where are all the Gamo shooters

where are all the Gamo shooters

January 8th, 2012, 12:39 am #1

Ok I can't seem to keep up with all the pcp talkers on the main page. And i can remember when have pcp was a crime. I love my Gamo Shadow fox. And have very good luck on my hunting spree's. In fact I just ordered a orion camera mount for my scope and can't wait for it to get here which should be monday. Then look out because the videos are gonna be on. So come on Gamo people, lets hear about how you get your Gamo On.

January 8th, 2012, 4:14 am #2

A CFX and a Hunter 890, both works in progress, and too many other things going on to make any progress on the work .

The CFX started out as a .177 and is now a .20, but still needs a new rotary breech and a complete re-blue. I'm also not particularly happy with the tune I did, but I need to make the new rotary before I can really get it dialed in.

The 890 is a .177 and got a barrel chop and tune, but the barrel sleeve I made to bring the 12" barrel back up to 15" still needs to be anodized, and I still haven't set up my anodizing system. This one shoots pretty nice, though, quick, solid shot cycle, and running right at 13 fpe. I may do a different sleeve in steel, with the 12" barrel and aluminum sleeve, it's a little too muzzle light for my taste. I also need do some stock work, it's kind of chunky, and could use some checkering in the usual places. Later.

Dave

January 8th, 2012, 4:32 am #3

Ok I can't seem to keep up with all the pcp talkers on the main page. And i can remember when have pcp was a crime. I love my Gamo Shadow fox. And have very good luck on my hunting spree's. In fact I just ordered a orion camera mount for my scope and can't wait for it to get here which should be monday. Then look out because the videos are gonna be on. So come on Gamo people, lets hear about how you get your Gamo On.
A Big Cat was my 1st adult springer. To say I was disappointed would be a major understatement. However, I recently bought a refurb CFX from airgunsdaily and have been pleasantly surprised. Accurate, powerful, and I love the rotary breech. Safe to load, I like the underlever, and everything works very well for a lefty. I wish they would put the .22 CFX on sale. I'd have one of those too.

January 9th, 2012, 2:09 am #4

A CFX and a Hunter 890, both works in progress, and too many other things going on to make any progress on the work .

The CFX started out as a .177 and is now a .20, but still needs a new rotary breech and a complete re-blue. I'm also not particularly happy with the tune I did, but I need to make the new rotary before I can really get it dialed in.

The 890 is a .177 and got a barrel chop and tune, but the barrel sleeve I made to bring the 12" barrel back up to 15" still needs to be anodized, and I still haven't set up my anodizing system. This one shoots pretty nice, though, quick, solid shot cycle, and running right at 13 fpe. I may do a different sleeve in steel, with the 12" barrel and aluminum sleeve, it's a little too muzzle light for my taste. I also need do some stock work, it's kind of chunky, and could use some checkering in the usual places. Later.

Dave
I have been useing the calulator page and I'm not sure i agree with it or maybe i am just reading it wrong. It says that my .177 shooting a 10.5 gr. at 990 fps equals 22.8 fpe,, is that really so. It just seems like alot,don't get me wrong I like the power.
Tim

January 9th, 2012, 2:39 pm #5

"I have been using the calculator page and I'm not sure i agree with it or maybe i am just reading it wrong. It says that my .177 shooting a 10.5 gr. at 990 fps equals 22.8 fpe,, is that really so. It just seems like a lot---."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I agree thoroughly! The swept volume of a Gamo powerplant will not support such velocities without diesel assist with a heavy pellet. I'd really like to see a 10 shot string. I would expect to see wide differences in velocity. A well broken-in Gamo in .177 should settle in at @ 14-15FPE. They can be tuned slightly higher at the expense of harshness in the cocking, shot cycle, accuracy and longevity. I'd be happy to run it across my chrony if you frequent Hardy in AR regularly.
And let you shoot my Big Cat or Hunter Sport so you could see just how sweetly a modern 'plastic' Gamo can be tuned. Tom

January 9th, 2012, 4:53 pm #6

He didn't say what he has, so it could be one of the Hunter Extreme or a 1250, which would be about right for the power range he's describing. Otherwise, I agree with you, 14-15 fpe is about tops for a .177 "1000 fps" Gamo. If he has the latter, I'd try getting another chrony to verify, cause that's WAY too fast for one of these, especially with a heavy pellet. Later.

Dave

January 9th, 2012, 6:05 pm #7

"---it could be one of the Hunter Extreme or a 1250, which would be about right for the power range he's describing.>

Yeah---I thought of that---after I posted naturally.

Bought a 'returned' Big Cat from a surplus store---cheap!---in early Summer just to see if they were as bad as I had read. Cocked abominably and shot with the grace of an early Chinese agricultural implement. After a 12 fpe soft tune, new delrin guides top & bottom and adding a 2nd trigger adjustment screw it is unbelievably civilized! Rivals a well-tuned R7 and cocks almost as easily. Just wish that it shot as straight! But it's showing evidence of 'coming in'. It's so sweet that I usually end all shooting sessions with it just for the pleasure of it. Maybe the Brits are onto something. Tom
Last edited by TheOldBuzzard on January 9th, 2012, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 10th, 2012, 1:17 am #8

He didn't say what he has, so it could be one of the Hunter Extreme or a 1250, which would be about right for the power range he's describing. Otherwise, I agree with you, 14-15 fpe is about tops for a .177 "1000 fps" Gamo. If he has the latter, I'd try getting another chrony to verify, cause that's WAY too fast for one of these, especially with a heavy pellet. Later.

Dave
and i have no problem with dime size groups at 30 yards. It is truely a squirrel killer. oh yea it is a 1250 gun. and out of all the searching i've done for a buddy that wants one we can't find another. Gamo says they don't have any in stock and don't know if they will stock them anymore.
Last edited by shadowfox1 on January 10th, 2012, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 1:46 am #9

My first Gamo was a Shadow 1000 that I got for whacking gophers when I lived in California. Accurate and powerful. I used it with a BSA red dot - a lethal combination. Now I live in Tennessee and used it for chipmunk control. I live in the country and my neighbor borrowed it to take out the rabbits raiding his garden. He liked it so much and he has helped me out a lot so I gave it to him.

Last year I bought a CFX refurb and all I can say is WOW! I put a 3x9 scope on it and it will shoot cloverleaf groups at 25 yards if I do my part.

My new favorite game is to toss a couple of white plastic pill bottles out about 15 yards and see how many shots it takes to "dance" it out to the fence line (about 30 yards). My neighbor will have to bring his Shadow over for a friendly contest this weekend.

November 26th, 2012, 10:57 pm #10

I have a Compact for paper punching and the daughter has a Delta rifle

Comp herehttp://pistolcomp.yolasite.com/ if anyone is interested.

dec to march 2012/13