Viper -vs- R9 mini-review

Viper -vs- R9 mini-review

September 30th, 2006, 4:40 am #1

I shot a .177, rifled, Viper (not Viper Express) a few weeks ago and can't get it out of my mind how nice it was. Cocked buttery smooth, so-so trigger, super comfy stock and weight, a little twangy but not harsh at all. Accurate enough to knock the pigs over at the airgun silhouette range.
I recently bought a used R9. Better trigger, of course. Fairly comfortable, very nicely finished beech, good weight, harder to cock than the Gamo, and twice as twangy. The R9 shot like a dry-fired bow. I managed to tone it down with some tar and spring spacing, but it still seems like it's over-priced. I'm sure it would be fantastic with a pro tune, muzzle-brake, and etc, but I ain't made of money.
Dollar for dollar, comparing stock guns, the Gamo Viper, assuming the one I shot is a representative example, is a better buy. Now I see where you guys are coming from.
I thought you Gamites would appreciate that.
--
Dan (in NY)
Last edited by mightyd on September 30th, 2006, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 30th, 2006, 1:34 pm #2

nt-

Good men die young,

Great men never die!

September 30th, 2006, 1:58 pm #3

I shot a .177, rifled, Viper (not Viper Express) a few weeks ago and can't get it out of my mind how nice it was. Cocked buttery smooth, so-so trigger, super comfy stock and weight, a little twangy but not harsh at all. Accurate enough to knock the pigs over at the airgun silhouette range.
I recently bought a used R9. Better trigger, of course. Fairly comfortable, very nicely finished beech, good weight, harder to cock than the Gamo, and twice as twangy. The R9 shot like a dry-fired bow. I managed to tone it down with some tar and spring spacing, but it still seems like it's over-priced. I'm sure it would be fantastic with a pro tune, muzzle-brake, and etc, but I ain't made of money.
Dollar for dollar, comparing stock guns, the Gamo Viper, assuming the one I shot is a representative example, is a better buy. Now I see where you guys are coming from.
--
Dan (in NY)
you can usually count on with a Gamo. They are the McDonalds of the airgun world. If you're looking for a gourmet meal or its your first date with Cindy Crawford and you really want to impress her, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you're just hungry.............

September 30th, 2006, 5:14 pm #4

--
Dan (in NY)
I can see that it would be a better buy than an R9.

December 3rd, 2006, 9:51 pm #5

you can usually count on with a Gamo. They are the McDonalds of the airgun world. If you're looking for a gourmet meal or its your first date with Cindy Crawford and you really want to impress her, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you're just hungry.............
its the best i could find for my price range