Temecula 2012 - Let the Stories Begin

Temecula 2012 - Let the Stories Begin

May 22nd, 2012, 5:06 am #1

Below are some photos I took, I hope many others will add to the post with more pictures and commentary. It was my first Challenge and it was all it was cracked up to be. An amazingly difficult match in an amazing playground. What a treat to meet so many of the people who's names you recognize from this forum. Thanks LD and Andrea for your wonderful hospitality. I think I figured out what LD stands for "L Diablo!"

Riz and Kevin at the practice range

Practice wind tunnel

LD's Calm before the onslaught

LD provided entertainment Saturday Morning

The Terrorist 65-70yds

Only Gimmee Lane in the match

Waiting for Wacky Wayne

Lane 13 Down into the valley

Wacky Wayne & Chris Lovitt Lane 12

Leo on Lane 3 Steeeeep uphill shot

Lane 4 50+ yds uphill wind gusting from the left

LD, Wacky Wayne, Bobby & MarkG waiting for shooters to finish

Riz, Matt K and Kevin

Leo and Larry P, Piston Top 2

Henry, Andrea, Ron, Dave and James

The Real LD's Boss without who's support there would be no match Thanks Andrea!

The final scoreboard!

Leo and Larry Top 2 Piston

Bobby & Kevin Top 2 PCP

James, Riz and Brad, 3rd Place Piston, PCP and Hunter

Enjoy!
Jim in Sacramento

May 22nd, 2012, 1:31 pm #2

anytime you can win a class with a 54% you know it was a bad a..s course. my lower back still hurts this morning and i'm walking like an old man. (come to think of it, i AM and old man).

In two days i hit the 65 ish yard turist just once. Seemed like it took forever for the pellet to hit and i was holding off about 4 milldots. Watching it go down was the most satisfying shot of the match.

May 22nd, 2012, 2:48 pm #3

I can only imagine what this event is like, and it's so frustrating that all of us can't have the opportunity to experience it every year, or even one year. My hat's off to LD and Andrea, and to all the competitors and high scorers. Thanks for the report, Jim, and congratulations, Larry! I wish I could have been there to see those pellets loop!

best,

Matt

May 22nd, 2012, 4:38 pm #4

anytime you can win a class with a 54% you know it was a bad a..s course. my lower back still hurts this morning and i'm walking like an old man. (come to think of it, i AM and old man).

In two days i hit the 65 ish yard turist just once. Seemed like it took forever for the pellet to hit and i was holding off about 4 milldots. Watching it go down was the most satisfying shot of the match.
I only dropped it once but it was the highlight of my otherwise disastrous match. I think shooting in that wind with a relatively low powered springer was a stern test. As the temperature approached 100 degrees and the wind started blowing I found myself wishing I had decided to shoot open PCP - I think a .22 at 30fpe would have been best for that course - lol.

Casey

CASA Member - California Airgun Shooters Association: http://socasa.org

May 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm #5

I was paired with Leo Duran for Saturdays match and not knowing any better I suggested that we start on lane 10 which had the 65 yd target. I shoot first and hit one of 4 shots.

Leo sits down with his 14fpe springer about to shoot his first Challenge. He just finished shooting about 20 shots at the practice range, the first he touched the rifle since arriving in CA. He would have shot more but he had to call his wife in the motel and have her read off his dope sheet over the phone as he forgot to bring it with him to the match. He is also using a new scope for the first time in competition.

So with that backdrop Leo sits down and cleans the first lane, dropping the 65yd Terrorist target twice. I couldn't believe it, not only is the target a long way off, the wind is gusting like crazy at a 90 degree angle. Those were two of the best FT shots I have ever seen. We move on to the next lane (the gimmee lane) and Leo cleans that lane as well. I am thinking WOW, Leo is in the running for the overall match high score, starting out 8 for 8 on his first two lanes including one of the hardest targets in the match. I'm sure he is thinking, what's the big deal about this match, those CA boys just don't know how to shoot

I don't want to steal any of Leo's story and I hope he will finish it with all the details. Suffice is to say things took a turn for the worse. Both Leo and I discovered that our rifles were a "little" off the first day.

I can't tell you how lucky I was to get to meet and shoot with Leo. As all you who are acquainted with him know he is one of the nicest people you will ever get the chance to meet. I believe that this was true for most everyone I met this weekend. I am looking forward to next year's match in spite of what the old man says!

Jim in Sacramento
Last edited by 22Jim on May 22nd, 2012, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm #6

Thanks for the kind words Jim... I enjoyed shooting with you on Saturday.
Btw, you surely redeemed yourself on Sunday, that was some great shooting!

On that long target, I, of course, just guessed at the hold (close to the right edge of the animal), and so it went!
(If I hadn't been lucky enough to guess right, I probably would have struggled finding were to hold on the next shots).

Well, I learned that elevation does afftect springers (at 2200+ ft in Temecual, vs ~500 ft in Austin)... So the first few lanes on Saturday were OK, but it went down hill (literally) after that.

But hey, I did get a chance to get my POI back in order after the match on Saturday, so on Sunday I had no excuses... The gun did not let me down, and it just me and the elements... And that was quite a challenge!

