what did you go to school for or train for vs what your career actually is ?

what did you go to school for or train for vs what your career actually is ?

July 6th, 2012, 1:59 am #1

I know elwctricians thag work as painters and teachers that work as bakers and real estate agents that bartend..seems a crapshoot and always has a fun story tied in.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

July 6th, 2012, 2:43 am #2

Studied to be a carpenter/cabinet builder, I have a locksmith certification that I can't use in the state where I live, and have taken sliver smithing classes,electrical classes,welding classes,and studied fluid power.....
BUT.... my first career was as an underground miner (roof bolter mostly) for 20 years with the same company. and am presently very near 17 continuous years with a manufacturing concern as an industrial mechanic.
Lots of side jobs along the way especially during the mining career as there were layoffs and strikes, did some general contracting, worked as a sign painter,house painter, hotel maintenance, That job almost got me killed,

Think I posted this picture a year or so ago but it was taken during my last shift in the Mines.
I enjoyed that job, the pay was great. but I'm better off without it.

James S

July 6th, 2012, 3:33 am #3

I went to school for criminal justice, worked in retail, construction , painting, metal stud, building maintenance, serving tables, boxer, EMT,, and now tile and carpet restoration ..life has been directionless but im learning new trades as we speak.scary .

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

July 6th, 2012, 4:17 am #4

I know elwctricians thag work as painters and teachers that work as bakers and real estate agents that bartend..seems a crapshoot and always has a fun story tied in.

And was at one point thinking of being a teacher or even go into writing. The problem was that I've always had a mechanical CAD system running in my head and I had to build and fix things. To further complicate my life I always scored high in electrical/ electronics aptitude tests. I kind of fell into the manufacturing/design and maintenance fields because it just came easy to me.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

July 6th, 2012, 6:37 am #5

Motorcycle Mechanics Institute when I was 16 after getting a GED. Worked my way through the shop pretty fast and spent 18+ years as head tech or shop foreman. When the economy started to fail big and a new baby was on the way. Mr Mom was created as the wife's work was far more stable plus all the health bens. 4 years at home now and 2 young ones and still have old cash in pocket customer base when time permits! Never trained for Mr Mom but it's the hardest work and the most gratifying in the world!

Jim

July 6th, 2012, 12:17 pm #6

Ever since I saw my Uncle Rob wearing a tall set of lace up work boots when I was about 4 years old I have known I wanted to work in construction. I got to build house during high school and college. I majored in Construction Management and have worked as an estimator and Construction Manager all my life. I have been blessed to work at the same company for the last 26 years or so. We are a Cold Storage Contractor doing the Cold Storage portion of Food Distribution Centers and Food Processors.

David Enoch

July 6th, 2012, 12:53 pm #7

<p>At 19 Y.O.went through 19 month course in 15 months. I was making more as a Carp. helper than a HVAC starting tech would get so i stayed a Carpenter! It worked out ok as i'm now a Proj. Super for a large S.E. Const. company, for past 20 years, been with them 24 years, never laid off.</p><p>Doug S.</p><p>www.clancytheys.com</p>

July 6th, 2012, 1:46 pm #8

A bit of a roundabout tour through many disciplines, I specialized in power equipment and control systems as an undergrad and did field service engineering for GE for 3 years, mostly commissioning the generator/excitation in large steam power plants. Went back and got a Masters specializing in non-destructive testing (active and passive magnetic leakage fields) but went to work for HP where I've do production support engineering on power supplies and monitors, integrated circuit design and management and am now the power and cooling principal engineer for HP's large servers.

-Scot

July 6th, 2012, 1:56 pm #9

I went to a tech school for dental lab technology, made teeth for few years now I'm a non-destructive testing inspector for an aerospace company...I inspect airplane parts for cracks via fluorescent dye penetrant & magnetic partical inspection.

July 6th, 2012, 2:24 pm #10

And was at one point thinking of being a teacher or even go into writing. The problem was that I've always had a mechanical CAD system running in my head and I had to build and fix things. To further complicate my life I always scored high in electrical/ electronics aptitude tests. I kind of fell into the manufacturing/design and maintenance fields because it just came easy to me.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.
Lots of people do what comes naturally.