Went to buy a lathe tonight and walked out with an old Talon as well

Went to buy a lathe tonight and walked out with an old Talon as well

July 17th, 2017, 2:33 am #1

I went to go look at a used Jet lathe a few hours ago. The old boy was asking what I made on my current machines so I told him air rifles. I was expecting a chuckle, but instead he said I've got a few one was even made here in Fort Worth. I asked if it was an Air Force rifle. He confirmed and said lemme go get it for you. Sure enough it's an old Talon S/N A000041. We haggled for a bit on the lathe, but I never forgot the Talon. Once we agreed on a price for the lathe I asked if he's sell the Talon as well. He said yes, throw in an extra $100. I couldn't pass on it. So now I get to explain to my wife yet another air rifle.

July 17th, 2017, 2:46 am #2

I see Talon s/n's start with B. This one is definitely A. Why is this one different?

Thanks,
Austin

July 17th, 2017, 12:26 pm #3

My understanding is the A series only have two barrel screws instead of the current four.

Nice score for $100.

July 17th, 2017, 1:35 pm #4

Can confirm only 2 barrel screws. I've never had a non Spin Loc one. How much of a pain is it to fill the old ones? If it's a huge pain hopefully I can convert this one over.

July 17th, 2017, 4:31 pm #5

I went to go look at a used Jet lathe a few hours ago. The old boy was asking what I made on my current machines so I told him air rifles. I was expecting a chuckle, but instead he said I've got a few one was even made here in Fort Worth. I asked if it was an Air Force rifle. He confirmed and said lemme go get it for you. Sure enough it's an old Talon S/N A000041. We haggled for a bit on the lathe, but I never forgot the Talon. Once we agreed on a price for the lathe I asked if he's sell the Talon as well. He said yes, throw in an extra $100. I couldn't pass on it. So now I get to explain to my wife yet another air rifle.
Heard back from Air Force. It's an early production Talon. 97-98. Nothing special or unique about it other than the very low serial number. Nothing wrong with that, I'll definitely get my money back out of it plus a little.

July 18th, 2017, 4:03 pm #6

I had AirForce make my older Talon into a spinloc set up. I can't recall the
cost but I didn't think it was bad and the turnover was fast. I mainly wanted
to know what was left in the tank. I have a couple other spinlocs and the upgrade
made them all the same and I don't have to carry the large bottle fill cap around.

July 18th, 2017, 4:20 pm #7

I had actually talked to them about doing it. Was $50 if I didn't need a completely new bottle. I passed though. I like the rifle, but I decided I'm going to just clean it up, get a few strings on the chrony and then sell or trade it. I'm hoping since it's a first run, low low serial number I can get a better price. I'm not holding my breath though. I'd just like to get my wife her own Condor without coming out of pocket too much.

July 18th, 2017, 9:57 pm #8

but would like to see the Jet lathe over on the machining forum.....LOL
sounds like a good deal on both items.

TM