$5 CUSTOM HAWKE scope SF Big Wheel - PICS -

$5 CUSTOM HAWKE scope SF Big Wheel - PICS -

October 27th, 2009, 8:07 pm #1

Ok so a few have noticed my rather unusual side wheel on my Hawke Sidewinder scope
And yes it is different!

These are great FT scopes IMOP and I got lucky with mine as it has exceptional glass however because of the illuminated reticle and the on/off being part of the range finding side knob :having a custom wheel made for it is and expensive option as in the $150-$200 range depending on material used..if fact Ive yet to see one on a sidewinder..

So for those of you with a Hawke side focus scope here is the recipe for a $5 extra large sidewheel.

Lowes, Home Depot all carry these for between $4 and $5 I paid $4.85 at Lowes for this one and yes its a toilet base flange made out of very tough ABS black plastic which is strong and light and very easy to drill and mill if you want or have the tools to.

Just hack saw off the lower portion of the flange leaving about 1/2 of ABS.

And then sand the heck out of all visible surfaces.

The beauty and simplicity of this designs is that it incorporates your existing Hawke 100mm big wheel and you basically slip it over the top of it .

To secure the new wheel to the old I chose to install 4 small Allen key / hex key grub screws Which are available at most hardware stores for about .20c each

Simply drill and tap 4 equally spaced holes in the inner ring and then install the grub screws.

Youll find that youll need to wrap the exterior edge of you old big wheel with some black electrical tape or a rubber band to get a really tight fit but this also serves and a protective cushion between the grub screw contact point and your old wheel so as not to mar it when you tighten those screws down.

NB. Dont over tighten the grub screws as you are dealing with threaded ABS not metal
Over tightening will jut result in treaded holes, which you need to retap.

Once you are confident that everything fits snugly (dry fit it to the scope wheel) take it off and give it a nice coat of Rustoleum Plastic paint NB. Hundreds of colors are available for $4 a can I already had a can of Satin Black , which matches the scope, finish perfectly.

Anway thats it once its dry fit it to your existing wheel if will fit and work perfectly maybe not the pettiest big wheel Ive seen but is VERY cheap and functional.

Total cost in materials for mine about $6 and about an hour of labor to buy, sand, drill, tap and paint.

Hell nobody of the FT course at CASA laughed at mine .. at least not to my face

As a final note 1/2 white masking tape fits the outer edge of the wheel nicely to mark your ranges. I also plan on using my drill press and removing some of the ABS adding some nice big holes and making it look a little less like a toilet flange and more like a custom big wheel !

Continued safe shooting.
James
http://whiscombe.net/

October 27th, 2009, 8:37 pm #2

<p>James, </p><p>American ingenuity at work. Great job.</p><p>Pat</p>

October 27th, 2009, 9:04 pm #3

I do live here now and love all that is the USA ....

October 27th, 2009, 9:10 pm #4

Ok so a few have noticed my rather unusual side wheel on my Hawke Sidewinder scope
And yes it is different!

These are great FT scopes IMOP and I got lucky with mine as it has exceptional glass however because of the illuminated reticle and the on/off being part of the range finding side knob :having a custom wheel made for it is and expensive option as in the $150-$200 range depending on material used..if fact Ive yet to see one on a sidewinder..

So for those of you with a Hawke side focus scope here is the recipe for a $5 extra large sidewheel.

Lowes, Home Depot all carry these for between $4 and $5 I paid $4.85 at Lowes for this one and yes its a toilet base flange made out of very tough ABS black plastic which is strong and light and very easy to drill and mill if you want or have the tools to.

The beauty and simplicity of this designs is that it incorporates your existing Hawke 100mm big wheel and you basically slip it over the top of it .

To secure the new wheel to the old I chose to install 4 small Allen key / hex key grub screws Which are available at most hardware stores for about .20c each

Simply drill and tap 4 equally spaced holes in the inner ring and then install the grub screws.

Youll find that youll need to wrap the exterior edge of you old big wheel with some black electrical tape or a rubber band to get a really tight fit but this also serves and a protective cushion between the grub screw contact point and your old wheel so as not to mar it when you tighten those screws down.

NB. Dont over tighten the grub screws as you are dealing with threaded ABS not metal

Once you are confident that everything fits snugly (dry fit it to the scope wheel) take it off and give it a nice coat of Rustoleum Plastic paint NB. Hundreds of colors are available for $4 a can I already had a can of Satin Black , which matches the scope, finish perfectly.

Anway thats it once its dry fit it to your existing wheel if will fit and work perfectly maybe not the pettiest big wheel Ive seen but is VERY cheap and functional.

Total cost in materials for mine about $6 and about an hour of labor to buy, sand, drill, tap and paint.

As a final note 1/2 white masking tape fits the outer edge of the wheel nicely to mark your ranges. I also plan on using my drill press and removing some of the ABS adding some nice big holes and making it look a little less like a toilet flange and more like a custom big wheel !

Continued safe shooting.
James

October 27th, 2009, 9:34 pm #5

thought of a toilet flange! very cleaver! It should be fairly light weight too. Drilling more holes would make it lighter still.

Wacky Wayne, MD. Ashland Air Rifle Range

October 27th, 2009, 10:41 pm #6

And yes it is different!

Continued safe shooting.
James

October 27th, 2009, 11:12 pm #7

And yes it is different!

Continued safe shooting.
James

Wonderful Idea. You may have saved me a bundle.

October 27th, 2009, 11:58 pm #8

And yes it is different!

Continued safe shooting.
James

nt

"Thumper2"

October 28th, 2009, 12:27 am #9

or perhaps a Rolls Royce !!

The real reason I came up with it was 'need'

I had my first match coming up and nobody would make me a wheel for less than $150 and I had to send the scope for a custom fit ...

+ it would take several weeks .....etc etc etc

Hence 'make my own'

I'd love a nice one in polished aluminum, or perhaps Stainless Steel ... maybe soon ! This ones working fine for now !

cheers
James

October 28th, 2009, 2:31 am #10

bigger is better imo .

"Thumper2"