we have been watching three Mississippi Kites fly overhead

we have been watching three Mississippi Kites fly overhead

August 11th, 2012, 2:07 pm #1

this morning , twice one flew within twenty feet of us on the back porch hawking insects on the wing . very graceful birds to watch , the Mississippi river is great habitat for lots of different bird species from Hummingbirds to Bald Eagles. our home is one mile from the river as a Crow flies.

" Heaven is under our feet
as well as over our heads " Henry David Thoreau

August 11th, 2012, 3:14 pm #2

You can't help but be a bird/critter watcher if you live near the delta. Spent my childhood on Old River right near the Big Muddy & moved on the Atchafalaya River in my high school days. Still enjoy the visits for hunting, fishing, family, and just bird watching...

August 11th, 2012, 3:26 pm #3

at grain elevator there and at Lettsworth , La. elevator that loads barges on the Atchafalaya river, lota of good food , fauna , sexy Cajun and Redneck women , gotta love it. lots of nice old homes near Old River , great farmland and nice folks.

August 11th, 2012, 3:54 pm #4

Follow levy road from Batchlor bout 5 miles toward the Miss. River & my family is still there. Great getaway from it all haven...

Grain elevators in Lettsworth is monsterous area to catch catfish. Boy some oldtime memories there...

By the way, did you know that Buddy Guy was born in Lettsworth and across the bridge in Simmesport,(where my highschool years were spent) soul singer Joe Simon hailed...

August 11th, 2012, 4:07 pm #5

"The Sportsman" in Simmesport , i'm sure you are familiar with , once i was in the room closest to the RR tracks and when the train came through at night it sounded like it was going to go up my . . .
lots of great musicians from the south especially Louisiana , we don't try to fit in but we know how to have fun.

August 11th, 2012, 4:14 pm #6

BEST shrimp pizza of all time in the 70's. Went well with T-Joe's (Long neck 7 ounce Schlitz) and Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan Version) playing on the jukebox...

Last edited by bayouredd on August 11th, 2012, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

neck of the woods tomorrow on my motorsickle , i love that ride if i'm in no hurry , good paved road on the levee and not much traffic but nothing but curves , and more curves.

August 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm #8

Biggest deer herd ever, seen grazing on that trip to the north during off season. They would graze by the hundreds off the main highway. Damndest thing I had ever seen back in the day. Totally different from sitting a stand & hopeing one came your way...

August 11th, 2012, 4:41 pm #9

Natchez is a cool place too , kinda like a miniature New Orleans sorta.

August 11th, 2012, 5:51 pm #10

this morning , twice one flew within twenty feet of us on the back porch hawking insects on the wing . very graceful birds to watch , the Mississippi river is great habitat for lots of different bird species from Hummingbirds to Bald Eagles. our home is one mile from the river as a Crow flies.

I loved that trip. A truly beautiful springtime town! I used to eat at a place right on the southern edge of town and order the same thing every time. Roast Beef Au Jus with steak fries... Yummmmm!!!!!