Wanderin Zero, NCed, please chime in

Wanderin Zero, NCed, please chime in

September 26th, 2017, 2:05 am #1

Ed, you commented today about a wandering zero in my post "what happened to me" about my terrible outcome at a HFT event. How could I tell if I have a wandering zero. Because last night, I shot at 25yd target and was grouping nice and zero'd. So tomorrow, should I put my rifle in the sun for a while and see what happens? Any and all info is appreciated

September 26th, 2017, 3:09 am #2

shoot it benched at 30 yds with NO wind

Cold and then Hot ....

POI will likely change when it is hot -

it should be a predictable change that you can note and compensate for.

A stick on temperature gauge on your scope / and or rifle will help.

Here in So Cal we often have low 60's first thing in the am and by Noon we can be up in the high 90's ...

that's a 40 degree temperature swing to account for ..... metals expand when hot ... POI changes.

It is what it is .. because it is. Good luck .... it's all part of the game .. LOL

September 26th, 2017, 10:02 am #3

Thank you. Nt

September 26th, 2017, 12:55 pm #4

shoot it benched at 30 yds with NO wind

Cold and then Hot ....

POI will likely change when it is hot -

it should be a predictable change that you can note and compensate for.

A stick on temperature gauge on your scope / and or rifle will help.

Here in So Cal we often have low 60's first thing in the am and by Noon we can be up in the high 90's ...

that's a 40 degree temperature swing to account for ..... metals expand when hot ... POI changes.

It is what it is .. because it is. Good luck .... it's all part of the game .. LOL
are affected by temperature swings. The use of heavy tar seems to be a culpret and high temps cause lubes to find their way into the compression chamber causing some dieseling. I am finding that Krytox is not as subject to temp changes and my LGU (lubed with Krytox) seems temperature proof.

September 27th, 2017, 9:56 am #5

so today I'm going to let her in the sun for a good while to confirm. Thank you.

October 1st, 2017, 1:57 am #6

Ed, you commented today about a wandering zero in my post "what happened to me" about my terrible outcome at a HFT event. How could I tell if I have a wandering zero. Because last night, I shot at 25yd target and was grouping nice and zero'd. So tomorrow, should I put my rifle in the sun for a while and see what happens? Any and all info is appreciated
LOL....after my pitiful showing at the CCGC ft match today where I downed a paltry 45% of the targets with my springer, it does seems that I'm shouldn't be giving advice!