Unusual sound at shot with FX 400

Unusual sound at shot with FX 400

January 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm #1

Occasionally my new FX 400 makes a ricochet sound upon firing. It would be easy to assume that pellets are sometimes clipping, but accuracy is good, and there are no skid marks apparent at muzzle end. Further, the sound seems to be kind of late in shot cycle, about the time of target impact at say 35 yards. It's hard to nail down, but it could be coming from factory shroud. Like air pressure bleeding off. Any thoughts?

January 12th, 2018, 1:02 am #2

Mine squeals every shot I take. It shouldn’t but it does.

January 12th, 2018, 1:17 am #3

Occasionally my new FX 400 makes a ricochet sound upon firing. It would be easy to assume that pellets are sometimes clipping, but accuracy is good, and there are no skid marks apparent at muzzle end. Further, the sound seems to be kind of late in shot cycle, about the time of target impact at say 35 yards. It's hard to nail down, but it could be coming from factory shroud. Like air pressure bleeding off. Any thoughts?
Hi Dwight, My Crown makes a small squeal/ whine/ ricochet sound every shot. I really notice it as I’m shooting out of my window and have only the muzzle sticking out of the window. I’m assuming that it’s a regulator sound since it’s definitely not coming from the muzzle. I don’t notice it when I shoot outside.
And the accuracy is simply incredible so no pellet clipping here.

January 12th, 2018, 1:28 am #4

It is annoying in a minor way, and sometimes I "think" game can hear it (when multiple targets are present). I guess there is no easy fix. Only complaint I have about the gun. I really appreciate the responses.

January 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm #5

My 400 does the same thing towards the end of my shot string. It's the regulator functioning. Some of them squeak, some don't. Some squeak the whole string, some (like mine) only start to squeak at the end of the string.
If it really bugs the heck out of you, you could install another reg and hope it doesn't do the same thing.
You could also try taking your reg out and then put it back in again. it might help alleviate the sound. Possibly add a light coat of silicon grease to the outside. You could also rebuild it but, there's no guarantee that you'd fix the sound and you could screw up your reg and/or your setting if you don't know what your doing.
Personally, I like it. It's a reminder for me that I'm getting close to refill time.

January 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm #6

throughout the fill. I wonder if the power level has any effect on frequency etc. Mine is doing about 850 fps with 18.1 JSB's.

January 12th, 2018, 11:59 pm #7

My Weihrauch HW100 (which is factory regulated) used to do that sometimes if it had sat for a few weeks. Usually quit after a dozen shots or so. Started leaking soon thereafter, but it is an '04 model after all. A teardown and light lube of the washers and orings in the reg would probably fix it. It did on mine.

Or maybe it's an FX thing? Could be since mine only done it after I installed an FX airtube onto it!

....just pulling your leg