the joys of "just milling about"

the joys of "just milling about"

-bp

June 1st, 2012, 1:10 pm #1

not long ago i used the mildots on my $69 scope to range a building and a tractor at 800 yards. my 7-1/2 minute topo map confirmed that i was 'right-on' and i still feel good about pulling that off.

having a topo map of your area makes confirmation easy when the ranges are beyond the capability of your laser RF.

the absolute lobbing distance of my R-9 is about 450yards at about 21 degrees, so i'm not about to try hitting the building or the tractor with my CPL pellets, but ranging is an interesting and enlightening practice. so is 'eyeballing' various distances then confirming them (or finding out how bad you are) with a laser RF.

in some ways, it is as rewarding as hitting a target and making it fall.

-bp

June 1st, 2012, 2:48 pm #2

...in the field next to the DIFTA FT course, it is NOT the latest Fantasy Shoot moving target! Probably.

I always amaze myself just how bad I am at eyeball rangefinding.

-Jan

lhd

June 1st, 2012, 5:24 pm #3

not long ago i used the mildots on my $69 scope to range a building and a tractor at 800 yards. my 7-1/2 minute topo map confirmed that i was 'right-on' and i still feel good about pulling that off.

having a topo map of your area makes confirmation easy when the ranges are beyond the capability of your laser RF.

the absolute lobbing distance of my R-9 is about 450yards at about 21 degrees, so i'm not about to try hitting the building or the tractor with my CPL pellets, but ranging is an interesting and enlightening practice. so is 'eyeballing' various distances then confirming them (or finding out how bad you are) with a laser RF.

-bp
Right. Just keep telling yourself that.

June 1st, 2012, 8:10 pm #4

-bp
"...so i'm not about to try hitting the building or the tractor with my CPL pellets, but ranging is an interesting and enlightening practice. so is 'eyeballing' various distances then confirming them (or finding out how bad you are) with a laser RF.

in some ways, it is as rewarding as hitting a target and making it fall."

I agree that ranging is a skill in itself. That's why I think it would be interesting to have a match where no shots are fired. Just write down the range estimate and your final score is the total of how far off your were on each target. Low score wins.

-bp

June 1st, 2012, 10:49 pm #5

i enjoy learning to do something well, but the reward is in the sound of that target flopping down, proving that you've not only ranged it correctly, but you also know what to do with the info once you've got it.

-bp

June 1st, 2012, 11:45 pm #6

Especially when comparing someones ranging skills with how they shoot in an actual match. Also, it would give us a good idea of what equipment and ranging techniques give the most accurate results.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:56 am #7

-bp
Unless your topo map is etched onto your scope it is considered "seperate" and will not be allowed in a match.

I am not clear about the flask in your inside coat pocket.....

-bp

June 2nd, 2012, 2:40 am #8

you mean my hydration unit? (NT)