Updated adjustment instructions for the "copycat" GTX style triggers.

Updated adjustment instructions for the "copycat" GTX style triggers.

April 10th, 2009, 1:16 am #1

The fun of using an adjustable trigger depends a lot on how quick, easy, and reliable it is to adjust, and that depends a lot on the clarity and accuracy of the adustment instructions provided with it. So in working toward last week's reintroduction of the Generation-II GTX, I tried to give careful thought to finding a good way to organize the Adjustment Guide.

The best organization seemed to be suggested by the logical sequence of adjustment of the two GTX screws: Primary first, then Secondary, because adjusting the Primary affects the setting of the Secondary but the reverse effect doesn't happen. So if a good setting for the Primary screw is found first, the Secondary can then be fine-tuned without losing and having to revisit and retweak the Primary setting. This natural approach seems to working well, because so far feedback from GTX users is favorable, saying the Guide is straightforward and makes GTX tuning quick and easy.

However, it's come to my attention that the adjustment instructions provided for the copy of the GTX the "fishy guy" sells are very different from mine. In fact, they're so confused that they get the proper sequence of screw adjustments completely backwards.

I don't think airgunners should suffer simply because they had the bad luck to buy their GTX style trigger from a guy who didn't understand the design he stole well enough to write proper adjustment instructions for it. So this post is for them - to suggest a better way to optmize their triggers.

Please feel free to use these - with my compliments.

Click Here: <font size="+2"> GTX Adjustment Guide </font>

(Note that you'll need a screwdriver instead of an Allen wrench for Primary screw adjustment, which can be annoying when the gun is assembled and the trigger guard gets in the way. Unforunately, (unlike the GTX which I supply with a right-angle Allen wrench) I don't know of an easy solution for this - unless you have a right-angle screwdriver handy - or want to drill an access hole in the guard.)

Steve

Last edited by pneuguy on April 10th, 2009, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2009, 7:44 pm #2

<p>Is there a diagram or a series of them that shows how the 1st and 2nd stage screws interact with the strut and the sear in the working stages of the trigger assembly?</p><p>I think that would go a long ways towards showing how the benefits of a smoothed or polished screw end like yours makes a difference as well as act as an educational lesson for anyone not really familiar with how the parts work together.</p><p>Plus, I just like to see how it all works.  The closup pics of the business end of the sear before and after the release (break) are nice too.  </p><p>Do you recommed any lubricants be used?  Or is it not neccessary?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for that.</p>
Last edited by Revwarnut on April 10th, 2009, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2009, 8:18 pm #3

...the fishy guy, which I should have corrected years ago.

The Primary screw adjusts the relationship between the transition between 1st and 2nd stages relative to the end of engagement and the point of alignment of the edges of the Strut and Sear.

This principle of operation has been exactly the same since long before the GTX existed, when I (with James Perotti's help) first started experimenting with Gamo trigger inserts, as illustrated in this sequence from 2004. Note that here I called it the "Creep Adust" screw.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... +sequence-

Meanwhile the Secondary screw is merely there to take up slack underneath the safety toggle and, in fact, could probably be dispensed with altogether. The first GTXs worked just fine without it.

Thanks for the excellent questions.

Steve

PS: As for lubrication, I personally prefer moly paste thinned with oil at points of contact where steel meets steel, and oil or light grease elsewhere. But opinions differ.

Last edited by pneuguy on April 10th, 2009, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2009, 9:36 pm #4

You've owned that design for 5 years now???

Just a small quote from one of the links.

"Thanks for your take...btw, can you work up a 2 stage trigger setup for gamo type triggers/chinese triggers?!?! You're developing amazing stuff, congrats!!!"
Last edited by BuyMyJunk on April 10th, 2009, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2009, 10:11 pm #5

...the GTX-I replacement blade (on the right in this scale drawing). Those were first sold in September 2004.

When the Mk-Is sold out, I then did the same with the GTX-II (shown on the left). That design (which was the one stolen) was sold with only minor (e.g., cosmetic) mod's from early '05, until last week.

Steve

April 10th, 2009, 10:25 pm #6

to begin with or did you always have a "seller" for lack of a better word.

April 10th, 2009, 10:42 pm #7

...between implementation and marketing. I doubt that anybody can do both sides really well all by himself - and I know that I personally neither can nor want to.

Steve

April 10th, 2009, 10:46 pm #8

You're doing what you do well and AoA is doing what they do well.

April 10th, 2009, 10:53 pm #9

Steve

April 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm #10

...the GTX-I replacement blade (on the right in this scale drawing). Those were first sold in September 2004.

When the Mk-Is sold out, I then did the same with the GTX-II (shown on the left). That design (which was the one stolen) was sold with only minor (e.g., cosmetic) mod's from early '05, until last week.

Steve

...hint nor smell whatsoever of fish.

That came later - when I realized that only if the technology was available commercially would a significant number of Gamo shooters have access to it, and so went looking for somebody with a website to retail it.

Steve