TF87 or TF89 if you had to choose

TF87 or TF89 if you had to choose

August 7th, 2010, 12:12 am #1

Ah, the horns of a dilemma. Compasseco has the TF-87 on sale for $152.00, and the TF-89 for $120.00. Both seem very powerful. If you guys had to choose between them, which one would you buy? The -87 is suppose to be newer, and is an under-lever. Of course the -89 is a break-barrel. I'm interested in them both, but can only get one or the other. I'd go with .22 caliber. I just can't seem to find any comparative info. The -87 is supposed to be marginally more powerful, and has a slightly different trigger, due to the anti-bear trap safety (I think).
Anyway, which would you select, and why?
thank you,
darryl

August 7th, 2010, 3:08 am #2

Don't know about the 87 but I have a .22 89 that is dead accurate with el cheapo cphp. The only problem I have is is the trigger reach as I have smallish hands and it's hard to reach the trigger but I have that problem with most traditional stocks. Took a huge nasty male possum that was wrecking my basement , one shot. Mine was decent right out of the box but I might tune it someday.

August 7th, 2010, 6:52 am #3

Ah, the horns of a dilemma. Compasseco has the TF-87 on sale for $152.00, and the TF-89 for $120.00. Both seem very powerful. If you guys had to choose between them, which one would you buy? The -87 is suppose to be newer, and is an under-lever. Of course the -89 is a break-barrel. I'm interested in them both, but can only get one or the other. I'd go with .22 caliber. I just can't seem to find any comparative info. The -87 is supposed to be marginally more powerful, and has a slightly different trigger, due to the anti-bear trap safety (I think).
Anyway, which would you select, and why?
thank you,
darryl
I've read that the 89 is the same as the Beeman RS2. If so, it's a very tough, powerful rifle. It responds well to tuning, and may need a barrel recrown to get its best accuracy.

August 7th, 2010, 12:30 pm #4

That seems vaguely familiar. I hadn't recalled it thought of it until your post. I have the RS2 dual caliber, and it's a strong shooter. So I guess i'll look into the -87. No need in reinventing the wheel, eh?
darryl

August 7th, 2010, 4:28 pm #5

TF89,RS2,Walter Force 1000, and I think there is another that are all based on the same powerplant.
I've got the RS2 with .22 barrel installed. Just recently picked up a Walther Force 1000 refurb at www.sportmansguide.com for 63.97 (after $10 membership discount) and free shipping. 10 shot average was 950fps right out of the box using cheap Daisy wadcutters!

August 8th, 2010, 1:59 am #6

I have one too and it's a great deal. What I really like about this platform is the great two-stage adjustable trigger. It has to be the best trigger available in any Chinese springer on the market. I also pick up the Beeman dual cal on clearance at Wal Mart for $54. I installed the .22 barrel and now have this great platform in both calibers. As the others mentioned mine are both tight out of the box, no twang or buzz at all. No lube tunes needed, just shoot and repeat. I have many guns, including some high end stuff and yet I really enjoy these guns. I think they are both excellent values even at the regular prices.

Brian