Update from a previous post (grinder)

Update from a previous post (grinder)

June 30th, 2012, 3:00 am #1

Made from a free air grinder, scrap metal,a new but also free 3/4 hp motor, and a few bolts which I did have to pay for along with the belt. I will need to stock up on 2" belts the one shown is 1 1/2"X60" its pretty simple but has a small roller at the top which could come in handy.

Photo of the donor grinder I reused the tracking roller arm, and the tensioner.

Homebrew model below not including the cost of the belt I'm out maybe $4 bucks if I count the mig wire.
Adjustments back and front as well as the backing plate. I have sharpened an axe with it so far the belt stays on track and the rubber coated plywood drive roller doesn't slip. excuse the poorly lit cell phone photos.

I will need to mount and wire a switch I thought of adding a stand but haven't much floor space so it may stay a table top model just so I can move it out of the way when not needed.

James S

June 30th, 2012, 4:40 am #2

Are there tensioners anywhere..or just a slide in a slot with bolt lock.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

July 1st, 2012, 4:39 am #3

It came from the donor grinder as is, the tension spring is just a heavy piece of straight spring wire I added the T handle bolt to let off or increase tension, . It would be easy to set up for a 72" belt by using a longer rear post. The Frankenstein bolts on the post are used to level the roller.

James S

July 4th, 2012, 3:15 pm #4

U could finish a stock in minutes with that beast.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

July 5th, 2012, 6:53 am #5

Made from a free air grinder, scrap metal,a new but also free 3/4 hp motor, and a few bolts which I did have to pay for along with the belt. I will need to stock up on 2" belts the one shown is 1 1/2"X60" its pretty simple but has a small roller at the top which could come in handy.

Photo of the donor grinder I reused the tracking roller arm, and the tensioner.

Homebrew model below not including the cost of the belt I'm out maybe $4 bucks if I count the mig wire.
Adjustments back and front as well as the backing plate. I have sharpened an axe with it so far the belt stays on track and the rubber coated plywood drive roller doesn't slip. excuse the poorly lit cell phone photos.

I will need to mount and wire a switch I thought of adding a stand but haven't much floor space so it may stay a table top model just so I can move it out of the way when not needed.

James S
Grinder!

ssssSnake