What alloy are those green painted "plow bolts" at...........

What alloy are those green painted "plow bolts" at...........

April 1st, 2008, 7:11 pm #1

the Farm & Family stores? I found some 1 1/8"ers and bought a couple to play with and discovered the stuff doesn't machine well at all! I've been cutting grade 8 bolts and socket head cap screws with little difficulty on my lathe but those "green painted bolts" are a different story. I even tried a carbide insert tool and it cut for a few seconds, then the bolt seemed to "work harden" and the carbide started fracturing.

April 1st, 2008, 7:59 pm #2

I think they came from Japan and they are some super strong stuff. Used in the suspension of the Honda CRV.

When I saw the green, I figured it was some kinda rust proofing. But the head of the bolt wasn't covered.?.

April 4th, 2008, 12:16 pm #3

the Farm & Family stores? I found some 1 1/8"ers and bought a couple to play with and discovered the stuff doesn't machine well at all! I've been cutting grade 8 bolts and socket head cap screws with little difficulty on my lathe but those "green painted bolts" are a different story. I even tried a carbide insert tool and it cut for a few seconds, then the bolt seemed to "work harden" and the carbide started fracturing.
n