Decided to work today to make up for a sick day, so at the shop, after getting the CNC Lathe running with the parts, I started working on my scope mount.
I recently got a Burris mini 4x plex scope to put on a project R1k that I've been rebuilding. Wanted to try an old school, light, scope, and to mate it I mounted it in old Burris metal rings. Those are made for .22's and air rifles and very nicely matched the scope.
The only problem was that it didn't have recoil pin, and the scope moved a few times even after degreasing the dovetails and tightening the mounts well.
I was going to add another scope stop but I didn't have one that fit under the mounts so I just decided to drill one mount for a pin.
I had just gotten a nice BKL stop, and they put a .160 dia. pin in there but it's a socket head set screw with a turned down dog on it. I didn't have room for threads as there is a screw that goes from side to side in the middle of the mount so I did the next best thing and maybe better. I just drilled a .160 hole from bottom to top, coming out in middle of ring towards the rear. It's about .04 from rear wall of mount to wall of hole, but it's in steel so I don't think it will give problems there.
For the pin, I just grabbed an old socket head bolt, (Almost all socket head black oxide steel bolts are grade eight steel and very strong) something like 3/16 bolt by 1" long, chucked on the head, and turned down the threaded shaft until just over .160" then polished it a bit. I left part of it about a .001 larger to press fit. I cut it .625 long to give it enough engagement that I could then sand off until it was just right.
This turned out great, gave new useful life to a nice set of mounts now capable of magnum recoil. You wouldn't even know it's got a pin without careful looking, when mounted and if it breaks or needs replaced, you can just use a pin punch to drift it out easily. Make a new one to fit another sized hole, make it steped or whatever floats your boat.
Just thought this might interest some of you as a quick, easy project that's very useful.
Wow that's a cool project. Not to complicated and very useful. Wonder why nobody has posted anything. Good job!
A picture would be nice.