Vegetable Gardens...

Vegetable Gardens...

June 17th, 2012, 6:36 pm #1

Anyone else start one this year?

I Planted:

18 Tomato Plants 3 Varieties, Trellised with Bamboo I have growing in abundance on our property. Attained a height of 8/9ft with this method, The yields are impressive. I don't eat tomatoes that often, Mostly for the wife and friends.
6 Cantaloupe Plants, I eat these without reserve.
6 Cayenne Hot Pepper Plants, I don't eat these, I string them and hang them in the Kitchen, I like the way they look. I do offer them to anyone who does enjoy Hot peppers.
Looking forward to the Sweet White Corn that is locally grown.

June 17th, 2012, 7:24 pm #2

I planted 6 cucumber plants, 10 squash, 20 cabbage, 6 habanero, 6 banana pepper, 10 cauliflower and 130 tomato plants. All are growing well but I need rain.

June 17th, 2012, 9:38 pm #3

I Planted:

18 Tomato Plants 3 Varieties, Trellised with Bamboo I have growing in abundance on our property. Attained a height of 8/9ft with this method, The yields are impressive. I don't eat tomatoes that often, Mostly for the wife and friends.
6 Cayenne Hot Pepper Plants, I don't eat these, I string them and hang them in the Kitchen, I like the way they look. I do offer them to anyone who does enjoy Hot peppers.
<p>I string them too, pinch one off for different dishes. I also put a couple in my Saurkraut jars. Been getting ripe tomatoes about a week now, the heat and Humidity stresses them a lot around here, they get smaller as the heat bears down later.</p><p>Doug S.</p>
Last edited by dsmalln on June 17th, 2012, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 11:27 pm #4

I planted 6 cucumber plants, 10 squash, 20 cabbage, 6 habanero, 6 banana pepper, 10 cauliflower and 130 tomato plants. All are growing well but I need rain.
130 Tomato plants???
Do you sell them to a co-op, Or on a Road side stand?
That's a lot of F*cking Tomatoes if you know what you are doing, And I'm sure you do!

BTW- I couldn't ask for better moisture conditions, Its the cloud cover that's slowing things around SE Penna.
Are you are augmenting with some type of irrigation system?

June 17th, 2012, 11:33 pm #5

<p>I string them too, pinch one off for different dishes. I also put a couple in my Saurkraut jars. Been getting ripe tomatoes about a week now, the heat and Humidity stresses them a lot around here, they get smaller as the heat bears down later.</p><p>Doug S.</p>
My late Aunt slow fried the fresh Cayenne's in Olive Oil, Used for weeks as an added spice.

June 18th, 2012, 5:13 am #6

I Planted:

15 plums, 25 hazel nuts, a mulberry and a fig, 7 pear trees, three grape vines, and several cherry trees, both wild and domestic. Ground cover under the fruit trees is strawberries(woodland, alpine, and hybrids) with currants and gooseberries in the mulch under some of the trees. The veggie garden(raised beds) is bodered with asparagus and artichoke, with herbs mixed in. We've had poor luck with the tropicals(tomatoes peppers, melons and eggplants)these last few years, so they are in the new greenhouse this year with fruit set already on the peppers and tomatoes. The red and yellow raspberries should be ripe in another couple weeks,and the new potatoes in the towers should be ready about then too.We ate the last of last years frozen produce a few weeks ago, so we are ready for the new fruit, though we've been eating salads from the garden for a couple months, now.
Last edited by classicalgas on June 18th, 2012, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 18th, 2012, 5:21 am #7

I Planted:

Nothing big. Some of our stuff is in containers. This year we have:

Tomatos
Potatos
Onions
Bell Peppers
Jalapenos
Bush beans
Squash
Strawberries
Cucumbers
Corn
Snap peas
Lettuce
Chard

Also have a bunch of herbs. Got some lemongrass from a friend a couple months ago and it's really taking off. Recently bought a blueberry bush, a madarin orange tree and two Kumcuat trees. Our grape vine is producing more than it ever has and I could about fill a small car with the lemons off our tree.