The toughest airgun hunting I have ever done

The toughest airgun hunting I have ever done

April 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm #1

I've hunted with my airguns for 40 years now. The last few years I have became a paper puncher and enjoy all the animals I have seen in my yard, Bobcat, wild turkey and some type of pigeons the size of chicken and even the southern california flea bag ground squirrel. I gave them all a pass.
But the gophers are my new sport. Its so bad that my dogs will fall in a tunnel and sprain a leg when running in the yard. Lucky I work at home in the shop and have an elevated view of the lower level. I've found the mornings to be the best activity time. I've got a spotting scope and Rapid .22 30 ftlbs set up on bags all the time ready to go. I pan the area frequently and watch for movement. I swear its just like the cartoons. There will be a little weed or grass start to twitch and then suck done into the ground. When the hole starts to get bigger you see some fresh dirt come up and eventually he pops his head up. You've got to be fast and ready.
I rarely get a full head shot. They are quick. Its sort of a mini version of praire dogging. Only these buggers dont sit pretty for you. And the slow pace may just be the best thing for my health. I havent had a day off in months but this sure is relaxing. I can get one or two a day. but the smile last all day.

April 7th, 2012, 6:31 pm #2

hell on them. That cat taught me about patience. She would sit staring at a gopher hole for hours. Eventually she would come back with a gopher and a "grin". She brought her trophies back to show off. I admiore your patience; good luck with gopher safari.
Kenny

April 7th, 2012, 6:51 pm #3

I've hunted with my airguns for 40 years now. The last few years I have became a paper puncher and enjoy all the animals I have seen in my yard, Bobcat, wild turkey and some type of pigeons the size of chicken and even the southern california flea bag ground squirrel. I gave them all a pass.
But the gophers are my new sport. Its so bad that my dogs will fall in a tunnel and sprain a leg when running in the yard. Lucky I work at home in the shop and have an elevated view of the lower level. I've found the mornings to be the best activity time. I've got a spotting scope and Rapid .22 30 ftlbs set up on bags all the time ready to go. I pan the area frequently and watch for movement. I swear its just like the cartoons. There will be a little weed or grass start to twitch and then suck done into the ground. When the hole starts to get bigger you see some fresh dirt come up and eventually he pops his head up. You've got to be fast and ready.
I rarely get a full head shot. They are quick. Its sort of a mini version of praire dogging. Only these buggers dont sit pretty for you. And the slow pace may just be the best thing for my health. I havent had a day off in months but this sure is relaxing. I can get one or two a day. but the smile last all day.
Chip, We have a lot of gophers too, but I almost never seen them active. However, I did catch some dirt flying about three weeks ago, and went and grabbed the old B-26 thumbhole. Darned if that scamp didn't pop his head out to admire his destruction and I was lucky enough to earhole him. That was a .177. Now that I have a Marauder in .25, the gophers are in more trouble than they've been in for years.

April 7th, 2012, 8:29 pm #4

April 7th, 2012, 8:48 pm #5

The chipmunks are the most destructive critters around my house, They sound just as bad.
Last edited by tbln930 on April 7th, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2012, 10:43 pm #6

Is a gopher what some of us in the east call a woodchuck?

I have huge leg-breaking holes in my yard as well but I haven't had a clean shot yet this year. Last year I saw him and he turned out to be a her...with four cute little babies. Frankly, I didn't have the heart to shoot any of them at that point and now I'm paying for it.

HW3

April 7th, 2012, 11:23 pm #7

of their life underground ! Can't Stand the little B@$T@rd$ !!! They are hard to hunt because the shot rarely if ever presents itself. *=^O

http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/jun/papr/gopher.html

Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks and Marmots are a treat by comparison......At this stage I'm training a pack of Mongrel Rabid Ferrets with tiny little shock collars ! 8^=

April 7th, 2012, 11:45 pm #8

Trapping is way more effective than trying to get them to expose themselves for a shot - which they rarely do. Usually if I set a trap on a freshly dug tunnel, I have a dead gopher in under two hours.

HW3

April 8th, 2012, 12:34 am #9

and I'm really, REALLY Pissed ! O=^D)))))))))))))))))00000000000000 LOL.

EDIT: Spallung
Last edited by HW3 on April 8th, 2012, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 3:18 am #10

I would use my Career 300 and Crow Magnums. Those pellets suck past 30 yards. But the Career was so powerful when the gopher was hit with the crow magnum it would literally lift them out of the hole when shot.

That was cool

Adam in SoCal
AKA WalkOnKing
http://www.airgunartisans.com/AAAdamVigil.htm
http://www.talonairgun.com