US Airgun History Survey - How old is your Airgun Club and/or other clubs

US Airgun History Survey - How old is your Airgun Club and/or other clubs

October 9th, 2010, 3:49 am #1

that you are aware of from years past? If you can provide the year or approximate year for your or other clubs, please post. Very curious about the chronology and maturity of U.S. clubs that shoot or shot FT.

Regards,

Tony

October 9th, 2010, 4:57 pm #2

I'd guess 78-1980. Harry Klump founded the CASA club a few years B4 I became owner of the Mac1 shop. So my best guess is 1978 for AirGun Silhouette which Harry Klump also got started and made the original scaled down targets back in the mid seventies. I say I was a founding Member because it was a club a long time before it had any activity. Harry was a great starter of projects.
He was an inovator not an administrator. We all know the type. Projects galore. Few results. Harry is best known for his HRK Engineering input to the RWS C-Mount. To his credit goes the development of the Beeman R11 that started out as Marksman projects Model 56(silhouette)and 58(FT). The melding of the FT stock and Silho action with Bull barrel became the platform for the R9 based R11 project.
I hung a small address book on a string at both the shops in San Diego and LA from 1975-1978. On the front it said "IF YOU WANT TO BE NOTIFIED OF AIRGUN COMPETITIONS PUT YOUR INFORMATION IN HERE"
When we had over 100 names we sent a mailer out to everyone.
Nobody showed up to the first event. Three of us shot it rather discouraged. Keith Phillips, Harry Klump and Myself. Keith was the McMurray & Son salesman. It wasn't Mac-1 till mid 80's.
At that point I actually had been fired by my father(College Graduation Present) so I was promoting Silhouette with my own funds and shooting airgun competitions on the weekends. I didn't come back to the shop till my Dad left in early '81. To say we didn't work well together would be fair.
We learned that 20, 30, 38.5 and 50 meters was a long was to shoot offhand. I didn't get skunked but this distance thing needed a rethink. 1/10th scale of high power targets and distances was tough.
The Texas shooters using 10 meter match guns wound up getting the NRA distances trimmed back considerably to the current 20. 30, 36 & 45 yard format.
I think we shot our first FT course sometime in 1982 or '3. Probably up in Ojai. LD was in the club by then and we were shooting Silho regularly at South Coast Gun Club in Irvine. Shadetree Shooters started a 3rd Saturday Airgun Silho at LASC and we started to learn how to play Silhouette from seasoned Rimfire and Hunter Pistol competitors that used airguns at home to practice with.
Those guys spanked us thoroughly till we got our Airpistol gear sorted/fitted with rifle scopes.
If someone wanted to go through the ASCA and CASA early newsletters I'm sure the History would be given some more precise dates. It is all such a blur at this point.
I do know 30 years went away and I enjoyed myself.
In SoCal there has been Target Airgun Group (also co-founded by Harry K) which ran and developed the Pachmayr Facility when CASA's board dropped the ball on that project.
Pachmayr project was championed by Durham, Klump, Burciaga, McMurray, Alfaro & Korick. TAG was merged with CASA when the CASA board went NEW blood.
Harry & Sat down after about 10 years of club activity and it was finally self sustaining at that point. We counted up the assets of the club and it basically was maintaining the same asset level we had originally donated to the effort plus it had helped nuture and/or jumpstart a few other clubs along the way. We considered it a lot of effort but well worth it.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Times New Roman">
Mac1 Airgun
</font>

October 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm #3

Was there a group of airgunners at a place down south call the Condor Club?

Also, do you remember if CASA helped set up NOCASA up Field Target up here. I had heard that over in Marin County a group of airgunners including Greg Tobler, Dave Slade and a few others started shooting FT over there, then they shut down and Greg and a guy named Mike started FT at Diablo Rod and Gun Club where I shoot FT today.

I seem to remember hearing along the way that CASA donated targets to our club way back when to help get FT going up north.

Thanks for all the info.!

Regards,

Tony

October 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm #4

that you are aware of from years past? If you can provide the year or approximate year for your or other clubs, please post. Very curious about the chronology and maturity of U.S. clubs that shoot or shot FT.

Regards,

Tony
Since Ronnie is forbidden to respond here, maybe you can post that club's info.... pretty sure you know the history.

Thanks,

BS

October 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm #5

club that Greg T., Dave Slade and Mike started over in Marin? Did you shoot today?

Regards,

Tony

October 9th, 2010, 10:48 pm #6

I only know the history since I've been there. Scott Rich - beammeupscotty- talked me into stopping by & seeing what it was all about. 4-5 years ago I guess. I saw the atmosphere of friendliness, helping, trash talking, throwing rocks while someone was shooting..... I've been going back ever since. I hold the club low record at 2. No asterisks.... just 2. After the match, Scott sat down with my pos poi shifting Logun Solo & found the pellets were clipping the mod. Chances are if he haddn't taken the time, I never would have gone back. After dealing with my rookie problems he'd step into the clubhouse & do a lube tune on two Slavias belonging to two young grandkids, Grandma standing by. The club is in his debt now that he's gone on to other things. Greg, Kevin, Jonathan.... others that guided the club over the years kept the atmosphere... that's why it has survived & continues to grow.

BS

October 9th, 2010, 10:55 pm #7

Regards,

Tony
..sometime in 1994, if I remember correctly, by Robert Buchanan, his father, and Greg Glover. Current club president, Larry Piercy and also Robert's brother Steve joined shortly thereafter and were all members of the same church.

