The New Gamo`s..

The New Gamo`s..

December 14th, 2011, 4:43 pm #1

I`ve had many of the older 440,220`s,etc.Never had a Gamo in 22cal,so I bought a Bigcat 22cal.Was wondering what most here think of the plastic coating on the barrel&breechblock,and how durble&longlasting the breechblock to reciever forks is?
This gun is very light for sure.The barrel seems to be high quality,ususal Gamo non choked.
I shot in dieseling brand new,and accuracy seemed good@ 30 yds with Gamo Masterpoint(my 22 cal R-9 loves these as well)fairly good with Hunters,terrible with any Crosman&superdome.Will also try FTT,and some JCB`s,along with some Beeman HP,and Lasers.
I`m getting to do a lube tune with a shrink tube tune&try to tune the trigger a little.
Now I`m getting much smoke,velocity at my 2500' elevation is good,710 CP,and 670 with the Masterpoinds,but as I said that may be from the petro boost,with all the smoke.Will post back after the tune.
Regards,Dizz

December 14th, 2011, 10:50 pm #2

this thing.Many changes inside.
I had trouble with that plastic bear trap plate,and spring.Can this be worked on with the mainspring in?What about that small beartrap spring,does the back side go under the plastic plate,or visible above?
I did lube tune.I put three layers of shrink tube on the rear guide to snug it up,it was so loose,and two layers on the top hat.It is firing very nice,a thud.
Accuracy id super with Gamo Hunter domes.I`ve shot about 15 different pellets,it is also nice with RWS SP,and Super H point.
TRIGGER: gotta do something with it.My finger is sore after 200 shots.I put a longer adj screw in,took about 1/2 last stage travel,need a longer screw.I don`t have any screws that long,with the small diameter.It will take the right metric screw,with the threads in the alloy trigger housing.Might re-thread it for another screw.
GTX won`t help this one,I think.All of the pins are also the non tamper type,would have to pop off retainer clips,replace with a c-clip,I think.
Regards,Dizz
Last edited by Samples on December 14th, 2011, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 15th, 2011, 4:32 pm #3

Just curious to see what the new rifles look like.

I come from the 440/220 and CFX days.

December 15th, 2011, 5:59 pm #4

this thing.Many changes inside.
I had trouble with that plastic bear trap plate,and spring.Can this be worked on with the mainspring in?What about that small beartrap spring,does the back side go under the plastic plate,or visible above?
I did lube tune.I put three layers of shrink tube on the rear guide to snug it up,it was so loose,and two layers on the top hat.It is firing very nice,a thud.
Accuracy id super with Gamo Hunter domes.I`ve shot about 15 different pellets,it is also nice with RWS SP,and Super H point.
TRIGGER: gotta do something with it.My finger is sore after 200 shots.I put a longer adj screw in,took about 1/2 last stage travel,need a longer screw.I don`t have any screws that long,with the small diameter.It will take the right metric screw,with the threads in the alloy trigger housing.Might re-thread it for another screw.
GTX won`t help this one,I think.All of the pins are also the non tamper type,would have to pop off retainer clips,replace with a c-clip,I think.
Regards,Dizz
http://www.network54.com/Forum/479035/m ... CFX+update

Steve

December 15th, 2011, 6:29 pm #5

Steve,but I searched thru all that last night.A new problem with a new trigger,a new learning curve.
I tried to find a way to e.mail Brian,that used the grub screws in the existing trigger,says he cured it in 5 min.Was not able to find a way to contact him.
In the end,this is a great shooting gun,but without a trigger fix it won`t stay around long!This trigger is much harder than the old Gamo trigger,seems it dosen`t have the proper leverage for an easy pull,hence the reason for the grub screws in the RIGHT places.I just couldn`t tell from Brian`s(mrnewbie53)arrows pointing to the places for the grub screws with the trigger installed to try to duplicate it!I know if I can find the longer screw it will shorthen the 2nd stage(I guess you have to order a pack of screws from MSC,with the $15 handling charge),but will do nothing for the weight,I usually lighten the trigger spring in the old Gamo,that didn`t do much for this one.
Needing Help Please,Dizz

PS owners of these new Gamo`s will have to try the 3 layers of shring tube on that plastic rear guide,it works like a charm!Just put the rear washer on after the 1st layer,as it won`t fit with all 3,but it needs this to tighten it up properely!

December 20th, 2011, 7:19 am #6

I`ve had many of the older 440,220`s,etc.Never had a Gamo in 22cal,so I bought a Bigcat 22cal.Was wondering what most here think of the plastic coating on the barrel&breechblock,and how durble&longlasting the breechblock to reciever forks is?
This gun is very light for sure.The barrel seems to be high quality,ususal Gamo non choked.
I shot in dieseling brand new,and accuracy seemed good@ 30 yds with Gamo Masterpoint(my 22 cal R-9 loves these as well)fairly good with Hunters,terrible with any Crosman&superdome.Will also try FTT,and some JCB`s,along with some Beeman HP,and Lasers.
I`m getting to do a lube tune with a shrink tube tune&try to tune the trigger a little.
Now I`m getting much smoke,velocity at my 2500' elevation is good,710 CP,and 670 with the Masterpoinds,but as I said that may be from the petro boost,with all the smoke.Will post back after the tune.
Regards,Dizz
the alum trigger block for a longer screw I had,seems to have made it where I can live with it.It was about unuseable as it was.
Dizz

December 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm #7

----works just fine. Just lay your trigger next to a print of the trigger in his thread and duplicate the angles---it's important to get 'close' but not hyper-critical. It is a MAJOR improvement!

Find a hobby shop that handles model airplane and car supplies. They'll have a rack of DuBro hardware or they're not a hobby shop!
Find a pack of 4-40 socket-head cap screws 3/4"-1" long and a matching 4-40 tap and you're in the adjustable trigger business. Can't begin to recall all the triggers I've used the 4-40s to make livable!
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

December 26th, 2011, 3:34 am #8

called "Hobby Shop" in town,might be just the ticket!Thank`s,Tom!
regards,Dizz