The power has completely gone on my rifle

The power has completely gone on my rifle

October 26th, 2006, 11:26 pm #1

It still shoots but sometimes it won't.
also the powers alot lower

even more bad news is that my A.S.O scope's red dots gone how can i get it back? like the battery. could i posibbly take it to bass pro?

Oliver
Last edited by roran1234 on October 26th, 2006, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 27th, 2006, 12:22 am #2

shooting your homemade ammo and who knows what, you have probably screwed something up. So my suggestion is take it back where you got it.

October 27th, 2006, 12:50 pm #3

nt

October 27th, 2006, 3:24 pm #4

even more bad news is that my A.S.O scope's red dots gone how can i get it back? like the battery. could i posibbly take it to bass pro?

Oliver
With all due respect, I don't think I've ever run across a person with more tales of woe.
* You write, "It still shoots but sometimes it won't." - That doesn't give anyone a clue as to what might be wrong. It's like saying, "My car starts, but sometimes it won't" to a mechanic and expecting him to respond on how to repair it.
* You write, "also the powers alot lower" - How much is "a lot"? What have you been doing as far as maintenance? If the frankenpellet experiments are any indication of how you've treated the gun, it's probably hosed due to abuse.
* You write; "even more bad news is that my A.S.O scope's red dots gone how can i get it back?" - It just vanished? Do you mean that it won't light up? Did you check the battery? You can probably "get it back" buy replacing the battery.
Jack

October 27th, 2006, 4:17 pm #5

Oliver
When you shoot it now, does it twang/rattle a lot more than when it was shooting well? Maybe you've got a broken spring? That would certainly account for the lower power. If you've made the pellets a lot heavier by sticking additional loads like screws into them, then you can damage the spring.

Check the O-ring seal in the breech for obvious cuts and tears.

As to the red dot scope, I agree, change the battery.

What, me worry???

October 27th, 2006, 5:11 pm #6

Hi

The shot cycles just go less and less power with each shot.

It's not a red dot scope it's one where you can turn the crosshairs red.

Oliver

October 27th, 2006, 5:12 pm #7

shooting your homemade ammo and who knows what, you have probably screwed something up. So my suggestion is take it back where you got it.
In the USA it's rated at 600fps, but there is a "below 500fps" limit in Canada.
So that's around 4.3 fpe or so (figuring a normal Crosman .177 pellet of 7.9 grains at 495fps). If you subject that gun to heavy 10.5 grain and/or various odd homebrew pellets for any length of time, the chances are good that the something is going to to be adversely affected. More than likely, the spring or a seal has become damaged from all of this.
Is it crunching when cocked? That is one sure sign of a broken spring.
Did you check the breech seal? It may have a crack in it or be blown.
Or the piston seal itself may have blown.
Then again, like someone mentioned, if it was shooting higher than 500fps out of the box due to dieseling and that excess oil is finally burned out, you would now have a normal Canada-legal 4.3fpe gun. I wouldn't be surprised if a 10.5 grain pellet bounced off a brick wall while only going 425fps even with a good spring.
Jack

October 27th, 2006, 5:33 pm #8

Hi

The shot cycles just go less and less power with each shot.

It's not a red dot scope it's one where you can turn the crosshairs red.

Oliver
(1) Is it "crunching" when you cock it. If so, you probably broken the spring.
A broken spring can act erratically; good power one shot, low or none the next. Replacing it may be beyond your skill level.

(2) If it isn't crunching, you've probably blown a seal. Look at the breech seal, is the O-ring broken or cracked? Try this: cock and load your gun, lightly place some paper around the breech area, then shoot the pellet at a safe backstop (not a brick wall). Did a lot of air blow the paper off the breech? If it did, you probably just need to replace the breech O-ring.

(3) If not, you may have blown the piston seal. I honestly don't know if you are up to rebuilding that on your own though.

(4) You did write it was a "red dot". But most lit crosshair scopes also use a battery. Your battery probably needs replaced.

Jack

October 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm #9

nt

October 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm #10

(1) Is it "crunching" when you cock it. If so, you probably broken the spring.
A broken spring can act erratically; good power one shot, low or none the next. Replacing it may be beyond your skill level.

(2) If it isn't crunching, you've probably blown a seal. Look at the breech seal, is the O-ring broken or cracked? Try this: cock and load your gun, lightly place some paper around the breech area, then shoot the pellet at a safe backstop (not a brick wall). Did a lot of air blow the paper off the breech? If it did, you probably just need to replace the breech O-ring.

(3) If not, you may have blown the piston seal. I honestly don't know if you are up to rebuilding that on your own though.

(4) You did write it was a "red dot". But most lit crosshair scopes also use a battery. Your battery probably needs replaced.

Jack
The battery is under the cap, where you turn the Illumination on and adjust for brightness. Use a coin to access.
As for the gun, follow everyones advice. And stop adding things to you pellets. Things like paper clips, screws and pipe cleaner were never intended to be in a pellet gun bore. I would bet that you probably have done some damage to the rifling as well.

Hope you can get her fixed.

Shoot safe,
Walter
Last edited by airwalter on October 27th, 2006, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.