TX guys, what is the cause of this

TX guys, what is the cause of this

December 19th, 2010, 2:02 am #1

have any of you replaced the rear piston guide ring? you know, that plastic thing that goes in that groove. i have replaced mine several times. it gets grooved quite badly like someting is cutting it. the grooves run front to rear (or rear to front depending on how you look at things) it is like grit is cutting it but i cannot detect any grit and i have cleaned out the piston very well and the action tube as well. the spring is not shedding pieces either and a delrin tophat is down in the piston so could not be wearing on the inside of the piston and causing grit.

is this normal. I change it pretty often now because it bugs me. perhaps the surface inside the action tube is rough and i should polish it.

wadda ya think?

December 19th, 2010, 2:37 am #2

self lubricating something or another...Works Great! Might wanna touch base with Tom to discuss the grooving.

Regards,

Tony

December 19th, 2010, 5:25 am #3

have any of you replaced the rear piston guide ring? you know, that plastic thing that goes in that groove. i have replaced mine several times. it gets grooved quite badly like someting is cutting it. the grooves run front to rear (or rear to front depending on how you look at things) it is like grit is cutting it but i cannot detect any grit and i have cleaned out the piston very well and the action tube as well. the spring is not shedding pieces either and a delrin tophat is down in the piston so could not be wearing on the inside of the piston and causing grit.

is this normal. I change it pretty often now because it bugs me. perhaps the surface inside the action tube is rough and i should polish it.

wadda ya think?
guys have same issue...they use a temporary sleeve to protect ring at installation in such a way to get ring in avoiding sharp edges,then remove sleeve..some have used a 'shoe horn' sleeve cut from a soda can..

I'll look for link,...this was from another forum..but sounds like an installation issue where ring gets grooved..they all say groove runs front/rear..

Last edited by richwoods on December 19th, 2010, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 19th, 2010, 2:55 pm #4

Larry , does this throw the point of impact off very much?

I was thinking of a FT, in the spring ,and getting a TX.

but if it only shoots well, until the rubber gasket wears out , Then I might reconsider.

December 19th, 2010, 4:07 pm #5

i think the wear on the rear ring may influence accuracy because the piston will not run the same way on every shot. I have gotten some good advice on the diana forum as to the problem. the cocking slot cuts a little groove on every cycle because the piston is designed turns every time you shoot itand a new little groove gets cut. this can be dealt with my dulling the cocking slot inside edges.

if you are asking if an NPSS can be used for Ft i really am not familiar with the gun and its qualities. Of course you can shoot it but i don't know how competative it would be.

December 19th, 2010, 4:41 pm #6

No, you answered my question. I just wasnt sure if the TX was going to lose accuracy over time.

December 19th, 2010, 7:17 pm #7

but it will lose accuracy over time if the wear parts on not stayed on top of. i like to change breach seals pretty often and piston seals if the chrony shows the need.

December 19th, 2010, 7:24 pm #8

Your forgiven, just dont let it happen again.

December 20th, 2010, 12:46 am #9

wadda ya think?
Check for any sharp edges on the cocking slot or at the rear of the action where you insert the piston. You should also check the inside of the action to make sure it is smooth. Some rough spots in the action could cause the wear.

<p>Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net
</p>

December 20th, 2010, 1:41 am #10

i will take steps to take care of it when i get the new part.