Walther Talon Hunter w/Nitro Piston .22

Walther Talon Hunter w/Nitro Piston .22

March 12th, 2012, 12:05 am #1

This post is mainly for Nomadic Pirate... lol

After a discussion about the merits of the Talon vs. the Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 the other day here on the yellow, I thought I'd take my Talon out today and see if I was missing something. Turns out I wasn't missing anything. Compared to the Benji it just wasn't comfortable for me to shoot and this was affecting accuracy to a noticeable degree. I got to thinking about it and figured out that the butt pad to trigger distance is just too long for me. I removed the rubber pad and cut off everything but the base part of the pad that fits directly onto the butt of the stock. Eurika! The rifle fits me perfectly now! A bonus is that the butt stock wraps comfortably around my shoulder and under my arm securely. The groups tightened up signficantly. I was able to reach out and touch my 2.5" swinger at 35 yards very effectively offhand. I still prefer the Benji, but the gap went from wide to very narrow. All in all, this weekend was very productive! I managed to learn the secrets of two of my rifles I hadn't shot as much as others in the cabinet. They'll come out much more now....

Charlie

March 12th, 2012, 3:42 am #2

But just couldnt get over how ugly they are, seems like a well made gun though.
wound up geting a xl 1100, love it to death....so much so I bought the trail np in .177.
Both are tack drivers.
I will never buy another gun with a spring in it.

March 12th, 2012, 8:58 am #3

That's why I shoot mine Open Sights, waiting for Hatsan to make avaiable wooden stocks for this gun,

but the shooting caratteristics, and the power are just on an other league from the NP XL ( and I really like my Trail, matter of fact I was shooting it today ) the trigger is sooo much better that even the nice Gold trigger.

does your Talon have the Nitro Piston ?

I will buy more Hatsan springers in the future, but wont buy an other Crosman for sure

==============================
DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra "Black Mamba" .357 "Tuned"
Career 707 Ultra .357
Career 707 III Carbine .25
Sumatra Rifle .25
Sumatra Carbine .25 "Tuned"
Career 707 II .22
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter Sport .177 "Tuned"
Hunter 220 .177

March 12th, 2012, 11:40 am #4

But just couldnt get over how ugly they are, seems like a well made gun though.
wound up geting a xl 1100, love it to death....so much so I bought the trail np in .177.
Both are tack drivers.
I will never buy another gun with a spring in it.
the mid 1980's. I had an RWS Model 52. I loved the gun and was amazed at the power that could be had with a single cocking stroke having grown up with the standard fare of Crosman and Daisy multi-stroke pneumatics. What I quickly discovered, however, was that I could only get about 2000 shots out of a spring before it would break and need replacing. I shoot quite a bit and this just happened too quickly. Dynamit Nobel used to be the main distributor for RWS and on the plus side, it was a simple matter to remove the action from the stock and send it to New Jersey for a spring replacement. They did this free of charge everytime the spring needed replacing. I only paid shipping. It just got to be a nuisance. When Beeman came out with the RX with the magical gas ram, I was one of the first in line. When I foolishly sold my RX-1,(had it upgraded by Beemans) I had well over 10000 shots through it and it performed as well when I sold it as when I first bought it. I've been shooting my Crow Magnum III now for 15 years and easily have well over 10000 rounds through it and it hasn't changed at all in peformance either. I'm not sure the Crosman nitro pistons are going to go the same distance as the Theobens, but the gas ram concept is certainly a sound one from my experience and I'm sure a properly built nitro piston will exceed the life expectancy of a spring.

Charlie

March 12th, 2012, 11:45 am #5

That's why I shoot mine Open Sights, waiting for Hatsan to make avaiable wooden stocks for this gun,

but the shooting caratteristics, and the power are just on an other league from the NP XL ( and I really like my Trail, matter of fact I was shooting it today ) the trigger is sooo much better that even the nice Gold trigger.

