What's up with the "saddle"...

May 30th, 2017, 9:11 am #1

...that manufacturers toss onto the stocks of so many air rifles these days? Fear of offending the lefty minority?

May 30th, 2017, 11:02 am #2

Trying to suit every one with one stock I guess. If the gun is a keeper, I just remove the side I dont need and refinish. (If it is wood or a material I can work with).

May 30th, 2017, 11:58 am #3

...that manufacturers toss onto the stocks of so many air rifles these days? Fear of offending the lefty minority?
It's a matter of selling something that us lefties can actually use. For me, stock fit and shape is a a major factor in guns that I buy. There are MANY righty only stocks that are virtually impossible for me to use, that I WILL NOT buy. The manufacturers are smart if they sell with really ambidextrous stocks.

May 30th, 2017, 12:12 pm #4

I've had to pass over due to it being a righty. I can deal with a right sided comb but a left sided comb is what I prefer for a consistent repetitive hold.

May 30th, 2017, 12:56 pm #5

Not only are there left handed shooters, there are left eye shooters for gun makers to accommodate. I always shot right handed, even though I was left-eye dominant. Recently, I had to start "switch-hitting" when the vision in my right eye got much worse. All my stocks are ambi now.

May 30th, 2017, 9:32 pm #6

It's a whole lot easier to design one stock that will "sort of" suit both rights and lefts that it is to open production of two stocks, one uniquely right and one uniquely left.

Not really sure how much a lefty-friendly stock is going to help with a rifle that has a right-handed operating system is going to do.

So unless the action (side lever or bolt) can be converted to "lefty", the ambi-stock is just a Band-Aid on a giant open wound.

Most of the "lefties" tried on a Sumatra rather like it. Stock is pretty much the same left or right (without the "saddle"), the lever works straight up and down, and the mag. doesn't really care.

May 31st, 2017, 12:41 am #7

...the majority of firearm stocks have been ambi for like forever, no saddle required. Not everyone likes a Monte Carlo stock, and I most certainly don't care for a DOUBLE one.

My Mom was left-handed but they made her learn to write right-handed. I vote we go back to the good ol' days, lol.

May 31st, 2017, 10:28 am #8

trust me on this one!

May 31st, 2017, 11:12 am #9

SMACK! Write with your right! N/T

May 31st, 2017, 2:34 pm #10

Designed from the start with lefty in mine.