the long-suffering MRS. -bp is coming to DIFTA on SAT!

the long-suffering MRS. -bp is coming to DIFTA on SAT!

-bp

July 11th, 2012, 2:09 pm #1

yes, i promised to bring her a comfy chair and told her i wouldn't cook a pound of beef into one big hamburger, so she's coming along to watch over me. now the "canoles boys plus one" will have at least TWO wimmenfolk looking after them.

we'll be stopping at weis market for some trimmings like potato salad or cole slaw or something like that to share, and some hot dogs (guarantee we won't eat a whole pack by ourselves) and who knows what else to pass around.

see you there if my "loaner" car is still running

-bp

July 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm #2

Bill, Sharon is quite the saint for putting up with your various Bill-isms, e.g. periodic CO2 detonations in the kitchen, and of course airgunning and FT!

My own better half is somehow letting me attend the match this weekend, despite my having just encumbered her with a newborn third vdBerg boy.

The real enigma is why we can't persuade our dear spouses onto the FT course. I know I've bugged Jen about it many times, but I'm always politely declined - something about grown men playing with BB guns. She knows too much!

-Jan

July 11th, 2012, 11:58 pm #3

yes, i promised to bring her a comfy chair and told her i wouldn't cook a pound of beef into one big hamburger, so she's coming along to watch over me. now the "canoles boys plus one" will have at least TWO wimmenfolk looking after them.

we'll be stopping at weis market for some trimmings like potato salad or cole slaw or something like that to share, and some hot dogs (guarantee we won't eat a whole pack by ourselves) and who knows what else to pass around.

-bp
during our married life i have put my wife through the following.

1. fly fishing
2. running
3. bicycle racing (and the attendant hospitalizations)
4.large format black and white lanscape photography
5. mountaineering
6. fly fishing revisited with rod building included
7. field target

some wives spend their lives as "golf widows". By the time my wife figures out what kind of widow she is, I changer her classification.

I told her when i am 70 it is going to be archery. she just rolled her eyes.

I said, "It keeps me off the streets and out of the bars".
Last edited by LARRYPIRRONE1 on July 11th, 2012, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2012, 1:51 am #4

-bp
Hey Bill,
If your "loaner" can't make it to DIFTA, jump on a plane and head down south to PR. It's easier!
We're having a big FT shoot this coming w-end at Ceiba, at the foot of El Yunque rain forest.
Bet your wife would like that better, and you too!!!!!!
You're on, mi amigo! All visitors welcome!
Saludos,

Pedro

-bp

July 12th, 2012, 3:23 pm #5

during our married life i have put my wife through the following.

1. fly fishing
2. running
3. bicycle racing (and the attendant hospitalizations)
4.large format black and white lanscape photography
5. mountaineering
6. fly fishing revisited with rod building included
7. field target

some wives spend their lives as "golf widows". By the time my wife figures out what kind of widow she is, I changer her classification.

I told her when i am 70 it is going to be archery. she just rolled her eyes.

I said, "It keeps me off the streets and out of the bars".
packing it would be a bear. why not drive to northern va?

-bp

-bp

July 12th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

Hey Bill,
If your "loaner" can't make it to DIFTA, jump on a plane and head down south to PR. It's easier!
We're having a big FT shoot this coming w-end at Ceiba, at the foot of El Yunque rain forest.
Bet your wife would like that better, and you too!!!!!!
You're on, mi amigo! All visitors welcome!
Saludos,

Pedro
i was in the coast guard then. had a nice time down there. rode a rented motorcycle for about 3 days straight, and i found out why they call it a 'rain' forest.

-bp

July 12th, 2012, 3:41 pm #7

Bill, Sharon is quite the saint for putting up with your various Bill-isms, e.g. periodic CO2 detonations in the kitchen, and of course airgunning and FT!

My own better half is somehow letting me attend the match this weekend, despite my having just encumbered her with a newborn third vdBerg boy.

