Target signs

June 15th, 2017, 11:44 pm #1

With the use of signs at some recent GP matches, I put together a file to print lane markers and target signs. They use letter sheets cut in half. Printed on card stock and then laminated if intended to be used multiple times. Sign numbers use a 4" high font per WFTF rules. We are scheduled to host the WORLD FT match in 6 years. Here is an xps file for a 15 lane, 60 shot course:

http://www.scotthull.us/Field%20Target/ ... 5lanes.xps

Not required at AAFTA matches but there there are a number of benefits to using them.

June 15th, 2017, 11:59 pm #2

"Not required at AAFTA matches but there there are a number of benefits to using them."

When they become common at AAFTA matches I will quit feeling sorry for myself about 12 power scopes.

June 16th, 2017, 1:22 am #3

They are common enough that I used them as bracketing features at my last three big matches. Though I still use the cinder blocks and targets more since that is what I'm familiar with. At the Nevada match, some of the signs flopped around so much in the wind that some were not all that helpful as a bracketing feature. Most were very useful.

But that is one of a number of benefits to using them - placate the 12x shooters (without resorting to higher power scopes in Hunter Division).

Also:
Easier to find targets
Target shooting order is given by the numbers

June 16th, 2017, 12:26 pm #4

With the use of signs at some recent GP matches, I put together a file to print lane markers and target signs. They use letter sheets cut in half. Printed on card stock and then laminated if intended to be used multiple times. Sign numbers use a 4" high font per WFTF rules. We are scheduled to host the WORLD FT match in 6 years. Here is an xps file for a 15 lane, 60 shot course:

http://www.scotthull.us/Field%20Target/ ... 5lanes.xps

Not required at AAFTA matches but there there are a number of benefits to using them.
This was discussed on another forum recently. Many years ago I tried numbering lanes and targets and it was a waste of effort. No benefit whatsoever and more confusing for shooters and more work for me. Now hunter division guys say they can use them to bracket. Next some will want us to give them all of the target distances! The scores for hunter, open, and WFTF at our matches are so close that it is obvious that the hunter guys seem to range just fine without the added confusion and work of more signage. If it is a big deal for anyone they can shoot in a different division or, if available shoot in unlimited class.

June 16th, 2017, 1:20 pm #5

The OP is the only one asking for target numbering (and not currently shooting Hunter rifle, BTW). Instead, a larger number of Hunter division shooters simply prefer that scope magnification be sufficiently scaled (more mag) to focus range find through-out the limits of the game.

June 16th, 2017, 3:40 pm #6

This was discussed on another forum recently. Many years ago I tried numbering lanes and targets and it was a waste of effort. No benefit whatsoever and more confusing for shooters and more work for me. Now hunter division guys say they can use them to bracket. Next some will want us to give them all of the target distances! The scores for hunter, open, and WFTF at our matches are so close that it is obvious that the hunter guys seem to range just fine without the added confusion and work of more signage. If it is a big deal for anyone they can shoot in a different division or, if available shoot in unlimited class.
NT

June 16th, 2017, 3:44 pm #7

I think it is funny that shooters that use 50x scopes that are capable of range finding to +- 12 inches at 55yds, who can click to hold their cross hairs dead center on the KZ every shot and can dial down the power to shoot are threatened by the possibility that the Hunter class may actually have a technique that allows them to range with some precision (+- 2-3yds) beyond 40yds. Even if we were given the target distances we still have to shoot at 12x and hold off. As is so often said in these type of discussions, what difference does it make, you are not competing against hunter class shooters anyway.

If anyone thinks bracketing is the answer, they should try it and see how effective it is. Scott is the only shooter I know that competes at the highest levels of the sport who effectively uses bracketing and he could and did compete at the same level before his interest in bracketing.

But to the real point of the post, target numbering. The last two matches I shot had numbered targets and I found them quite helpful. They clearly identify the shooting sequence of the targets, they are invaluable in allowing you to quickly locate the targets in a given lane and sometimes can allow you to glean wind information. All of which are pluses for "ALL" classes of shooters. Obviously the European FT shooters see some value in doing the same. As he pointed out the technique is not required and is up to the discretion of the MD. If you don't believe it adds value, don't use it.

I believe Scott was trying to pass on his experience with target numbering as opposed to some plot to allow the Hunter class some special advantage.

Jim in Sacramento

June 16th, 2017, 4:00 pm #8

NT

June 16th, 2017, 6:29 pm #9

You said: "it was a waste of effort" ... "No benefit whatsoever" ... "more confusing for shooters" ... "more work for me" -

The first three claims are untrue. More work for you is true. Running a GP match is a huge amount of work. I don't mind a little extra work. If you want to go less, why don't you skip the lane signs as well. It would save you some more work. Less to "confuse" the shooters. NOT.

"Next some will want us to give them all of the target distances!"
Slippery slope? It's interesting how logical fallacies are presented so often in these arguments. To me, it's an indication the presenter is short on valid arguments.

"If it is a big deal for anyone they can shoot in a different division..." - No, they can't. And what does Division have to do with signs?

I'm guessing that you think signs are ALL about ranging. It's not. Telling the high scorer at a big GP match they lost because they shot the wrong target order. That's not fun. I'd gladly put in the extra work up front, rather than deal with target order instructions, and protests, and any resentment from competitors. Shoot the targets in their numbered order. Confusing? - NOT.

Are you concerned about the ranging aspect of providing signs? True, it will make bracketing easier for shooters. But they will still need to learn the skill to do it effectively. More shooters will probably take up the skill. Outside of AAFTA, range finding by means other than focusing is the norm for all HFT games. The match director can do a little bit of work to encourage Hunter shooters to learn a new skill that is directly related to the HFT game. I'm willing to put in a little extra effort.

If you really don't like signs, don't use them. I already put the work in, so I decided to share and make my solution available to others.

June 16th, 2017, 6:38 pm #10

The OP is the only one asking for target numbering (and not currently shooting Hunter rifle, BTW). Instead, a larger number of Hunter division shooters simply prefer that scope magnification be sufficiently scaled (more mag) to focus range find through-out the limits of the game.
I made the print file available in my post. I asked for nothing in this thread.