Whats you opinion? Marauder vs. S400ERB/S410ERB

Whats you opinion? Marauder vs. S400ERB/S410ERB

February 19th, 2011, 5:54 pm #1

Hey everybody, I'm looking for a first FT gun (for Open PCP class) and was considering these two guns. I was originally going to go with the S400 but I had heard the the Marauder was essentially a S400 at half the price and I would appreciate your opinion.
I was wondering how you thought the guns compared in a few different areas.
Those areas are:
-Accuracy
-Trigger
-Shot count
-Bolt vs. side-lever
-Sound level
and anything else you may feel is important. I was also planning on getting a FT stock for both guns, so stock is a non-issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jackson
Last edited by JacksonL on February 19th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2011, 6:12 pm #2

Shooting Marauders for a year now and are prepairing them for the Worlds in Italy.

You will want a Chronograph so you can tune it to your specifications.

Many people complain about the stock but you have that covered. Bolt vs side lever makes no difference. Get the single shot tray. A must in my opinion.

Clean the barrel like crazy. That is the major problem with accuracy to start. Otherwise you will be shooting 1000 rounds + to shoot out what could have been cleaned out.

Trigger can go down to the low ounces with just a bit of adjusting and a simple cut or swap on a spring. Every bit as good as an Olympic trigger that were legendary on the NJR series.

I don't feel I give up anything shooting my marauder as compared to the high end guns. A great value in Airguns and you can adjust it to do whatever you want. I shoot WFTF with it and get well over 100+ shots on a charge.

HTH

<p>A Team PCP Tuning Document</p><p>Field Target Locations GeoCache (GPS file)</p>(please note the site does go down with high
traffic so check back if it isn't available)
<p>YouTube Videos</p>

February 19th, 2011, 6:57 pm #3

Thank you for your response Ray! I was wondering how many good shots per fill you get with your rifle?
Thanks!
Jackson

February 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm #4

Shooting Marauders for a year now and are prepairing them for the Worlds in Italy.

Many people complain about the stock but you have that covered. Bolt vs side lever makes no difference. Get the single shot tray. A must in my opinion.

Clean the barrel like crazy. That is the major problem with accuracy to start. Otherwise you will be shooting 1000 rounds + to shoot out what could have been cleaned out.

Trigger can go down to the low ounces with just a bit of adjusting and a simple cut or swap on a spring. Every bit as good as an Olympic trigger that were legendary on the NJR series.

I don't feel I give up anything shooting my marauder as compared to the high end guns. A great value in Airguns and you can adjust it to do whatever you want. I shoot WFTF with it and get well over 100+ shots on a charge.

HTH

<p>A Team PCP Tuning Document</p><p>Field Target Locations GeoCache (GPS file)</p>(please note the site does go down with high
<p>YouTube Videos</p>
just thought if you did you may want to mention that to the gentleman. Also maybe LW barrels too ? Just so he'll know how to customize his gun to get the same results.

"Thumper2"

February 19th, 2011, 10:01 pm #5

HTH

<p>YouTube Videos</p>
Regards,

Tony

February 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm #6

just thought if you did you may want to mention that to the gentleman. Also maybe LW barrels too ? Just so he'll know how to customize his gun to get the same results.

"Thumper2"
our guns have our regs in them they aren't needed for the Accuracy. The reg gave me 142 shots with a 14fps spread from a 3000 psi fill.

Without the reg I could go 100 shots or 80 shots depending on how I filled it as the graph demonstrates below.

The above graph was 1 of many from when I was working on the valving before the gun was released.

I now am using a shorter barrel (LW) which lost me shot count but allowed a shorter shroud and maintained the same sound quality.

Both of the above are not necessary. The reg allows me to not worry about filling to a specific pressure and the LW barrel makes it less pellet fussy. But it isn't more accurate because of it.

CLean the factory barrel (and I mean CLEAN). Polish the lead in. and crown the barrel only if needed and you are off and running.

<p>YouTube Videos</p>

February 19th, 2011, 10:11 pm #7

you are using? Does the LW allow for a wider variety of pellets, i.e. Exacts, CPL's, FTS where as the factory only like one pellet?

Or are you talking in terms of being able to shoot a given pellet, the one it likes best, without sorting?

Or in terms of not leading up as fast?

Please advise.

Regards,

Tony

February 19th, 2011, 10:21 pm #8

Hey everybody, I'm looking for a first FT gun (for Open PCP class) and was considering these two guns. I was originally going to go with the S400 but I had heard the the Marauder was essentially a S400 at half the price and I would appreciate your opinion.
I was wondering how you thought the guns compared in a few different areas.
Those areas are:
-Accuracy
-Trigger
-Shot count
-Bolt vs. side-lever
-Sound level
and anything else you may feel is important. I was also planning on getting a FT stock for both guns, so stock is a non-issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jackson
Jackson,

I have a Marauder that is set up to shoot Crosman 10.5 grain premier pellets 870 fps. It gets about 25-30 good shots that are within a 20 fps spread on a 2600 PSI fill (unregulated). The rifle is accurate enough to do well in a Field Target match. As Ray has advised you, the rifle can be configured to shoot about any power level that you will need for FT. Also, the factory trigger is very easy to set down to a few ounces with a slight modification of the trigger unit. As a starter FT gun, I'd say it is an excellent choice. In my opinion, you will definitely need to change the factory stock out for one that will fit properly. Otherwise, everything is there to set up a good FT rig. So, get one, set it up and get ready to shoot this season.

Best of luck with your choice!

Take care,

Harold
Harold Rushton

February 20th, 2011, 2:03 am #9

Thank you for your input Harold! I think I'm going to go with the Marauder and custom stock! I've been really interested by the threads about making a match trigger for the Marauder so I think I may just have to make my own version of it!
Thanks again,
Jackson

lhd

February 20th, 2011, 5:47 am #10

There is really nothing wrong with the trigger assy, but the blade itself could use some work for some.