The real enigma is why we can't persuade our dear spouses onto the FT course. I know I've bugged Jen about it many times, but I'm always politely declined - something about grown men playing with BB guns. She knows too much!

-Jan
I am an EXTREMELY lucky guy.

My lovely wife goes with me to all FT shoots she can. So far, she has missed ONE.

A few things I have found are important to HER and, maybe by extension, to other womenfolk:

1.- Let them have THEIR OWN gun. Not a hand-me-down. THEIR OWN. Something purchased with HER in mind: Weight, length, side of controls (L / R), trigger setting, action style, length of pull, sights, aesthetics, . . . it ALL has to be geared to HER, not your, tastes.
2.- Take the time to TUNE it to HER. Again, this is not your gun, it's HERS. So, shut up and follow her instructions. Whatever she wants, she gets.
3.- Do NOT mess with HER GUN. Women like consistency and reliability, they will adapt to the rifle as the rifle changes slightly over time, but as long as it is not CLEARLY broken, do NOT mess with it! And even if in your humble opinion it is broken, ASK FIRST and follow instructions.
4.- Make sure the guys you get along with are reasonably educated in their speech. My wife comes from the Construction medium, so she is not afraid of swear words or four lettered words, but she enjoys a civil conversation even more than a "florid" one. Be polite and ensure that your friends are polite while she is around.
5.- Do all the packing and unpacking/cleaning for each trip. They have enough work to do to make them do additional work.
6.- You may go for days without food, women can't. Be attentive and courteous as to their eating times and always have water and snacks for her (water and snacks for you is not a bad idea, either), HEALTHY snacks.
7.- Be patient and be her coach, not her boss or her husband. On the firing line you can ONLY be her coach. Sure you can offer SUGGESTIONS for improving, but more than that you´re there to offer encouragement. Respect her individuality and her need to try things you may not agree with, but she needs to try for herself.
8.- Be attentive to her gear/clothing, take care of her as far as insect repellents and sun blockers are concerned. Make her be comfortable and she will come back. Make her "tough it out"/suffer and you will be left to go it alone.
9.- If she feels that lead is a no-no (for whatever reasons that may be her own), take the time, the patience, and the care to set her up for the non-lead alternatives. She will shoot 1/4 the amount of pellets you shoot, so cost is not an issue here!
10.- Always remember she will look up to you for guidance based on your experience, but she does not want an additional conflict area. Shooting should be a fun time to be shared, to make good memories, to deposit into your emotional bank account.

JMHO
&
Hope this helps.

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

July 12th, 2012, 7:23 pm #8

<p>Whne it comes to things like shooting, archery, flyfishing, etc etc, I have found it best to NOT be her coach.</p><p>If indeed she is in need of a coach, get some one you trust has the skill set and the patience to teach and coach. </p><p>See,s that some of the fairer sex regard "coaching" as criticism of their effort, and react accordingly. Ive seen this with my own wife, the wives and girlfriends of several of my friends.....</p><p></p>

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

July 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm #9

packing it would be a bear. why not drive to northern va?

-bp
4x5 enlarger that i modified to use a pin registration negative carrier that i made. It allows me to make masks in register and use multiple exposures with multiple masks and keep the negative in register with the immage on the easel.

I no longer have a use for it and it collects dust in my office. Everything i could do with it can be done on a computer now.
Last edited by LARRYPIRRONE1 on July 12th, 2012, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 12th, 2012, 11:45 pm #10

-bp
My wife has been married to me for 28 (and counting) years. THAT is longsuffering. Anyone or ones that have been married ten years or more is Lucky. Lucky to have found someone who can put up with him/her that long or longer.

My wife shares absolutely NO interests with me, nor I her, but in 28 years neither of us has told the other "No". That would be selfish and a marriage/relationship should be selfless. Neither do either of us let our interests get the best of us or take precedence over our union.

When you start putting yourself above your spouse your marriage is doomed.

And blah, blah, blah and so on and so forth.

But its the damn truth.

Try it and see.

Appel