I will buy more Hatsan springers in the future, but wont buy an other Crosman for sure

DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra .357
Sumatra Rifle .25
Career 707 II .22
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter 220 .177
being too low on the Talon. It's not much of a problem for me now, it just means I have to use my neck muscles. I wound up putting a small, compact Simmons 4x scope on mine. At 49, open sights stopped being an option with declining eyesight. lol

I love the quattro trigger on the Talon. I had to substitute one of the adjustment screws with a slightely longer one in order to get the trigger 2nd stage letoff where I want it, but now it's pretty sweet and is good as any other trigger. The trigger on the NP XL sucks stock, but on mine, it sucks predictably making it possible to shoot very accurately.

Like I said before, the quattro trigger on an NP XL would be awesome.

If you ever find a source for a wooden stock for the Talon, please let me know. I'd be very interested!

Charlie

March 12th, 2012, 12:11 pm #6

DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra .357
Sumatra Rifle .25
Career 707 II .22
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter 220 .177
Talon does have the nitro piston. It's easy to tell the quality difference between the Talon and the NP XL during the cocking sequence. The Talon is far smoother and the latchup of the barrel breech to the compression chamber at the end of the cocking cycle is far more predictable positive. The way the NP XL latches up when the barrel is returned during the cocking sequence isn't as confidence inspiring, but functional. My Crow Magnum III serves as the benchmark here. I've never owned a smoother cocking and firing gas ram rifle in my life. The RX-1 came the closest, but the machining tolerances held on the Crow Magnum III are unparalled in my experience. It's my Rolls Royce gas ram air rifle. lol

During the firing sequence, it's not as easy for me to tell how smooth the Talon is because the stock resonates so strongly on the Talon. It almost seems like it fires harsher, but this can't be the case because the accuracy is so good. In the end, it's always the results that speak for themselves.

For the price, both the NP XL and the Walther Talon are really good buys. One just needs to be patient enough to learn their secrets.

Charlie

March 12th, 2012, 3:23 pm #7

the mid 1980's. I had an RWS Model 52. I loved the gun and was amazed at the power that could be had with a single cocking stroke having grown up with the standard fare of Crosman and Daisy multi-stroke pneumatics. What I quickly discovered, however, was that I could only get about 2000 shots out of a spring before it would break and need replacing. I shoot quite a bit and this just happened too quickly. Dynamit Nobel used to be the main distributor for RWS and on the plus side, it was a simple matter to remove the action from the stock and send it to New Jersey for a spring replacement. They did this free of charge everytime the spring needed replacing. I only paid shipping. It just got to be a nuisance. When Beeman came out with the RX with the magical gas ram, I was one of the first in line. When I foolishly sold my RX-1,(had it upgraded by Beemans) I had well over 10000 shots through it and it performed as well when I sold it as when I first bought it. I've been shooting my Crow Magnum III now for 15 years and easily have well over 10000 rounds through it and it hasn't changed at all in peformance either. I'm not sure the Crosman nitro pistons are going to go the same distance as the Theobens, but the gas ram concept is certainly a sound one from my experience and I'm sure a properly built nitro piston will exceed the life expectancy of a spring.

Charlie
...it sounds much better

DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra .357
Sumatra Rifle .25
Career 707 II .22
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter 220 .177

March 12th, 2012, 3:27 pm #8

I'm shooting 27gr pellets out of my Talon and 14.3gr out of my Trail, that's why I want to test the Trail .25,...but that guy didn't drop it of yesterday, hopefully this week sometime

DAQ Outlaw .452
Career 707 Ultra .357
Sumatra Rifle .25
Career 707 II .22
Sumatra Carbine .22
AR6 Pistol .22
Walther Talon NP .25
Trail NP XL .22 "Tuned"
RWS 34 .22
Nitro Venom .22
Hunter 220 .177

March 12th, 2012, 4:59 pm #9

675ft/sec out of my NP XL 725. I'd expect around 630 ft/sec with the pellets you're thinking on trying.

Yup, going to have to to the foam thing to my Talon at some point..

Charlie