TX200 vs R7 at 50yds. *PICS*

TX200 vs R7 at 50yds. *PICS*

May 4th, 2012, 9:43 pm #1

TX200 vs R7 at 50yds muzzle to target.

The following is in no way a "which rifle is better" shoot out. I have not shot for a while so I was curious as to which rifle shot better for me at 50yds fully benched. I also did not keep the magnification the same since I use full power when bench shooting for both rifles and they do not have the same optics.

The rifles and pellets. Chrony groups measured with Comp electronics Prochrono Digital 2ft from muzzle. All pellets weighed to .1gr using RCBS scale.

Beeman R7 fully tuned by Rob Hawkins (Maccari innards).
Bushnell Legend 5-15X40 on 15X
Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
JSB express 7.8gr. 25 shots.
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

TX200, Maccari innards, trigger tuned by Rob Hawkins.
Bushnell elite 4200 6-24X40 on 24X
Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
JSB exacts 8.4gr. 25 shots
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

It was drizzling most of the time with some light rain so I threw up the Ez-up tent. I always wondered if the rain affected the outcome of groups. I am still uncertain but these groups where below average for me by about 10% even though I now have a new trophy group for the TX200 at 50yds. Last one was .49" ctc using FTS 8.6gr pellets back in 2007 and the new one shot today at .454" ctc.
All groups are 5 consecutive shots with one rifle, then 5 consecutive shots with the other rifle until each rifle had five 5 shot groups. Wind flag was used at 20yds. Rifles shot from bench as shown in the picture.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Target #2 of the TX200 reminded me of a discussion I had with someone at work this week and my opinion of how 3 shot groups, again in my opinion, are crap compared to the story told of 5 shot groups. This has been my observation over the past 6 years and over 14000rds down range. Again, just my opinion, I am NOT an expert what so ever. The discussion started with a firearm magazine claiming a guns capability of ½ MOA from the factory. They listed about 7 different types of ammunition and the rifles group size at 100yds. All where 3 shot groups and they averaged just over an inch shooting a 168grain projectile with varying velocities of 2700-3200fps fully benched. I am not impressed at all. One of my continuing arguments on why air rifles are so amazing!
Using TX200 for comparison.
-Velocity is 1/4 that of this and many firearms.
-BC of pellets are no where near as efficient as projectiles from firearms.
-Weight of pellet is 1/20 of that of these bullets.
-Pellet is still in the rifle barrel and going through 2 stages of recoil while a firearm....not so much if at all.
-Dual recoil.

If I was measuring my groups and only shooting 3 shots, than #2 would measure .178 ctc and that would be amazing. Tight 3 shot groups are not abnormal with my shooting style and rifles. Its the 4th and 5th shots that make the story much more realistic and the average group sizes 4X larger.

I can however, with the rising costs of ammunition see where 3 shot groups may be favored, but not to be used to brag about or be written in a magazine as a selling point for a rifle. I can also see 3 shot groups being favor possibly for hunters that may not even shoot 3 shots at their targets before it is dead (hopefully just one).

Would like your opinion on this. Not trying to stir up anything so if I am wrong, please say so without too much heat ;?)

Any ways, the R7 measured an average of 1.146 ctc.
TX200 measured an average of .898 ctc.

The R7 is much harder to place in the rest and of course the optics do not compareat all with the 4200 on 24X. The TX200 has a wider stock which makes bench shooting MUCH easierfor me at least.

Hope you enjoyed. Shoot safe.

greg in WA

May 4th, 2012, 9:59 pm #2

Looks like fun and very informative. Nice to see what the R7 can do against other rifles. Also wil have to compare 5 shot groups compared to 3 shot groups.

May 4th, 2012, 10:36 pm #3

The following is in no way a "which rifle is better" shoot out. I have not shot for a while so I was curious as to which rifle shot better for me at 50yds fully benched. I also did not keep the magnification the same since I use full power when bench shooting for both rifles and they do not have the same optics.

The rifles and pellets. Chrony groups measured with Comp electronics Prochrono Digital 2ft from muzzle. All pellets weighed to .1gr using RCBS scale.

Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

It was drizzling most of the time with some light rain so I threw up the Ez-up tent. I always wondered if the rain affected the outcome of groups. I am still uncertain but these groups where below average for me by about 10% even though I now have a new trophy group for the TX200 at 50yds. Last one was .49" ctc using FTS 8.6gr pellets back in 2007 and the new one shot today at .454" ctc.
All groups are 5 consecutive shots with one rifle, then 5 consecutive shots with the other rifle until each rifle had five 5 shot groups. Wind flag was used at 20yds. Rifles shot from bench as shown in the picture.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Target #2 of the TX200 reminded me of a discussion I had with someone at work this week and my opinion of how 3 shot groups, again in my opinion, are crap compared to the story told of 5 shot groups. This has been my observation over the past 6 years and over 14000rds down range. Again, just my opinion, I am NOT an expert what so ever. The discussion started with a firearm magazine claiming a guns capability of ½ MOA from the factory. They listed about 7 different types of ammunition and the rifles group size at 100yds. All where 3 shot groups and they averaged just over an inch shooting a 168grain projectile with varying velocities of 2700-3200fps fully benched. I am not impressed at all. One of my continuing arguments on why air rifles are so amazing!
-Pellet is still in the rifle barrel and going through 2 stages of recoil while a firearm....not so much if at all.
-Dual recoil.

If I was measuring my groups and only shooting 3 shots, than #2 would measure .178 ctc and that would be amazing. Tight 3 shot groups are not abnormal with my shooting style and rifles. Its the 4th and 5th shots that make the story much more realistic and the average group sizes 4X larger.

I can however, with the rising costs of ammunition see where 3 shot groups may be favored, but not to be used to brag about or be written in a magazine as a selling point for a rifle. I can also see 3 shot groups being favor possibly for hunters that may not even shoot 3 shots at their targets before it is dead (hopefully just one).

Would like your opinion on this. Not trying to stir up anything so if I am wrong, please say so without too much heat ;?)

The R7 is much harder to place in the rest and of course the optics do not compareat all with the 4200 on 24X. The TX200 has a wider stock which makes bench shooting MUCH easierfor me at least.

greg in WA
I am envious !!

May 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm #4

Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

-Dual recoil.

greg in WA
I can't count the 3 and 4 shot miracle groups that have been ruined by the last shot or two. I've never benched the TX and only shoot sitting FT style, but I've noticed as the years go by my small groups are fewer and farther between. For some reason the crosshairs just won't stay steady these days. Maybe a harness or a bench will be my next move to see what these things can really do. The bench is something I'd have to learn because I tired it once and couldn't get any groups to speak of.

May 4th, 2012, 11:55 pm #5

I have shot 5 shot groups with my Ranger 45 tethered, which makes zero sence since it only gets two shot with a 4000 PSI fill, and if a elk stood there for me to refill and shoot two more times and refill again for the 5th shot, I would be hestitant to eat him until the brain was tested for waisting disease.

BPCR I always shot ten shot groups because it was a test of lube.

I often shoot 3 shot groups at 260 to 280 yards becasue of the fickle winds often changing here in the Pacific NW, but in still conditions I prefer 5 shot groups.

At 100 yards and beyond, I often shot 6 shot groups and take the best 5 because I do not sort pellets and the flawed flight pattern of spiral prone Diablo designs when exposed to long range shooting.
Last edited by unrepentantsinner on May 5th, 2012, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2012, 12:09 am #6

Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

-Dual recoil.

greg in WA
I asked here a while back what is a realistic goal when shooting a TX from the bench at 50 yds. Consensus was that one inch group was good. Your results seem to reflect that. That under half-inch group was amazing. Hope to do one of those one day when I am "in the zone" and conditions are perfect.

May 5th, 2012, 1:01 am #7

Tom makes a good point: most high-end guns can "out-shoot the shooter". To me that's wonderful...it means I can always get better with the equipment I have.

About group size, I have more trust in larger samples. Three-shot "groups" (you call that a group?) are useless for most purposes. Ten-shot groups are better than five. If it's a gun's accuracy--not a shooter's capability--being tested, then the gun under test must be tied to a gun rest, so as to eliminate the human factor. Ten-shot groups are also used in benchrest competitions.

May 5th, 2012, 1:13 am #8

Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

-Dual recoil.

greg in WA
Would appreciate a shot of you and your rest technique- I managed a 3" offhand 8 shot group with my R9 and Imagine if I could rest it, the results might be impressive.

May 5th, 2012, 1:14 am #9

Scope rail bubble level
Paul Watts muzzle shroud
Adjustable butt
Max 631fps
Min 616
ES 15
SD 3.58

Scope rail bubble level
Adjustable butt
Max 820
Min 812
ES 8
SD 2.23

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

-Dual recoil.

greg in WA
But, You're making a great argument for PCPs

May 5th, 2012, 3:53 am #10

Tom makes a good point: most high-end guns can "out-shoot the shooter". To me that's wonderful...it means I can always get better with the equipment I have.

About group size, I have more trust in larger samples. Three-shot "groups" (you call that a group?) are useless for most purposes. Ten-shot groups are better than five. If it's a gun's accuracy--not a shooter's capability--being tested, then the gun under test must be tied to a gun rest, so as to eliminate the human factor. Ten-shot groups are also used in benchrest competitions.
Absolutely! NT