Top FT Rifle

Top FT Rifle

January 12th, 2011, 11:40 am #1

Is it Mac 1 US FT, Air Arms EV2, A Daystate and witch one, or can the air arms S400 MPR FT hold its own ?

January 12th, 2011, 4:32 pm #2

Look at the past Nationals equipment list on the AAFTA web site. You'll probably see a trend of proven equipment that has been consistently winning for several years. There's definitely more than one rifle out there that's capable of winning, but your chances will be much better if you choose a proven design.

Personally, I prefer my USFT / Leupold Competition 35x combo for the open PCP division. When it comes to WFTF Division, I prefer either my EV2 or my Steyr. For Piston Division I prefer my Whiscombe JW-65 MKII. There are certainly a bunch of other rifles that are capable of winning, but you'll have to find which one fits you best and suites the needs of a particular division. Is one better than the other? Well, that will depend on which one that YOU shoot the best.

Take care,

Harold
Harold Rushton

January 12th, 2011, 4:36 pm #3

Is it Mac 1 US FT, Air Arms EV2, A Daystate and witch one, or can the air arms S400 MPR FT hold its own ?
Harold will beat you regardless of what rifle you choose.

January 12th, 2011, 4:40 pm #4

Harold Rushton has won the Nationals the past 2 years with a USFT.

The EV2 is a sub 12fpe rifle and better suited for WFTF Class but personally I prefer the Steyr LG110 FT over the EV2(I had 2 EV2 MKIIs and still have the Steyr).

The MPR FT is nice, I owned the Factory Prototype Rifle and an S400 ERB in an MPR FT Stock. Good Guns but personally if wanting "the best" for Open Class use, I prefer my USFTs.

The USFT is the only rifle, that I can think of, perhaps there are others, that was Designed and Built from scratch for Open Class Field Target in the U.S. It comes with an adjustable Knee Riser, Thigh Pod, Butt Hook and is built massively for reliabilty and performance. They also are tested for accuracy at 51 yards, target shipped with your gun.

Other guns are based on either a Sporter Rifle's Action or a 10M Rifle that's suddenly bumped up to Full Power use in uncontrolled conditions and temperatures in the field, or a gun designed to perform optimally at sub 12fpe and the U.K./European markets.

That said, nothing wrong with picking the gun you like and shooting it and enjoying it, everybody's tastes are different.

But since you said Top FT Rifle, here in the U.S. for Open Class use, I like and use the USFT.

Regards,

Tony

January 12th, 2011, 4:40 pm #5

Harold will beat you regardless of what rifle you choose.

January 12th, 2011, 5:25 pm #6

Lots of good input already given above... Several months back I was wondering the same thing... I pulled together all of the historical nationals since 1999. This shouldnt be end all part of the decision making process to choose a new gun anyway... Just data. So use as you will.

There are so many guns that can do the job. Choose a rifle and scope combo that YOU WANT and learn as much as you can. There are soooooo many good folks around that are willing to offer tips and help.

Something else you may want to consider is the filling options that are available to you... If you have plenty of available places to charge your equipment, Scuba tank (limited to 3500psi), Carbon fiber (4500 psi). Not all places can or some are not willing to charge to 4500 so just check for those options first so you have a way to get air. I would review your options for air first! Also consider the filling equipment into your budget if you dont already have that addressed..??

[/IMG]

January 12th, 2011, 8:04 pm #7

Williamsons Steyr started life as a ZM but after all the mods performed I'd say it would be a WW Steyr in Warrens case.
'05 2nd place by tie breaker was also US FT #19. I think Pauls gun is #67 for the '07 Chamionship & Worlds.
Other than that you have nailed it.
In 2005 CASA's Cal State team set the high mark for teams and then reset the high mark in 2006 in CT.
It was really great this year to see a combo of North and South CA shooters win the Team title and Harold to carry on with his success.

Good Work. Dozen FT years in a flash. I'll take 4 out of 6 Nats plus a worlds.
My Dream coming true is what your looking at. I've never worked so hard in all my life but it was worth every minute. Now I'm a Championship junkie and I need another fix. Thanks to all that have made this possible.
In '02 when Steve Shulz won with the LD SS he was tied with Bob Winer who put down the wrong target and lost the Championship to Steve Shooting LD SS #2.
I've been so lucky and without that I would have really screwed myself. Thanks to LD for helping me make my luck/dreams come true. More to come.

"NO GUNS WOULD BE A RIOT"

Later

Tim
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Times New Roman">
Mac1 Airgun
</font>

January 12th, 2011, 8:45 pm #8

Thanks to all . Just about what I figured .

January 12th, 2011, 8:50 pm #9

Lots of good input already given above... Several months back I was wondering the same thing... I pulled together all of the historical nationals since 1999. This shouldnt be end all part of the decision making process to choose a new gun anyway... Just data. So use as you will.

There are so many guns that can do the job. Choose a rifle and scope combo that YOU WANT and learn as much as you can. There are soooooo many good folks around that are willing to offer tips and help.

Something else you may want to consider is the filling options that are available to you... If you have plenty of available places to charge your equipment, Scuba tank (limited to 3500psi), Carbon fiber (4500 psi). Not all places can or some are not willing to charge to 4500 so just check for those options first so you have a way to get air. I would review your options for air first! Also consider the filling equipment into your budget if you dont already have that addressed..??

[/IMG]
Now --- can a 22 be competitive with the 177 ? If I am spending 2,000 ++ I wood like to shoot bench with it also . Do you think 1 rifle can do both ?

January 12th, 2011, 9:05 pm #10

[/IMG]
in one place like you did. Very nicely done.

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com