May 26th, 2017, 6:27 am #1

this video clip is taken from a video I am doing on a Turkish tomahawk project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fswuo1mbRuM

May 26th, 2017, 7:21 am #2

nt

May 26th, 2017, 12:58 pm #3

Would you mind explaining the problem with the barrel...a tight spot?

May 26th, 2017, 1:26 pm #4

area, compared to the tiny area of the pellet, will speed and improve the process.Bump up the lap with a snug fitting brass punch to keep the fit snug.

The lap should be at least three bore diameters long, and the rod needs to be mounted to a ball bearing handle...old quick release bike hubs with the flanges removed and smoothed up work well.

Casting a .177 lap on a rod can be a pita, you may need to warm the barrel first.

Last edited by classicalgas on May 27th, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2017, 11:11 pm #5

I was working with .22 caliber, used a standard cleaning rod and a long brass screw with the head turned down. I took the same basic approach with a cylinder of lead although I didn't use pellets. The cleaning rod tip provided the lower shoulder for the lead lap.I did get the rod to turn with the rifling and felt the high spots disappear so it worked but I want to refine it.

It worked but I'll work towards a better solution when I have more time.

May 27th, 2017, 12:28 am #6

area, compared to the tiny area of the pellet, will speed and improve the process.Bump up the lap with a snug fitting brass punch to keep the fit snug.

The lap should be at least three bore diameters long, and the rod needs to be mounted to a ball bearing handle...old quick release bike hubs with the flanges removed and smoothed up work well.

Casting a .177 lap on a rod can be a pita, you may need to warm the barrel first.

Later I'll go back and get the bore lapping tool made up with a full size lap, pretty sure that wiping lead was not the ticket over regular lead. I did heat the bore before I poured the lead other wise it could flash, also heated the ladle before melting the lead into it.

rotating handle looks great I'll look into that.

Thanks Scot.

Mike E.
Last edited by 4888blues on May 27th, 2017, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2017, 12:33 am #7

I was working with .22 caliber, used a standard cleaning rod and a long brass screw with the head turned down. I took the same basic approach with a cylinder of lead although I didn't use pellets. The cleaning rod tip provided the lower shoulder for the lead lap.I did get the rod to turn with the rifling and felt the high spots disappear so it worked but I want to refine it.

It worked but I'll work towards a better solution when I have more time.
for now it got the job done, but still need to complete the project & the video on it.
So I' ll get back to the bore lap tool afterwards

May 27th, 2017, 12:37 am #8

Would you mind explaining the problem with the barrel...a tight spot?
has minimum pellet drag loose fit & free fall.
So I need to lap down the 1st 3rd from breech end that fits snug in order to get the pellet to fit the 2nd and last 1/3 of the barrel

May 27th, 2017, 12:40 am #9

nt
Thanks, I was glad I did, now I can continue with the project Nt