Take care of yourselves, guys...

Take care of yourselves, guys...

April 1st, 2012, 8:23 am #1

In the past two years, in just one department of ~65 machinists at my company, we've had three guys have heart attacks (one just last week that was fatal, at 54 years old), two strokes (one fatal) and two die of cancer. Oldest guy in this group was 64, youngest was 51. We've also got four diabetics in the dept and it's getting to the point where I'm surprised when I find out someone DOESN'T have high BP.

I've lost count of the people I've worked with who've died or been hit with major medical problems in the past six years I've been at my job (a facility with ~1000 employees). Seems like every time I turn around lately someone says, "Did you hear about.....? He's in the hospital."

Do what you can for yourself to not become a statistic before your time, especially if you have family depending on you. I've seen too many tragedies.

April 1st, 2012, 10:40 am #2

start taking BP meds for stage two hypertention, I'm 48.

q1q

April 1st, 2012, 1:52 pm #3

In the past two years, in just one department of ~65 machinists at my company, we've had three guys have heart attacks (one just last week that was fatal, at 54 years old), two strokes (one fatal) and two die of cancer. Oldest guy in this group was 64, youngest was 51. We've also got four diabetics in the dept and it's getting to the point where I'm surprised when I find out someone DOESN'T have high BP.

I've lost count of the people I've worked with who've died or been hit with major medical problems in the past six years I've been at my job (a facility with ~1000 employees). Seems like every time I turn around lately someone says, "Did you hear about.....? He's in the hospital."

Do what you can for yourself to not become a statistic before your time, especially if you have family depending on you. I've seen too many tragedies.
You put junk in, it breaks down. Environmental factors are there too but primarily it's the western diet, it tastes good but it sucks.

April 1st, 2012, 2:05 pm #4

Life , this one and one more . . . . .

April 1st, 2012, 2:11 pm #5

ain't so fine lots of time and contradicts the claims that get your attention on the front label.

April 1st, 2012, 2:19 pm #6

You put junk in, it breaks down. Environmental factors are there too but primarily it's the western diet, it tastes good but it sucks.
regardless of diet. it can only be controled by meds such as statin drugs. thats a medical reallity unfortunately. some of those can't tolerate statins and that is a real problem. My wife is one of those. she eats a low fat diet with vertually n red meat and still her colesterol can only be controled by meds. Statins attack her liver and that complictes things. at 66 it is hard for her to get on an aerobic excersize regime because she had a mild stroke in surgery (bypass).excersize can help by changing hdl/ldl ratio but still some folks will have to do other things.

the western diet is a culpret in most cases but not all.

April 1st, 2012, 2:26 pm #7

others instead of internalizing it , well , it works for me.

April 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm #8

My first career move in to physical security work when I was 20 years old, worked at Otis Elevator. There was a guy named Brian, 33 years old that I 'replaced'. Didn't ever know the guy, but I guess what happened was he went home after work one evening then didn't show up for the morning shift. Later that day his lady friend went to his apartment to check on him, as advised from the security supervisor. Well, he was still in his uniform sitting in his recliner chair - DEAD. The coroner report said he most likely died soon as he sat down of a heart attack.

Such a shame to be so young and have such a thing happen. Now that I am that age, reality of it all is kinda' scary. I do take care of myself, aside from the smoking. Still, anything can pop up with great surprise.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

April 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

you will not see people living off lettuce and multivitamins with hardering of the arteries , thats for dam sure.

<span style="font-family:Verdana;font-size:14px;font-style:italic;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;text-transform:none;color:#000000;">"i never was much for book learnin"</span>

April 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm #10

Last edited by Duane30 on April 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.