Tuning a Daisy Buck

Tuning a Daisy Buck

May 11th, 2012, 6:25 am #1

[/IMG]

Got this Daisy Buck for my son. Spring piston repeater. Smooth bore. 350 FPS.
Surprisingly accurate. Spinning targets at 10 yards off hand 8/10 times.
The barrel is actually short the length of the outer barrel houses both the barrel and the spring piston.

The coking lever is like a crank Sort of like the side lever springers.

Anyway. I peek into the trigger assembly tells me a trigger job is doable. But I'm also planning to polish the surface of the cranking components so the cocking action is smoother, quieter and easier. My son can barely cock the lever as it is.

It's seems questionable to tune a $20 Walmart Daisy Buck. But I've tuned plenty of $20 Chinese guns in my time so why not a Daisy Buck.
For real though I am very impressed w it's accuracy. A nice fiber optic front also.

[/IMG]
Last edited by jcnesqmba on May 11th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2012, 9:11 am #2

My son is 9 months old now and I can't wait til he can start shooting. I already have a Redryder and a model 25 when he ready. Here he is on a rainy day when we went shooting.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers, Jack

May 11th, 2012, 1:19 pm #3

[/IMG]

The barrel is actually short the length of the outer barrel houses both the barrel and the spring piston.

Anyway. I peek into the trigger assembly tells me a trigger job is doable. But I'm also planning to polish the surface of the cranking components so the cocking action is smoother, quieter and easier. My son can barely cock the lever as it is.

It's seems questionable to tune a $20 Walmart Daisy Buck. But I've tuned plenty of $20 Chinese guns in my time so why not a Daisy Buck.
For real though I am very impressed w it's accuracy. A nice fiber optic front also.

[/IMG]
Here,s a safe an easy trigger tune for the buck. Remove rear stock look inside an you will see a spring actucally there,s two. Just remove the one closest to you an leave the other one alone. That will cut the trigger pull in half an still leave you with a safe trigger. Pretty accurate at close range an fun. All my bb-shooters like the daisy bb,s better then crossman. Enjoy

May 11th, 2012, 6:20 pm #4

My friends ask me all the time "why do you mess with that cheep/junk gun"
I also buy unwanted 22lr. especially the broken or poor shooters.

Its just fun and its "because I can" thing. I say do it

May 11th, 2012, 9:37 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I don't know much about tuning a Daisy Buck but I have been reading about using good bbs helps in bb guns. Those Daisy Avanti silver bbs are good bbs and I use them in my action pistols too. I saw one guy reccomend spraying them with Krytech bicycle chain lube too. Supposed to help accuracy a little more. I haven't tried that yet but aim too.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

May 12th, 2012, 5:17 am #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
these are great little beginners guns for kids. they actually replaced the old daisy 102-36 which was introduced in 1936 and is still being produced today as the buck. that click mechanism keeps the lever from slamming shut if it slips out of a little hand. the trigggers (designed by lawyers of course) can be smoothed up but removing that spring ed talks about works wonders. the more the gun is shot the smoother it'll be so i don't know that i would even mess with it. shooting good bb's (daisys, not crosmans) helps too. i've mic'ed quite a few and the crosmans always are about .002 smaller than the daisys so they don't shoot as well in any of mine. i've also chronied these and it'll do somewhere around 250-275 fps. daisy does just like most airgunners and blows up the power level. when the power starts to drop off a little, i usually lube mine around every 500 shots, just drop a couple of drops on the lever pin, trigger, and in the little hole on the barrel about six drops, let it stand on the muzzle about an hour so the oil gets down the spring to the seals. be SURE you use only 30wt. NON detergent motor oil as the lube. detergent oil will dissolve the rubber seals, but non detergent won't. i've used it on all mine over 50 years.

May 13th, 2012, 12:51 am #7

My son is 9 months old now and I can't wait til he can start shooting. I already have a Redryder and a model 25 when he ready. Here he is on a rainy day when we went shooting.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers, Jack
for the longest time I couldnt get him to shoulder the rifle correctly. The LOP might be a little long for him but finally he shouldering and aiming in a way that doesn't look so awkward. Haha
Thanks and you'll have a great time shooting w your boy when he is of age.
One of the things I want to make sure I pass along to my son is marksmanship.

May 13th, 2012, 12:54 am #8

My friends ask me all the time "why do you mess with that cheep/junk gun"
I also buy unwanted 22lr. especially the broken or poor shooters.

Its just fun and its "because I can" thing. I say do it
Nt.

May 13th, 2012, 12:56 am #9

these are great little beginners guns for kids. they actually replaced the old daisy 102-36 which was introduced in 1936 and is still being produced today as the buck. that click mechanism keeps the lever from slamming shut if it slips out of a little hand. the trigggers (designed by lawyers of course) can be smoothed up but removing that spring ed talks about works wonders. the more the gun is shot the smoother it'll be so i don't know that i would even mess with it. shooting good bb's (daisys, not crosmans) helps too. i've mic'ed quite a few and the crosmans always are about .002 smaller than the daisys so they don't shoot as well in any of mine. i've also chronied these and it'll do somewhere around 250-275 fps. daisy does just like most airgunners and blows up the power level. when the power starts to drop off a little, i usually lube mine around every 500 shots, just drop a couple of drops on the lever pin, trigger, and in the little hole on the barrel about six drops, let it stand on the muzzle about an hour so the oil gets down the spring to the seals. be SURE you use only 30wt. NON detergent motor oil as the lube. detergent oil will dissolve the rubber seals, but non detergent won't. i've used it on all mine over 50 years.
I've been leaving the gun cocked overnight to soften up the spring. My boy has award time cocking the Rifle.

May 13th, 2012, 12:59 am #10

I don't know much about tuning a Daisy Buck but I have been reading about using good bbs helps in bb guns. Those Daisy Avanti silver bbs are good bbs and I use them in my action pistols too. I saw one guy reccomend spraying them with Krytech bicycle chain lube too. Supposed to help accuracy a little more. I haven't tried that yet but aim too.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.
I think the lead ones will work well and bounce less.