I must be a sucker for punishment, because I'd ceratinly love to do that again!
HookEm

lhd

May 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm #7

I was paired with Leo Duran for Saturdays match and not knowing any better I suggested that we start on lane 10 which had the 65 yd target. I shoot first and hit one of 4 shots.

Leo sits down with his 14fpe springer about to shoot his first Challenge. He just finished shooting about 20 shots at the practice range, the first he touched the rifle since arriving in CA. He would have shot more but he had to call his wife in the motel and have her read off his dope sheet over the phone as he forgot to bring it with him to the match. He is also using a new scope for the first time in competition.

So with that backdrop Leo sits down and cleans the first lane, dropping the 65yd Terrorist target twice. I couldn't believe it, not only is the target a long way off, the wind is gusting like crazy at a 90 degree angle. Those were two of the best FT shots I have ever seen. We move on to the next lane (the gimmee lane) and Leo cleans that lane as well. I am thinking WOW, Leo is in the running for the overall match high score, starting out 8 for 8 on his first two lanes including one of the hardest targets in the match. I'm sure he is thinking, what's the big deal about this match, those CA boys just don't know how to shoot

I don't want to steal any of Leo's story and I hope he will finish it with all the details. Suffice is to say things took a turn for the worse. Both Leo and I discovered that our rifles were a "little" off the first day.

I can't tell you how lucky I was to get to meet and shoot with Leo. As all you who are acquainted with him know he is one of the nicest people you will ever get the chance to meet. I believe that this was true for most everyone I met this weekend. I am looking forward to next year's match in spite of what the old man says!

Jim in Sacramento
We have always used the Terrorist target, which dates WAaay back to the Ojai days in the mid eighties.

When I started my yearly event here, I inherited them from CASA, as they were considered outdated. The first year, I set it at over 70yds on a steep downhill (the KZ used to be around an inch larger, at over 3.5"). Near the end of the 2nd day, it had still not been toppled, though several hits prolly would have done it, had they hit a bit higher and harder on the KZ ... but suddenly, Vipha Miller began to sing out and jump up and down, yelling, "I GOT THE TOURIST!

Its been a fixture since, but in deference to the lower powered guns, the KZ has been significantly lightened.

This weekend, in heavy wind, I "got the tourist" twice the first day, yet on Sunday, with much less wind, I goose-egged ... I blame too much food, drink, and hours of yakking about airguns the day before.

May 22nd, 2012, 9:02 pm #8

Below are some photos I took, I hope many others will add to the post with more pictures and commentary. It was my first Challenge and it was all it was cracked up to be. An amazingly difficult match in an amazing playground. What a treat to meet so many of the people who's names you recognize from this forum. Thanks LD and Andrea for your wonderful hospitality. I think I figured out what LD stands for "L Diablo!"

Riz and Kevin at the practice range

Practice wind tunnel

LD's Calm before the onslaught

LD provided entertainment Saturday Morning

The Terrorist 65-70yds

Only Gimmee Lane in the match

Waiting for Wacky Wayne

Lane 13 Down into the valley

Wacky Wayne & Chris Lovitt Lane 12

Leo on Lane 3 Steeeeep uphill shot

Lane 4 50+ yds uphill wind gusting from the left

LD, Wacky Wayne, Bobby & MarkG waiting for shooters to finish

Riz, Matt K and Kevin

Leo and Larry P, Piston Top 2

Henry, Andrea, Ron, Dave and James

The Real LD's Boss without who's support there would be no match Thanks Andrea!

The final scoreboard!

Leo and Larry Top 2 Piston

Bobby & Kevin Top 2 PCP

James, Riz and Brad, 3rd Place Piston, PCP and Hunter

Enjoy!
Jim in Sacramento
I have to say that the man is a shooting machine ..

he has this ability to just sit down, point and shoot and hit almost everything he aims at -

NO straps, buckles, belts, pods, brackets or gizmos of any kind - just a wind flag/string off his barrel.

That kind of skill is just awe inspiring to watch.

and to end up match winner with a 81/100 under those extreme conditions is amazing.

He must be some sort of Yoga Zen Master that has the ability to slow the heart beat, lower the blood pressure, control the breathing
and lock his body into a motionless rigamortis like state - that and be able to 'see' and judge the wind better than anyone I've ever seen shoot.

Bobby C you are an amazing shooter, a great guy and I aspire to your skill level on the FT course. Thanx for setting the bar so high.

lhd

May 22nd, 2012, 10:48 pm #9

But I totally faded/choked the second day, when it counted. Bobby has the consistency I lack.
Last edited by lhd on May 24th, 2012, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2012, 1:21 am #10

by putting Bobby C on a pedestal ...

I don't shoot Hunter - but I know how hard it is -

your skills behind that gun are phenomenal in there own right ... but ya gotta admit that bipod helps keep the rifle steady !

but trying to see a kill zone at 65 yards in the shadow of a bush @ 12 power .... now that is pretty impressive all by it self

but knocking it down - damn .... I tip my hat to you Hunter experts !

cheers
JB