Phoenix Airgunners was formed in 1993 by Brett Reno at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. I remember a presentation made by Brett at one of the Tuesday night pistol league competitions promoting air rifle field target. He set up a match the following Sunday morning and I brought along my RWS 75U to give it a try. It was at this time that I also met Bobby Corcorran, along with a bunch of other neat folks.

I shot with these guys for a few months, but work and other activities precluded me from participating more. I also foolishly sold my RWS and had no gun to shoot.

Sometime in 1994 or 1995, the two clubs became one, from the stories that I have been told and moved forward from there.

Several years passed and a fellow archery competitor showed me his air rifles, told me about Airguns of Arizona, then located in Mesa, AZ, and we made the trip over there on a Saturday morning shortly thereafter. I remember walking into that tiny shop next to a tire store and was dumbstruck at the number of airguns in stock. After several re-visits I purchased a used AA Pro Sport in .177 and had it outfitted with a Swift scope. I still own that gun.

After reading the accounts and stories written on the yellow forum by Billy LoMeli about the AAFTA nationals that he was running at the time, my interest and desire to be part of this activity has been piqued. Since then, Billy Lo and I have become good friends, I renewed my friendship with Bobby and Sandy Corcorran, and have fallen head over heals into this field target thing.

For the past 4 years or so, I have been secretary of Airgunners of Arizona and am paying back all of the help, encouragement, kindness and friendship that was extended to me by all of these fine folks. That same kindness is extended to all new members and visitors that come to shoot at our monthly matches.

Greg Glover, who works at Airguns of Arizona, has all of the club history and can give you accurate dates and names.

Hope this helps.
Mark Kauffman

October 9th, 2010, 10:56 pm #8

I only know the history since I've been there. Scott Rich - beammeupscotty- talked me into stopping by & seeing what it was all about. 4-5 years ago I guess. I saw the atmosphere of friendliness, helping, trash talking, throwing rocks while someone was shooting..... I've been going back ever since. I hold the club low record at 2. No asterisks.... just 2. After the match, Scott sat down with my pos poi shifting Logun Solo & found the pellets were clipping the mod. Chances are if he haddn't taken the time, I never would have gone back. After dealing with my rookie problems he'd step into the clubhouse & do a lube tune on two Slavias belonging to two young grandkids, Grandma standing by. The club is in his debt now that he's gone on to other things. Greg, Kevin, Jonathan.... others that guided the club over the years kept the atmosphere... that's why it has survived & continues to grow.

BS

that started it originally at Diablo Rod and Gun Club. Then Scott started shooting around 2000...2001 is when Scott tried getting me to shoot there when I met him and Doug B. up at Mountain Lyon's...

The other piece is the time and club preceding shooting at DRGC over in Marin with Greg T. and David Slade that I'm interested in...

So did you shoot today in Sacto?

Regards,

Tony

October 9th, 2010, 11:04 pm #9

..sometime in 1994, if I remember correctly, by Robert Buchanan, his father, and Greg Glover. Current club president, Larry Piercy and also Robert's brother Steve joined shortly thereafter and were all members of the same church.

Phoenix Airgunners was formed in 1993 by Brett Reno at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. I remember a presentation made by Brett at one of the Tuesday night pistol league competitions promoting air rifle field target. He set up a match the following Sunday morning and I brought along my RWS 75U to give it a try. It was at this time that I also met Bobby Corcorran, along with a bunch of other neat folks.

I shot with these guys for a few months, but work and other activities precluded me from participating more. I also foolishly sold my RWS and had no gun to shoot.

Sometime in 1994 or 1995, the two clubs became one, from the stories that I have been told and moved forward from there.

Several years passed and a fellow archery competitor showed me his air rifles, told me about Airguns of Arizona, then located in Mesa, AZ, and we made the trip over there on a Saturday morning shortly thereafter. I remember walking into that tiny shop next to a tire store and was dumbstruck at the number of airguns in stock. After several re-visits I purchased a used AA Pro Sport in .177 and had it outfitted with a Swift scope. I still own that gun.

After reading the accounts and stories written on the yellow forum by Billy LoMeli about the AAFTA nationals that he was running at the time, my interest and desire to be part of this activity has been piqued. Since then, Billy Lo and I have become good friends, I renewed my friendship with Bobby and Sandy Corcorran, and have fallen head over heals into this field target thing.

For the past 4 years or so, I have been secretary of Airgunners of Arizona and am paying back all of the help, encouragement, kindness and friendship that was extended to me by all of these fine folks. That same kindness is extended to all new members and visitors that come to shoot at our monthly matches.

Greg Glover, who works at Airguns of Arizona, has all of the club history and can give you accurate dates and names.

Hope this helps.
Mark Kauffman
you guys have been around for quite some time now, no wonder you host such organized and well run matches!

Good to see you are truly in it for the long haul! Thanks for taking the time to organize the information and posting it.

Regards,

Tony

October 9th, 2010, 11:28 pm #10

Hope this helps.
Mark Kauffman
I graduated Mesa High School 1975. Used to go down Gilbert road to street race my '68 440 6 pac GTX on the country roads south. The speed limit going thru town was like 1 mph.... a cop ALWAYS waiting to nab a poor soul as he came down from Mesa and entered town.

There was a pizza place on that street, on a corner, on the right side. Maybe where AOA is now, don't know. John Simcoe owned it. Tried to mess with my wife. Loaded gun, he wasn't there. Drove down to his house... cops everywhere... someone at the pizza place dropped a dime. Probably best for both of us he wasn't there. I remember his wife's name was Jane, & they owned a couple of gas stations in Mesa.

BS