #5

<p>I'm from Lenoir City TN, now living outside Raleigh NC. Hunting and fishing i do miss, all the local lakes and rivers here are small and shallow, and NC has much more taxes than TN!</p><p>Doug S.</p>

April 15th, 2012, 3:17 pm #6

I live near Maryville which is a small town a few miles south of Knoxville. It's close to the Smokies and very scenic. The weather is not so extreme here and the cost of living isn't bad either.
Air guns are legal for small game (about anything but deer) and you can shoot/hunt on Sunday. North Carolina didn't allow hunting on Sunday when I lived there, not sure if that's changed, kinda doubt it.
I live about ten minutes from downtown and can shoot in my back yard. Shooting & hunting is a normal part of life around here.
<p>take the ferry boat to Seattle,rain,it does ,a lot,but never gets that cold for long,it is a nature lovers paradise.</p><p> Taxes,they don't have if I remember right state tax,still the southern states would be less to live in...Myself I live in the SF Bay Area ,expensive ,and I am poor,but the weather is some of the best in the world and just a few miles and I am in nature,looking at hawks,or the ocean or in the forest or up on top of a hill looking down...yes expensive..if you measure value with money.</p><p>   Some people I know of have moved to Missouri,they like it.</p>
Last edited by boscoebrea on April 15th, 2012, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2012, 3:48 pm #7

I just retired this year and decided to stay in mid Missouri. The hunting and fishing are good. Some of the best trout fishing anywhere with nearly 200 miles of streams, all but the parks open year around. The conservation department maintains a lot of areas for hunting and fishing along with river accesses. There are a lot of small lakes for quiet fishing for bass, bluegill, catfish, crappie, and some large redear. Taxes are not bad and people are friendly. Land prices are reasonable.

Garry

April 15th, 2012, 4:40 pm #8

Any suggestions?
Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

April 15th, 2012, 4:58 pm #9

the heat and humidity.

Rio Grande Valley near Mercedes,Texas. Fishing, hunting, grew up near there. Best White Tails in Rio Grande City,Texas. NO gun laws, That's where Ted Nugent lives.

April 15th, 2012, 5:34 pm #10

500 acres , half wooded half pasture bordering the Trinity river , nice country and good people to boot . he has endless ferral hog problems and game laws are hunter friendly even allowing night hunting of pest animals. Crocket is east central area.