Tough setup!

Tough setup!

April 14th, 2012, 6:08 pm #1

I'm working on a shroud bushing. I want to flute the half on the right in the picture and then part it off.

I've been eager to try the new rotary table. It is tough to setup! I've fooled around with it for about an hour and I'm not satisfied with the setup although it's not too bad. I'm going to start over some other time, probably next weekend. I'm out of maching time for this week.

Last edited by bigbore on April 14th, 2012, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2012, 12:10 am #2

I had to try the rotary table.

I made the second of 3 pieces. This bushing will slip onto the muzzle and let HPA pass to the rear of the shroud. The symmetry was much better than my first attempt, which wasn't bad but was done by eye.

I have to make the rear end piece, drill set screw holes to hold the parts in place, assemble and paint.

April 16th, 2012, 5:40 pm #3

I'm working on a shroud bushing. I want to flute the half on the right in the picture and then part it off.

I've been eager to try the new rotary table. It is tough to setup! I've fooled around with it for about an hour and I'm not satisfied with the setup although it's not too bad. I'm going to start over some other time, probably next weekend. I'm out of maching time for this week.

Now I have to complete the assembly and test.

Drilling the chamber vent holes:

Parts and unsecured assembly:

April 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm #4

I sure do like to watch other's projects develope. Making things is the best satisfaction one can have in my opinion.

April 16th, 2012, 10:16 pm #5

I learned a lot and have aquired valuable experience. I don't seem to need to invent things to do either, I have projects queued up waiting for spare time.

I enjoy making the parts but I'm equally anxious to reap the rewards of my labor. I've desired to modify my airguns with machining equipment for years and as you said, it's very satisfying. My biggest challenge is having the patience to setup the equipment properly and be precise and thorough as I work. When you're dying to slip the shroud on and see if it works it's tempting to rush or take short cuts.

April 17th, 2012, 4:07 pm #6

I'd decided to put off getting a rotary table for now, and you have to go and post this stuff! Now I have to decide between the rotab or a new 4 jaw chuck for the lathe, need both but can only (maybe!) afford one right now.

BTW, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to rush. But my biggest problem is brain farts when I'm laying out or measuring a location on a part, I find it too easy to put the decimal point in the wrong place. To make matters worse, I find that the older I get, the more dyslexic I get. Like my wife's dad used to day, getting old ain't for sissies ! Later.

Dave

April 17th, 2012, 4:25 pm #7

I have a little over $300 + MAJOR headaches into the rotarty table with chuck and misc. mounting hardware. LMS sell a complete kit for about $360 + shipping minus the headaches IIRC.

You are going to need a chuck for the rotary table. I have a 3", 4 independent jaw chuck for mine. If you can select a chuck to fit your lathe and then fit on a rotary table you may buy in the future, it will probably well worth the time spent researching it. I had to custom drill the face plate to mate the chuck to the table, changing the bolt pattern from 3 bolt to 4 so mating any chuck to a table is doable if you are up to the project.