Toxic boss syndrome...

Toxic boss syndrome...

May 20th, 2012, 10:50 am #1

They recently promoted a lady at work to manager. This woman has become one of the most vile human beings I've ever met. Only reason she got the job was to serve as backfill for another manager who was promoted. She'd never even supervised people before and we could tell right away that she could hardly 'manage' to make herself a sandwich. Her departments haven't made their monthly goals once in the year she's been in the position, and somehow it's always her direct reports' fault. She rips 'em up one side and down the other and has been reported to HR for her abusive behavior by every one of them. It's been a horror movie for these poor folks. Unfortunately, the guy who promoted her is protecting her, not wanting to look bad for puting her into the position.

One of the supervisors under her, a guy I've worked with for 26 years who used to report to me, has gone from a model employee to one who recently told me, "Screw it. As long as she's here I'm just gonna do the minimum to keep my job." He rarely took a day off previously but has been out on medical leave for a total of two months in the past year. Another guy who's going to retire shortly went out on medical six months ago and is milking it until his retirement date.

The other day, someone found this article and placed a bunch of copies around this lady's departments. I'm sure she's wanting to find out who did it so she can write them up (one of her favorite activities) for distributing non-company approved literature...

http://bigpictureconnections.com/how-to ... oxic-boss/

It's really sad that some companies still don't see that "terror management" is bad for buisiness. Several places I'm familiar with not only tolerate it, but encourage it. It may have worked 75 years ago but today, not so much.

May 20th, 2012, 3:38 pm #2

We moved to another state to be closer to her parents, which she took a job and I left mine behind. Greatfully, we will be moving to D.C. as my new career endeavors have come to fruition, of that, her parents were fully made aware of this long before we moved here.

Anyway, my wife took a job at one of the many hospitals here in an administrative position, neurology department. Not a too important position in regards to the overall function of the hospital, but a nice office-type position that is supposed to be relaxed, so she thought. A position well below her pay grade if you will.

When the catty office women, and supervisor got wind that my wife has about 1-2 years of her residency left of a 5 year term to be a neurosurgeon, yep, neurosurgeon, the office people flipped out. The supervisor sent an email to all the people in the office conspiring that my wife is there to take the supervisory job, why else would she be there for 13 bucks and hour. Well, the idiot woman sent the email to everyone - including my wife! Oops!

My wife ignored the email, but wanted to talk about it with me when she got home. Her feelings were hurt. During the course of a month and a half, the office employees and supervisor have been the most nasty people she has ever encountered. She hears the gossip, treatment is poor, etc. One issue that has already put the employees on edge is that the office was private, but was recently bought out/merged with the hospital. Of that, my wife's supervisor never interviewed her - it was the medical board of the hospital. It turns out the board never discussed anything with the department supervisor other than saying "we have hired a person for the position", that's 'bout it.

All this combined with the serious HIPAA violations of the office, she has been getting poor treatment. All the violations my wife has documented. One such violation came to her attention when it was her turn to take hundreds of medical records to a doctor. She was instructed to take this unsecure bag of records to the parking garage, find a truck with a certain tag number, put the records in the seat, and return to the office. This is a SERIOUS violation that could get the department shut down and fined to oblivion. My wife simply said "...no, I will not do that. I will give the records directly to the doctor and he can sign off on them himself as he takes custody of the records..." She wasn't being rude, she actually thought she was being tested in a way to see how she would respond. A few minutes later, the doctor's own secretary stormed in and litterally swore my wife into to tears claiming she didn't know sh!t about fuc&*9^ medical records or HIPAA.... My wife took the rest of the day off and came home to cry on me. Bitches.

All the while she has documented the serious violations, which there are many more, her treatment, how the supervisor improperly monitors the use of employee days to certain people by fluffing the numbers, etc. The office is going to be in serious trouble when we move away...

Human resources has been of absolutely no help. In fact, the HR supervisor is very good friends with my wife's supervisor and stated "she would look into it. It is a mess there.

Sorry you too have a similar issue. Destroys the workplace. Some people do not get the fact that we give 33% of our lives, or more, to our jobs. A dirty 33% can ruin the remaining 66% of our lives.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
Last edited by Duane30 on May 20th, 2012, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 20th, 2012, 4:27 pm #3

They recently promoted a lady at work to manager. This woman has become one of the most vile human beings I've ever met. Only reason she got the job was to serve as backfill for another manager who was promoted. She'd never even supervised people before and we could tell right away that she could hardly 'manage' to make herself a sandwich. Her departments haven't made their monthly goals once in the year she's been in the position, and somehow it's always her direct reports' fault. She rips 'em up one side and down the other and has been reported to HR for her abusive behavior by every one of them. It's been a horror movie for these poor folks. Unfortunately, the guy who promoted her is protecting her, not wanting to look bad for puting her into the position.

One of the supervisors under her, a guy I've worked with for 26 years who used to report to me, has gone from a model employee to one who recently told me, "Screw it. As long as she's here I'm just gonna do the minimum to keep my job." He rarely took a day off previously but has been out on medical leave for a total of two months in the past year. Another guy who's going to retire shortly went out on medical six months ago and is milking it until his retirement date.

The other day, someone found this article and placed a bunch of copies around this lady's departments. I'm sure she's wanting to find out who did it so she can write them up (one of her favorite activities) for distributing non-company approved literature...

