The US Military Wants To 'Microchip' Troops...

The US Military Wants To 'Microchip' Troops...

May 6th, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

Would this action represent a real advantage for our Troops?

The US Military Wants To 'Microchip' Troops

Robert Johnson May 6, 2012, 8:20 AM

DARPA is at it again. This time, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has announced plans to create nanochips for monitoring troops health on the battlefield.

Kate Knibbs at Mobiledia reports the sensors are targeted at preventing illness and disease, the two causes of most troops medical evacuations.

What seems like a simple way of cutting costs and increasing efficiency has some people concerned that this is the first step in a "computer chips for all" scenario.

Bob Unruh at WND reports one of those opponents, Katherine Albrecht, co-author of Spychips says Its never going to happen that the government at gunpoint says, Youre going to have a tracking chip. Its always in incremental steps. If you can put a microchip in someone that doesnt track them everybody looks and says, Come on, itll be interesting seeing where we go.'

From WND:

She said it was expected that captive audiences, such as prisoners and troops, would be the first subjected to the requirement, which would make it easier for the general populace to accept it as well. Its interesting, she said. Im stunned how this younger generation is OK. They dont see the problem. Why wouldnt everyone want to be tracked?

But she said Americans will have to decide to say no to incremental advances, or by the time officials finally roll out the idea of chips for all, whether they want them or not, it will be too late to decide. The analogy that I draw is [that of a train], and if Im in California and I do not want to wind up in New City, every stop brings me closer, she said. At some point I have to get off the train.

DARPA is calling the effort "a truly disruptive innovation," that could help the U.S. fight healthier and more efficiently than its adversaries.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-m ... ops-2012-5

May 6th, 2012, 3:31 pm #2

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on May 6th, 2012, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm #3

DARPA is at it again. This time, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has announced plans to create nanochips for monitoring troops health on the battlefield.

Kate Knibbs at Mobiledia reports the sensors are targeted at preventing illness and disease, the two causes of most troops medical evacuations.

What seems like a simple way of cutting costs and increasing efficiency has some people concerned that this is the first step in a "computer chips for all" scenario.

Bob Unruh at WND reports one of those opponents, Katherine Albrecht, co-author of Spychips says Its never going to happen that the government at gunpoint says, Youre going to have a tracking chip. Its always in incremental steps. If you can put a microchip in someone that doesnt track them everybody looks and says, Come on, itll be interesting seeing where we go.'

From WND:

She said it was expected that captive audiences, such as prisoners and troops, would be the first subjected to the requirement, which would make it easier for the general populace to accept it as well. Its interesting, she said. Im stunned how this younger generation is OK. They dont see the problem. Why wouldnt everyone want to be tracked?

But she said Americans will have to decide to say no to incremental advances, or by the time officials finally roll out the idea of chips for all, whether they want them or not, it will be too late to decide. The analogy that I draw is [that of a train], and if Im in California and I do not want to wind up in New City, every stop brings me closer, she said. At some point I have to get off the train.

DARPA is calling the effort "a truly disruptive innovation," that could help the U.S. fight healthier and more efficiently than its adversaries.

Since this is not a matter of politics as some would snidely imply, As the Military is comprised of members of all political persuasions, And not a political entity in the sense of party affiliation.
So, Does anyone think this is an asset for our Troops that could save lives or, Are Military Officials prevaricating about the intent of this proposal.

May 6th, 2012, 11:06 pm #4

Befote this thread closes...

IMHO there's nothing better than a field medic to take care of the troops.

What good is the chip in the middle of a firefight? What will save lives will be the quick ssesment and attention the warrior gets when wounded in battle.

Later the'yll want to implant chips in every person for their "safety"

Sick 'em Hoff!!!

May 7th, 2012, 12:01 am #5

From WND:

World Net Daily? Give me a break...

May 7th, 2012, 12:22 am #6

...the fact that veterans are one of the fastest growing groups of people to have mental disorders, unemployment, and homelessnes? Crying shame it is.

Interesting study the above is. Being a soldier (the teachings) must exclude how to provide for the self post-military life. Many (most perhaps) soldiers are young enough to where they have never had the chance to find themselves before entering in on duty (our very young people).

Chip? Sure, why not. As long as it is REMOVED following the end of the indivduals' service to their country.

Do I like the idea? Most certainly not. Not in a million years!!!!

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 7th, 2012, 12:25 am #7

Befote this thread closes...

IMHO there's nothing better than a field medic to take care of the troops.

What good is the chip in the middle of a firefight? What will save lives will be the quick ssesment and attention the warrior gets when wounded in battle.

Later the'yll want to implant chips in every person for their "safety"

Sick 'em Hoff!!!
How about for locating captured Troops?
Real time Troop Monitoring?

May 7th, 2012, 12:31 am #8

...the fact that veterans are one of the fastest growing groups of people to have mental disorders, unemployment, and homelessnes? Crying shame it is.

Interesting study the above is. Being a soldier (the teachings) must exclude how to provide for the self post-military life. Many (most perhaps) soldiers are young enough to where they have never had the chance to find themselves before entering in on duty (our very young people).

Chip? Sure, why not. As long as it is REMOVED following the end of the indivduals' service to their country.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
In a decade or two in body diagnostics will become the norm, and not the exception. Looking back then, I suspect most will wonder what all the fuss was about...

Just personal opinion of course,
Paul

May 7th, 2012, 12:35 am #9

Disorders.
Do you have a source for those facts?
The active Military represents ~2% of the population in the US.
How does the number of mental disorders in the Military, Compare with the number of mental disorders in the general population?

May 7th, 2012, 12:38 am #10

In a decade or two in body diagnostics will become the norm, and not the exception. Looking back then, I suspect most will wonder what all the fuss was about...

Just personal opinion of course,
Paul
I can see it now.
System shutting down in 10...9...8...7...