Vortek HW Breech Seals...

Vortek HW Breech Seals...

May 15th, 2017, 8:14 pm #1

I know their piston seals are black moly impregnated, but are the Vortek black breech seals made of the same material? If so, I don't understand any advantage - except for easier removal? I ordered a breech seal for my HW55 (serial #87,596) from both Vortek and Chambers. After receiving both, the white colored(almost a clear, light colored) B-seal from Chambers is noticeably more soft & pliable than the black B-seal from Vortek. That one is more firm like plastic. Wouldn't the slightly softer one seal better?
Also, I wanted to try and replace buggered screws, but some are no longer available...such as the flat front stock screw. I tried an HW30/R7 screw, but it's about 1/4 inch too short to make it through the Tyro stock. Anyone know where I can get the right one? I figure if Chambers doesn't have it, who will? I suppose I could lightly file/fine sand/Re-blue touch-up the buggered screw...
I also ordered a replacement HW55 pivot bolt from Chambers, for the buggered-up original, but they goofed and sent me a new screw for a BSA Magnum pistol. I had to Email them. I hope they don't expect me to send it back to them!

May 16th, 2017, 1:23 pm #2

Hi There,

The last Vortek seals I received were yellow and hard. Not sure if they have changed, I always like the slightly softer seals, but doesn't mean the Vortek seals didn't work. Good thing about a harder seal is under theory the lock up would be more consistent. I have been sticking mainly with the HW seals as they are very good.

Not sure I can help on the screw, other than I thought the HW 35 had the same style have you checked it out? I have dressed up several buggered screws in the past, clean the burrs and use 44/40 cold blue, turn out like new.

Jason G

May 16th, 2017, 1:40 pm #3

I know their piston seals are black moly impregnated, but are the Vortek black breech seals made of the same material? If so, I don't understand any advantage - except for easier removal? I ordered a breech seal for my HW55 (serial #87,596) from both Vortek and Chambers. After receiving both, the white colored(almost a clear, light colored) B-seal from Chambers is noticeably more soft & pliable than the black B-seal from Vortek. That one is more firm like plastic. Wouldn't the slightly softer one seal better?
Also, I wanted to try and replace buggered screws, but some are no longer available...such as the flat front stock screw. I tried an HW30/R7 screw, but it's about 1/4 inch too short to make it through the Tyro stock. Anyone know where I can get the right one? I figure if Chambers doesn't have it, who will? I suppose I could lightly file/fine sand/Re-blue touch-up the buggered screw...
I also ordered a replacement HW55 pivot bolt from Chambers, for the buggered-up original, but they goofed and sent me a new screw for a BSA Magnum pistol. I had to Email them. I hope they don't expect me to send it back to them!
I ran across the exact same thing, aftermarket harder breech seals changed POI so I ordered original opaque white seals off eBay from the UK.
Ordered a few spares, problem solved. They are a bit softer and last a really long time, the original seal was still working from 1981 but started to get hard and brittle.