It's really sad that some companies still don't see that "terror management" is bad for buisiness. Several places I'm familiar with not only tolerate it, but encourage it. It may have worked 75 years ago but today, not so much.
Many times, people are promoted because they were good at fighting fires. They were the folks people called on to put in quick fixes that mostly failed because they didn't resolve the root cause - they merely addressed the symptom and masked things for a while. These people generally lack altitude - the ability to see the big picture and navigate a path to resolution. They are many times controling personalities - do this by this date. They lack emotional intelligence - how to manage people. When the screws get tightened, they resort to what they know best, more controlling. This disengages folks because they feel they have no say in matters - no ability to influence decisions. My company is full of them.

I manage a department and have 13 direct reports at present. My engagemet scores for supervision were all 10 out of 10 for all 13 people. Yet no one acknowledged this as it isn't seen as important as being able to put out fires and order folks around. Participative leadership is a dying art.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

May 20th, 2012, 5:08 pm #4

have a nice day
Last edited by ralphy101again on May 20th, 2012, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, 2012, 11:59 am #5

We moved to another state to be closer to her parents, which she took a job and I left mine behind. Greatfully, we will be moving to D.C. as my new career endeavors have come to fruition, of that, her parents were fully made aware of this long before we moved here.

Anyway, my wife took a job at one of the many hospitals here in an administrative position, neurology department. Not a too important position in regards to the overall function of the hospital, but a nice office-type position that is supposed to be relaxed, so she thought. A position well below her pay grade if you will.

When the catty office women, and supervisor got wind that my wife has about 1-2 years of her residency left of a 5 year term to be a neurosurgeon, yep, neurosurgeon, the office people flipped out. The supervisor sent an email to all the people in the office conspiring that my wife is there to take the supervisory job, why else would she be there for 13 bucks and hour. Well, the idiot woman sent the email to everyone - including my wife! Oops!

My wife ignored the email, but wanted to talk about it with me when she got home. Her feelings were hurt. During the course of a month and a half, the office employees and supervisor have been the most nasty people she has ever encountered. She hears the gossip, treatment is poor, etc. One issue that has already put the employees on edge is that the office was private, but was recently bought out/merged with the hospital. Of that, my wife's supervisor never interviewed her - it was the medical board of the hospital. It turns out the board never discussed anything with the department supervisor other than saying "we have hired a person for the position", that's 'bout it.

All this combined with the serious HIPAA violations of the office, she has been getting poor treatment. All the violations my wife has documented. One such violation came to her attention when it was her turn to take hundreds of medical records to a doctor. She was instructed to take this unsecure bag of records to the parking garage, find a truck with a certain tag number, put the records in the seat, and return to the office. This is a SERIOUS violation that could get the department shut down and fined to oblivion. My wife simply said "...no, I will not do that. I will give the records directly to the doctor and he can sign off on them himself as he takes custody of the records..." She wasn't being rude, she actually thought she was being tested in a way to see how she would respond. A few minutes later, the doctor's own secretary stormed in and litterally swore my wife into to tears claiming she didn't know sh!t about fuc&*9^ medical records or HIPAA.... My wife took the rest of the day off and came home to cry on me. Bitches.

All the while she has documented the serious violations, which there are many more, her treatment, how the supervisor improperly monitors the use of employee days to certain people by fluffing the numbers, etc. The office is going to be in serious trouble when we move away...

Human resources has been of absolutely no help. In fact, the HR supervisor is very good friends with my wife's supervisor and stated "she would look into it. It is a mess there.

Sorry you too have a similar issue. Destroys the workplace. Some people do not get the fact that we give 33% of our lives, or more, to our jobs. A dirty 33% can ruin the remaining 66% of our lives.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
One of the guys reporting to our new manager was nearly fired because he stepped over a red 'caution' ribbon. All it was there for was because of wet paint in the area. She wanted to push for strict enforcement of a safety rule stating that anyone entering a taped-off construction zone without permission will be terminated.

Only thing that saved him was a supervisor coming to his rescue. He told H/R that if anyone was to be fired it should be him; he told the guy it was okay to cross the tape because the paint had been dry FOR TWO DAYS.

Unfrigginbelievable...

May 22nd, 2012, 1:20 pm #6

more the rule than the exception ....didnt use to be that way though and i am only fifty . a lot of real serios self centered folks out there and i am all the time surprised how young many of them are
"somebody has to take the high road..."

May 22nd, 2012, 4:10 pm #7

I may be dealing with that in the future. I work for a small architectural firm. Its the owner, a guy that's been with him 25 years, myself(7 yrs), and two other guys who have been there about 5-6 years. I have nearly 20 years of experience, a masters degree in architecture, and am taking the ARE. I have asked my boss for advancement and basically told sorry but no. Another guy has done the same and received the same response.

Then, about 2 years ago the boss hires his youngest daughter(30ish) while her husband goes to law school. She has an unrelated degree, art, but that has not stopped her from getting her own furnished office, not required to hand in time sheets, has virtually unlimited vacation, is not required to be in the office(sets her own schedule), recently was given a new BMW company car, and is in the position of construction project manager, yet has never been trained in this area. She gets to do work that the expereienced guys like myself must beg for, yet is not required to do any grunt work like the rest of the office does, mainly because she is not skilled to do it but could learn, just not required to. Any other intern level employee would never even get in the door if they did not know how to do this basic stuff, but she has avoided it. She has on occasions requested work be done and given to her from the staff and given time limits as well. Luckily I have not had this brought down on me, yet.

My fear is that my boss is setting her up to take over the company since he is 60 and may be thinking of retiring in a few years. I know for a fact that if this happens I will be looking elswhere for employment.